Sir Hurt Locker

Canadian Online Retailer

Hey guys, I have always been looking for an online retailer of bike parts that is based out of Canada. This would support the Canadian economy as well as eliminate cross border duty fees. Pinkbike has anounced today that Calgary Cycles has started an online store, the selection isn't huge but its not bad. Click here to check out the website.
    Cheers,

Seb

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    ...eliminate cross border duty fees.
    FYI bicycle parts are generally tariff free. Complete bicycles are hit with 13%, and complete wheels are 6.5%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Live Free or Ride!
    It's ok, still much cheaper to go thru ChainReaction. $1000 for an XTR crankset at CC can be had for $500 at CR. A choice like that ain't no choice at all.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    It's ok, still much cheaper to go thru ChainReaction. $1000 for an XTR crankset at CC can be had for $500 at CR. A choice like that ain't no choice at all.
    Some components may be cheaper at Chain Reaction, but you should always shop around. I bought a new SRAM PG990 cassette from Calgary Cycles Online store and paid $69.99CND for the cassette, with shipping and GST it came to $98 and change. The same cassete is selling for $95.84CND on Chain Reaction, $72.97CND on Jenson, and those prices are excluding shipping costs and taxes. You always gotta shop around, Calgary Cycle is just another store to check.
    Cheers,

Seb

Hack Racer
    Thanks for the calgary cycles online shop link. I ordered two SLR saddles. One black and one Yellow for 89 CDN a pop. Pretty good deal.

Sir Hurt Locker
    So I ordered a SRAM PG990 cassette yesterday and it arrived today! Fast shipping and the cassette arrived in perfect condition, now I have to go get a new chain.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    check out www.bikeparstCAN.com
    They price match online bike retailers, even the usa ones
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Nothing like supporting you local bike shops....

Hack Racer
    at least the calgary shop is in Canada.

I've purchased so many things from chain reaction cycles in UK, starbike out of germany, hong kong ebay, wiggle...

I just go where the prices are best and there is availability. What I never understood was when a customer who has cash in hand (me), walks into a store, asks for X product. The guy in the stores tries to tell me that my selected X product is no good (this is after a week of reserach), and tries to sell me product Y he has in stock collecting dust at full MSRP. Or how a store wants me to pay full MSRP for a product he doesn't have in stock, wants me to put in the full payment before he orders and has me wait a week for it to arrive so I can drive back to the store to pick it up. It's a guaranteed sale with no chance of the product collecting dust. To me it should be a no brainier for a small discount (like 10%) or something like that... In these cases I just keep thinking why not in this case just cut out the middle man and go directly to a source who will have it cheaper and faster?

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage
    check out www.bikeparstCAN.com
    They price match online bike retailers, even the usa ones

hmm... that link takes me nowhere

mtbr member
    oops..spelled it wrong... www.bikepartsCAN.com
    Sorry
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dgage
    oops..spelled it wrong... www.bikepartsCAN.com
    Sorry
    Cool - I like how the Elixir R is on sale, striking out $100 for the red tag price of $135! That's right on sale from $100 to $135!!!

Thanks for the link though - one more to add to the list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbeaAbsalon
    Nothing like supporting you local bike shops....

Canadian Bike shops just have to evolve and stay competitive with online stores. That is why we started www.bikepartsCAN.com it is a huge market and now we are not missing out on it.
    There are lots of people out there that come into the shop and ask questions and receive a wonderful customer experience when they buy parts in the store. I try and stock the products that I believe in and myself and my staff ride.

Thanks to those of you who support us, in the shop or on the web.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    dunno what the big deal is...
    both cycle solutions in toronto and phat moose cycles in ottawa (just to name a pair i know of myself) take phone orders and can mail stuff out, they're also LBS's

can't swear on the rest of lbs's that have websites but i figure most of them would ship...

why bother trying to get something from another province when the locals ship as well?
    that bikepartscan website doesn't have much in terms of variety on their site so I'm not seeing the attraction?
    (example: they sell precisely 5 mountain bike tires... i have more than 5 different tires in my basement...MEC sells more than 5 types of tires and they're not a bike specific shop!)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
    Cool - I like how the Elixir R is on sale, striking out $100 for the red tag price of $135! That's right on sale from $100 to $135!!!

"This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 31 December, 1969."

Holy shiznit, where have I been all these years...

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    dunno what the big deal is...
    both cycle solutions in toronto and phat moose cycles in ottawa (just to name a pair i know of myself) take phone orders and can mail stuff out, they're also LBS's

can't swear on the rest of lbs's that have websites but i figure most of them would ship...

why bother trying to get something from another province when the locals ship as well?
    that bikepartscan website doesn't have much in terms of variety on their site so I'm not seeing the attraction?
    (example: they sell precisely 5 mountain bike tires... i have more than 5 different tires in my basement...MEC sells more than 5 types of tires and they're not a bike specific shop!)
    Online shopping is all about convenience, the more convenient you can make something the more likely you are to get fans of that service. Now don't get me wrong, I do a lot of my shopping at my LBS but sometimes when I can't find something at the LBS I'll hop online, browse the endless amounts of products, find something I like, get an awesome deal, and have it shipped within a week. Convenience like that is why people go online.

Phoning in and ordering something, not as convenient as going online and reading reviews, comparing prices, and looking at pictures of said item. If a bike shop puts the extra effort in to open an online branch of the shop, they deserve the extra business.

My 2 cents
    Cheers,

Seb

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    at least the calgary shop is in Canada.

I've purchased so many things from chain reaction cycles in UK, starbike out of germany, hong kong ebay, wiggle...

I just go where the prices are best and there is availability. What I never understood was when a customer who has cash in hand (me), walks into a store, asks for X product. The guy in the stores tries to tell me that my selected X product is no good (this is after a week of reserach), and tries to sell me product Y he has in stock collecting dust at full MSRP. Or how a store wants me to pay full MSRP for a product he doesn't have in stock, wants me to put in the full payment before he orders and has me wait a week for it to arrive so I can drive back to the store to pick it up. It's a guaranteed sale with no chance of the product collecting dust. To me it should be a no brainier for a small discount (like 10%) or something like that... In these cases I just keep thinking why not in this case just cut out the middle man and go directly to a source who will have it cheaper and faster?
    My sentiments exactly, there's definitely something to be said for supporting the local economy but sometimes the online savings are just too much to reasonably pass up. I'm not nearly wealthy enough to skip out on a savings of $100 just to support my LBS at this point in time.

I think the whole LBS experience can get a bit overrated too, at least you only had to wait a week for an order, I've been told a week and end up waiting a month without so much as a phone call letting me know of the delay. Meanwhile I could have got the same part cheaper and within 48hrs from JensonUSA. I've also had a salesman really push a bike on me that was clearly too big, it was the model I was interested in just in the wrong size, but the bigger one happened to be in stock so he tried to convince me it would be fine with a few adjustments, even though my nuts straddled the top tube when I stood over it Been a bit skeptical since.. in any case I don't feel guilty about online shopping because I still take my bikes into LBS's several times a year for service, which to my understanding is where the shops make most of their money anyway.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    CalgaryCycles prices on a LOT of items that were great a month ago have gone up significantly.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    I checked out both sites "quickly" and found them like most LBS are around double what can be found on the internet?? I would love to buy from my LBS but they need to sharpen there pencil a lot for that to happen.
    Thanks for the post, I will have a look at them now and again.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    CalgaryCycles prices on a LOT of items that were great a month ago have gone up significantly.
    The same PG990 cassette that was mentioned earlier in this thread that was $69.99 is now $114.99.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club