Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No. Just No. Moderator

Canada at MTB Worlds 2011

After hosting a very successful MTB worlds last year in Mont St. Anne, Canada is back on the road again for 2011 in Champery, Switzerland.

Going into the competition our top hopes look to be Catharine Pendrel in the Women Elite XC, and defending Junior Women's DH world champion Lauren Rosser, who torched the field last year in Quebec for a huge win, but may face new challengers on Euro home soil.

Steve Smith made a big splash with his silver medal run in the Elite Men DH event, and hs been stepping up to the podium all season long at World Cup events, but is unfortunately on the sidelines for the Worlds now as a result of a recent injury.

Pendrel finished a close 2nd in the world cup season points in 2011 after taking the title last year, but scored 3 race wins including a strong wrap up to the season with a victory in the recent World Cup Finals held in Italy. Her top rival this year, Julie Bresset of France who narrowly took the World Cup points title, will actually be contending for the newly-created Women's U23 division instead of the Elite class even though she has obviously proven her talents regardless of age. Pendrel has done it all for the past couple of years, with the notable exception of the biggest stages at World Championship and Olympic venues. Late-season peak seems well-timed. Let's hope this is her breakthrough at the big comps, as a precursor to more of the same at the 2012 Olympics.

Marie-Helene Premont inthe Women's Elite XC has had a resurgence this year finishing 4th in the World Cup season points with very consistent results, but will have to work to recapture the form of past years to make her a realistic contender for the top step. Still probably our top medal hope from Eastern Canada though.

Lots of other talented athletes across all disciplines competing for Canada, but they'll have to come from darkhorse status to make an impact. Special shout out to our forum's very own swabag, who is a late addition to the Elite Men's XC squad. Go Team Swabag!

A few of the events have already been completed. Canada's XC relay team, which posted many wins and podium finishes from 2000-2009 couldn't manage to come up with the goods finishing in 7th spot, although arguably some may consider it wise to save matches for the more prestigious individual events.

Other interesting notes;

Women's DH World Champ Tracy Moseley represents for the gravity crowd on the XC course also, suiting up 1 lap with for Great Britain's XC relay squad and found it to be an interesting experience (see link below). Props to Moseley.

Moseley Mixes It Up In Worlds Team Relay | Cyclingnews.com

The XC crowd gets to crossover in the other direction, at least for some parts of the course. Nice optional line shown below from the XC course to save a couple of seconds per lap for those who choose to find a bit of air with the combination of lycra/clipless/high post/20lb carbon fibre rigs;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canada at MTB Worlds 2011-champerygap.jpg  

Last edited by Circlip; 09-03-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Switzerland, duh...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Go Team Swabag!
    +1!

And Bresset *just* won the U23.

Top Canucks, :

22 Andréanne Pichette (Canada)
    26 Mikaela Kofman (Canada)

Mikaela's result is especially impressive considering she landed on her face earlier in the week. Ouchie!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Gold for Canada!

Catharnine Pendrel overcomes past demons and delivers on the big stage, with gold in the Elite Women's XC. Nice to crack that egg of nailing the big event prep and execution, in advance of the 2012 Olympics. Maybe first Elite championship for Canada in any MTB discipline since Roland Green in the early 2000s?

For Eastern Canada, Emily Batty racked up an amazing performance with an 8th place finish, for a solid progression of her still-young career, while stalwart Marie-Helene Premont scored another top 10 for EC rolling in just afterward in 9th place. Gold + 3x top 10 = amazing day for the Canadian women and Eastern Canada. Amanda Sin of Ontario, plus Jean Ann Berkenpas, and born and bred former ECer Catherine Vipond also in the event further back in the results, but all sticking on the lead lap instead of getting pulled like many others.

In the Men's Elite XC, Geoff Kabush salvaged a sub-par season (following his best ever season in 2010 strangely enough) with a 10th place result, and top North American. Derek Zandstra of Ontario was 3rd Canadian across the line in 26th spot, capping up his most successful overseas campaign ever this past year. More current or former Eastern Can-Con with Adam Morka, Matt Hadley, and Team Swabag further back, but it was always going to be tough going for these guys to avoid getting lapped starting so far back at the line according to their respective UCI rankings.

Yesterday in the 4 cross I noticed Harold Woolnough who is now a B.C. resident, but formerly from Ontario until a couple of years ago unless I'm mistaken, clearing through the 1st elimination round, and ending up in 25th spot out of about 50 total competitors. Mid-pack finish pretty good for a discipline that is often in flux for the top spot. No Canadian women in the relatively small 4 cross field from what I could see.

Lots of Canadian riders in each of the XC Junior Men/Women, U23 Men/Women events in the previous couple of days, including many from Eastern Canada, but all in very competitive classes with Frederique Trudel's 12th spot in the Junior Women's being the closest to cracking the top 10. Congrats to all the young riders for taking a run at it.

DH events still to come!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    First yeah Pendrel Killed it, just taking a break from the party across the hall to check some emails,

Tough going, I was moving up then flatted on the drop and had to run/ride basically from the farthest point from the pit to change out the wheel, after that I knew my laps were numbered.

