bi-winning

New question here. Canadian Tax Exemption

When ordered online, from the US, and shipped to Canada, should "bicycles under $1000 and related safety equipment" still be exempt from Canadian taxes? Or does the law only apply to items purchased in Canada?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mud washes off
    Can't really say on that one for sure, but I think it is an Ontario tax exemption, and not a federal, so maybe that helps a bit....

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I friend of mine very recently purchase his lighting set in the US and brought (drove) it across the border declaring it, he was charged ONLY the GST at the Canadian Border.

You can always apply for the tax back if they charge you. On the back of all Canada Customs Forms there is provision to apply for it back. But the item your bring across should be described as something exempt from the Ontario Sales Tax on the original Exporters (senders) documents.

My last set of Lupines I ordered from the US shipped via USPS and were described as "Bicycle Lights" on the Customs Docs... I didn't pay any taxes or handling fees at all.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    I ask, because i was charged GST and PST and handling fee on my order from Dinotte. The package was marked Lights - Leaded....

What the heck is a leaded light? lol

I'm going to request a refund for the PST (aka RST - Retail sales tax).
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Definitely put in the claim. I've made claims to the CBSA for excess taxes and always got it adjusted to be fair. As long as you're not trying to cheat them it usually works out in the end... unfortunately they aren't very good at assessing things in the first place.

bi-winning
    I emailed Dinotte about the issue, so that perhaps this can be prevented in the future if anybody else out there in Ontario makes an order.

For anybody who does not know about this tax exemption, see the link below. It explains what is included and excluded.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/English/notices/rst/61.html

At first i though i could get all taxes back, but I think the exemption only applies to the Ontario provincial sales tax (PST) - referred to as RST (retail sales tax) in the link

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I purchased a light set at the T.O. Bike Show and was not
    charged either tax .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Dinotte light

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I emailed Dinotte about the issue, so that perhaps this can be prevented in the future if anybody else out there in Ontario makes an order.

For anybody who does not know about this tax exemption, see the link below. It explains what is included and excluded.

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/English/notices/rst/61.html

At first i though i could get all taxes back, but I think the exemption only applies to the Ontario provincial sales tax (PST) - referred to as RST (retail sales tax) in the link
    Hi rkj,

I picked up the Dinotte 500 LED and rode it in the fall, has better light perception than the Lion Arch, I find it a tad not as bright as the ARCH but its 500 lumens plus so no probs. Which light did you get?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    Hi rkj,

I picked up the Dinotte 500 LED and rode it in the fall, has better light perception than the Lion Arch, I find it a tad not as bright as the ARCH but its 500 lumens plus so no probs. Which light did you get?
    I decided to go with a 200L dual setup, base on the input i got from this thread. Due to weather and poor trail conditions, I have not been able to do a trail test yet.

from another post:

Some initial impressions:

I opened the box, and was amazed by how small the light engine actually is.
    The Lithium batteries are also pretty light (I have the 4 cells). Big difference over the old Nickel based battery packs when it comes to weight vs. size.
    The light input is not "zomg WOW!" It is 400 lumens, so don't expect it to look like a 30W HID
    As for the tax rebate, I sent in the appropriate paper work, but have not heard back yet. I guess they don't move particularly fast?

Shorthills Cycling Club

nimble biker
    I decided to go with a 200L dual setup, base on the input i got from this thread. Due to weather and poor trail conditions, I have not been able to do a trail test yet.

from another post:

As for the tax rebate, I sent in the appropriate paper work, but have not heard back yet. I guess they don't move particularly fast?
    revenue canada works really slow.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    revenue canada works really slow.
    I can't say I'm surprised. It has only been a few weeks. If a few months pass, and i have not heard anything, i may start to be concerned.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bi-winning
    Just an update on this thread. I finally got a rebate for the PST on the lights i ordered. It took an awful long time, but it's $29 back in my pocket.

Shorthills Cycling Club

1946:2006:2066

almost three months

Just an update on this thread. I finally got a rebate for the PST on the lights i ordered. It took an awful long time, but it's $29 back in my pocket.
    Did you get any interest added on?
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDog46
    Did you get any interest added on?
    Nope. But if i send another letter, maybe i will get another $0.04 back four of five months from now.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ask, because i was charged GST and PST and handling fee on my order from Dinotte. The package was marked Lights - Leaded....

What the heck is a leaded light? lol

I'm going to request a refund for the PST (aka RST - Retail sales tax).
    Prob your battery, Lead is toxic and a poison and chances are that they declare it to make sure its not an issue at the border. Lead would also, if X-rayed. require a look into.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Gears, beers and slices..
    rkj,

Which forms did you send in? I followed the link, but didn't see any specific forms. A little coin in my pocket wouldn't hurt.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    rkj,

Which forms did you send in? I followed the link, but didn't see any specific forms. A little coin in my pocket wouldn't hurt.
    I received my refund not too long ago as well.
    It took a looooong time to process.

The form to request a refund is on the reverse side of the Canada Customs form attached to the package. It is a multipart form usually stuck to the box with really good glue. The first copy or top portion is what you need to carefully remove and fill in with an explaination of my you want a refund.

Supporting documents are a good idea as well. I mailed them a copy of the Ontario RST Tax Exemption notice from the Government of Ontario website.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    I received my refund not too long ago as well.
    It took a looooong time to process.

The form to request a refund is on the reverse side of the Canada Customs form attached to the package. It is a multipart form usually stuck to the box with really good glue. The first copy or top portion is what you need to carefully remove and fill in with an explaination of my you want a refund.

Supporting documents are a good idea as well. I mailed them a copy of the Ontario RST Tax Exemption notice from the Government of Ontario website.
    That pretty much sums it up. Along with the form on the back, i sent in a copy of the receipt for payment of the lights, as well as for payment of the taxes at the post office. Along with that, i sent a printout of the product from the Dinotte web page, to clearly show that the product is bicycle lights. And finally, a short note about why i deserved a refund.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Gears, beers and slices..
    Thanks guys. I may just get enough back to buy another battery - that'll make me happy.