Also found out the hard way how slippery wet metal bridges are, pretty sure my left toe nail is coming off soon.

Well Back to the Party, World Champ in the House

P.s. Still bummed about missing the 24solo copeland ride.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Good old Kamloops well represented.

Oh, check the new Velonews. Wicked pic from the WC stop in London England. Catherine Pendrel clearing the rock section via the harder line. If you look her wheels have a good 5 inches of air between the rocks and the wheels.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post

Top Canucks, :
    Okay.. What the Flinking Blick is going on?? First back to back Gold's, Svein Tuft inning and now this? I can picture a whole bunch of Euro's wandering around confused... "Non, Non, Cest Impossible"
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Good old Kamloops well represented.
    We'll never hear the end of it from Parsons now.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    We'll never hear the end of it from Parsons now.
    Add to that a Silver at the Track and Field World's.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Anyone know if that Skier Cross kid raced? One of our national team Skier Cross guy's qualified in his age group for the World's this year. If he raced who would have set a Cnadian first... first male to race in 2 differnt World's in the same year.

Can't recall his name..

No. Just No. Moderator
    Anyone know if that Skier Cross kid raced? One of our national team Skier Cross guy's qualified in his age group for the World's this year. If he raced who would have set a Cnadian first... first male to race in 2 differnt World's in the same year.

Can't recall his name..
    Which discipline? Not many age group cats at worlds other than Elite / open. Just U23 for XC, and Junior for both DH & XC.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Which discipline? Not many age group cats at worlds other than Elite / open. Just U23 for XC, and Junior for both DH & XC.
    XC type

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    O and...
    Kamloops Number 1.. Kamloops Number 1....Kamloops number 1...Kamloops Number 1....Kamloops

Number 1..Kamloops Number 1

I can here the party from here.

No. Just No. Moderator
    XC type
    Anything stand out from links below? (scroll down in each link for full results)

Junior Men XC
    UCI Mountain Bike World Championships: Junior Men Cross Country, Route Maps & Results | Cyclingnews.com

U23 Men XC
    UCI Mountain Bike World Championships: Under 23 Men Cross Country, Route Maps & Results | Cyclingnews.com

sock puppet
    congrats on racing for Canada man. everyone here knows what it takes to get to that level...

though, between racing in Switzerland and getting lost with Matt - i hear you...

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    though, between racing in Switzerland and getting lost with Matt - i hear you...
    Just edited my thread starter to say Champery, Switzerland, instead of Champery, France. Duh... at least someone is on the ball with their geography, or at the very least can read properly.

sock puppet

Switzerland was my most favourite

destination back in the racing days... St. Moritz, as they call it "the top of the world" is one of the most impressive jet set ski resorts on earth... Ah some good memories from there...

Just edited my thread starter to say Champery, Switzerland, instead of Champery, France. Duh... at least someone is on the ball with their geography, or at the very least can read properly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Circlip, I can see France from where I am sitting so pretty close, also your thinking of Chris Del Bosco, racing DH today, Pretty sure he made it to the skier cross finals at the 2010 games.

humber river advocate
    Nice optional line shown below from the XC course to save a couple of seconds per lap for those who choose to find a bit of air with the combination of lycra/clipless/high post/20lb carbon fibre rigs;
    that would be ugly, snipering that gap on a dh bike is impressive enough. perhaps there is a black box xc/dh transformer bike we don't know about with 46" wheels?
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 09-04-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: 46" secret wheels
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Up, Up, and Away!
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    that would be ugly, snipering that gap on a dh bike is impressive enough. perhaps there is a black box xc/dh transformer bike we don't know about with 46" wheels?
    OK, here it is!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    OK, here it is!

genius!

i'll get my safety top hat, riding gauntlets, and goggles...
    Support TORBA

Up, Up, and Away!
    You'll notice it's full suspension, and candy apple red!

ups and downs
    Holy doodle, can't imagine crashing hard enough to make a BigAir CO2 canister explode.in my jersey pocket...

CCA - News

09.03.11 - CANADIAN CATHARINE PENDREL CROWNED MOUNTAIN BIKE WORLD CHAMPION

Pendrel wins last World Championships before the Olympics to conclude “best season ever”

(Champéry, SUI – September 3, 2011) Canadian mountain biker Catharine Pendrel of Kamloops, British Columbia, who grew up in Harvey Station, New Brunswick was crowned World Champion on Saturday in the Olympic disciple of cross-country at the 2011 International Cycling Union (UCI) Mountain Bike World Championships in Champéry, Switzerland.

Pendrel (Team Luna Pro), the favourite entering the event as the #1-ranked rider in the World, crossed the finish line after 31.8 kilometres of racing with a time of 1:46:14, and in doing so retains her status as the best in the World.

“It’s marvellous. I am so happy that I finally won a medal at World Championships. Not only it’s a medal, but it’s a Gold one. It was awesome, with lots of people cheering alongside the entire course,” said Pendrel, 31. “I really like this course, I really like the terrain. I think it’s a challenging course. I knew I could put it together here. The relay was really good confidence for me with the fastest lap for the women.”

Canada’s Alison Sydor was the last Canadian women to win the World Championships title in the cross-country discipline, back in 1996. Sydor is still Canada’s greatest women mountain biker with 10 World Championships medal, including three World titles.

“Welcome home, stripes!” I was probably the most nervous I have ever been before a race. I knew I was ready, I knew I had done all my preparations. The support has been amazing from Team Luna, Team Canada, and Own the podium who helps out a lot of the athletes and the program. I was just tried to control the nerves, and my Canadian teammates were just awesome in keep me grounded.

Cindy Devine won a World Title in the Elite downhill category in 1990, while Lauren Rosser won the World title in the women’s junior downhill race last season.

Pendrel was fourth at last year’s World Championships in Canada, and fourth at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Summer Games. This season, Pendrel finished second of the UCI World Cup Tour, posting three victories and two silver medals in seven races, as well as winning the Hadleigh Farm Invitational, in Essex, the 2012 Olympic test event.

Pendrel first took part in World Championships in 2004, where she finished 46th. Since then, she went on to the 2007 Pan-American Games, the 2008 Pan-American Championships and the 2010 UCI World Cup title.

Throughout her career, Pendrel has 16 World Cup podiums, including eight victories, as well as winning the last three Canadian Championships titles.

Emily Batty of Brooklin, ON (Team Subaru-Trek), was racing for the first time in the Elite category at World Championships, finishing in eighth position. Batty conlcudes an excellent season, progressing steadily race after race to finish in eighth position of the World Cup rankings.

Marie-Hélène Prémont of Chateau Richer, QC (Team Rocky Mountain-Maxxis) crossed the finish line in ninth position, 5:01 seconds behind Pendrel’s winning time. Prémont, a former UCI World Cup Champion, ranked fourth at the conclusion of the 2011 UCI World Cup Tour this year. Prémont, a pharmacist by profession in Mont-Sainte-Anne who is currently doing her apprenticeship, was happy with her performance.

“It was a difficult race as I was fighting a back injury. During training I crashed and a bottle of CO2 (used for tire inflation) exploded in my back pocket, and that incident almost made me miss this race. My legs felt really good throughout the entire race,” said the 2004 Olympic silver medallist and 2006 World Championships bronze medallist.

Canada’s women program is ranked #1 in the world, largely thanks to the World Cup performances from Pendrel, Prémont and Batty. Today, Canada posted three results in the Top 10, showcasing Canada’s strengths.

Jean-Ann Berkenpass finished 30th, followed by Catherine Vipond in 31st position. Amanda Sin finished the tough race in 38th position.

KABUSH STRONG PERFORMER ON THE BIG DAY

In the men’s race, Geoff Kabush of Courtenay, BC (Team Rocky Mountain-Maxxis), a seven-time Canadian Champion and Olympian, finished his race in tenth position, in a field that included 2008 Olympic champion and four-time World Champion Julien Absalon of France, the defending World Champion Jose Antonio Hermida-Ramos of Spain, the 2011 World Cup Champion Jaroslav Kuhalev and former World Champion Nino Schurter to name a few.

In doing so, Kabush, a long-time veteran of the sport and performer on the big day, posted his best result of the season. Last year at Worlds, Kabush had also posted his best finish of the season.

Canadian champion Max Plaxton of Victoria, BC (Team Specialized Factory) posted the second best Canadian performance, finishing in 22nd position with a time of 1:52:53. Last year, Plaxton finished 39th at the World Championships.

Derek Zandstra of Trenton, ON (3-Rox Racing) also posted a great result, crossing the line in the 26th position.

Canadian Cyclist - Photo Galleries

But what's with Catherine Vipond's tongue sticking out in most of the photos of her...

Canada at MTB Worlds 2011-vipond1.jpg
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    You'll notice it's full suspension, and candy apple red!
    red makes it fast
    Support TORBA

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    No kidding. From reports I read many of the riders required a bit of time at first to mentally reconcile with the drop in practice earlier in the week, but by race day most of the riders were apparently hitting it successfully.

I think this is the drop swabag is saying he flatted on though. If swabag checks in again maybe he can tell us more about his setup e.g. HT or FS, tubes or tubeless, etc.?

No. Just No. Moderator
    Wow, just checking up on the day's results and the DHers are killing it. Bronze medals in both of the women's events from Lauren Rosser in the juniors (tough to repeat last year's gold, but nice try!) and Claire Buchar with what must be the performance of a lifetime in the Elite.

Luke Stevens topping out Canada's efforts in the Junior Men's DH with an excellent 7th place.

The euros are tough on home soil. Amazing results from all of the above. Didn't see any EC content in the above cats, but I could have missed something

We definitely missed Steve Smith in the Elite Men's DH, who would have definitely been a medal contender. In a stunning turn of events Aaron Gwin, who was the DH kingpin this entire year, rolled across in 12th place on what I understand was a very slick course prone to mistakes. More information on that topic to come later I'm sure.

Skier cross dude Chris Del Bosco (mentioned in previous posts) brought home the top Canadian finish in 44th, and then another EC results(?) with Rob Fraser in 48th, followed by Remi Gauvin in 64th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast