Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Canada Cup Sudbury

Who's making the drive up?

Just announced that Catherine, Emily, Max and Jeff will be there along with all the other usual fasties from around Canada.

Canadian Cyclist - World-class Riders to Race Sudbury Canada Cup

My parents live in Sudbury, so I'll be up for a long weekend, pre-riding Saturday.

What tires should I run??????

bi-winning
    Wow, nice lineup.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2007
    While I haven't raced there, I did ride last year's course.

It's totally worth the drive. Unique terrain, lots of rocks, roots, climbs, drops... And really fun!

Bring tires with strong sidewalls. The rocks can be sharp.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Just announced that Catherine, Emily, Max and Jeff will be there along with all the other usual fasties from around Canada.
    Yes, I have confirmed I will be there with the other Olympians.
    Ohh....you said fasties. I thought you said fatties.
    Then yeah, you meant the other Geoff.

I assume everyone who's racing Nationals will be there. Should be an excellent weekend.

I've never ridden there but I'll be up Friday.

mtbr member
    I lived in Suds 20 years ago. It was really hard to find MTB trails at the time. Nice to see some improvement to the point of having such a huge event.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im heading up for sat pre ride. I missed the good sections last year. Looking forward to the rocky bits.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Wow, nice lineup.
    Emily was at Hardwood today. With her hubby.

I ran RaRa front and FastTrack back last year in dry conditions. No issues at all. Fun course. Very fun. Worth the trip. I hear there will be new bits and pieces of trail. Considering it is a Canadian cup - I am sure it will be memorable.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Out of town this weekend for a bachelor party, but to everyone coming up: have a great time! There's lots to do in the summer months (month? haha) is Sudbury.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hear it's really bumpy especially on the double track - some new single track sections added but similar to last years course.

Dualie course for sure, my frame is cracked so I'm hoping it doesn't explode mid race!

mtbr member
    I'm in!!!
    Loading up the car with the family, food, and bike stuff and on the way up there to pre ride the course this afternoon..
    Weather looks awesome for the weekend and I'm excited to ride on some unfamiliar terrain!!

Preapared to get a beating up there!

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    After the pre-ride, I thought it was a pretty easy course. After the race, I changed my mind. Hardest race of the year for me, I think...

Sooo bumpy, found it hard to pedal with the HT. Not too mention the killer hot sun.

Great weekend in Sudbury! Thank you Pulse Racing. Onwards to Nationals!

mtbr member
    What a day on the bike.

First, huge props to Pulse racing and the Walden mountain bike club. That course was awesome. In saying that, while I can respect the course, I personally hated it. It was rough, I got thrown around like a hot potato and struggled to put down power and ride smooth. There wasn't one section I looked forward to, thought was fun and put a smile on my face. About halfway through the first lap I realized I was out to survive, from the heat, from the rocks, from mentally breaking down and sobbing like a child on side of the course.

But I finished and sometimes it is great to get decimated, realizing you suck monkey ballz.

If it's on the schedule next year, I'll be back.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...

My feet hurt soooo bad after the race. I couldn't walk without extreme pain. Took about an hour and a half before I could walk somewhat normally. They are still very sore.

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    After the pre-ride, I thought it was a pretty easy course. After the race, I changed my mind. Hardest race of the year for me, I think...

Sooo bumpy, found it hard to pedal with the HT. Not too mention the killer hot sun.

Great weekend in Sudbury! Thank you Pulse Racing. Onwards to Nationals!
    How did it compare to South March?

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    How did it compare to South March?
    Good question. Not that close to SMH in my opinion. The battering I took riding these trails reminded me of Beartree before you improved it or Rockhopper, however overall I actually think it's more like illegal gats trails than SMH. The course we did didn't have any features, just a lot of rough singletrack from many roots & small super pointy rocks and even the trail itself was super bumpy. The rocks were smaller on average than in SMH but there were a few shield rock faces that were very similar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Totally disappointed. If I had not rode it last year I would have felt it was built the night before and they ran out of time. I think as a trail network, it is awesome. the rock features are really nice, but as a race course it was just to crude for me. Already on a tight budget this year, I wish I could put the 200 I spent on gas, entry ect back in the bank! I came out ok with just the regular sores of race day.

I wont be returning next year. But would drive to sir sams twice a year if they had 2 events.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Totally disappointed. If I had not rode it last year I would have felt it was built the night before and they ran out of time. I think as a trail network, it is awesome. the rock features are really nice, but as a race course it was just to crude for me. Already on a tight budget this year, I wish I could put the 200 I spent on gas, entry ect back in the bank! I came out ok with just the regular sores of race day.

I wont be returning next year. But would drive to sir sams twice a year if they had 2 events.
    HTFU

it is racing. you don't complain about the course. you get better!

many a good racer got humbled today. many walked out licking their wounds. those that finished - must have left everything out there.

the course was very similar to last years course - probably a touch easier. Weather was similar as well. organizers and walden bike club OBVIOUSLY put a lot of work in the course - and deserve a lot of appreciation for that. THANK YOU ALL!

the course took the better of me as well, biatch slapped me often, but i had the last word. i finished in an awesome one on one race with my dear team mate - LeHair... we pulled Renshaw - Farrar head butts on each other sprinting up the short wood chip hill before the last rocky singletrack... it was priceless and the girl standing by the course had her jaw dropped in awe. We laughed it out at the end of the race... It was tough and awesome day in the saddle....
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know I know. It sounds like I am whining....I guess I am . I love technical, I really do. I think there was a lack of refinement is maybe what I am trying to say. I wanted to quit on the 2nd lap. I held out and had to slow down but I was glad I made it through in one piece. It really was a hard course.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I know I know. It sounds like I am whining....I guess I am . I love technical, I really do. I think there was a lack of refinement is maybe what I am trying to say. I wanted to quit on the 2nd lap. I held out and had to slow down but I was glad I made it through in one piece. It really was a hard course.
    i was cursing and begging the marshal to disqualify me for unknown reason on my last lap, so that i can go to bed sucking my thumb. it hurt too much.

but not because the course was tough.

it was because i was not good enough to rip it and laugh in it's face... got my arse handed to me and determined to work harder and come back stronger...

there were some great results - Jeff Shikaze won his tough category - congrats to Jeff. John Macillop podiumed in my category after having a great race...

for your consolation - Emily Batty did not win either.

instead of skipping it next year - you should come back stronger. end of the story.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You are kinda right.

So far all of the races I have done in the last year and a half have been tough but I had fun on all of them even though I was struggling. But I was always having fun. This one just sucked the life out of me. Racing is serious to me, but I need to enjoy doing it. Mabye I will feel different next year. I definitly need to be better to consider coming back.

Mabye Im just cranky from my drive home. My pride is lost somewhere under a blueberry bush. If found please return.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Course was awesome! - WMBC did huge work vs. last year to make it smoother but the double track was still bumpy as hell. It's still less technically demanding than Buckwallow last year IMO, but the sharp rocks are hell on the tires. I saw Batty flat and ride out the rest of her lap on a flat tire across those rocks, badass.

Only thing I didn't like was the heat at the top of the climbs on the rock faces, almost got heat stroke on my 4th lap! That and the dust was insanity at the 1:30 single track in the first half, I could feel my eyeballs getting coated with dust which is an odd feeling.

mtbr member
    It was a great course; I wish I could ride something similar more often!!!! Would make me a better rider for sure!
    After the first lap of my pre ride on Friday I almost packed up and called it....
    My opinion was: bumpy, rocky, rough; not my type of course. I gave myself a pep talk and decided to man up.
    Race went as usual,after a pretty bad start I started to work my way up, I was catching guys that kept me motivated. I tried to avoid all the sharp edges just to make sure I wont get a flat.
    When I crossed the finish line I already accomplished my goal; to finish this race as hard as I can!
    When I checked the results I was in shock; I was on the podium!!!!
    Couldn't stick around to watch the 1.30 race, this weekend took a toll on our little one,so we had to bounce right after the podium...

Congrats to everyone who survived this amazing race!!!!
    After the long drive,my usual Kronenbourg Blanc tasted much much better than usual!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canada Cup Sudbury-996796_10151477751551650_1067275785_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sounds like the race course and terrain in Sudbury is as badass as the people who live there. The short summer, mosquitoes and long-cold winter, makes for some tough mofos.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That course was phenomenal. I had a flat tire - if it hadn't been for that (which I changed on course) it would have been a landmark result to go with what I saw as a landmark race for me. Maybe it was fitness, maybe it was the 'technical' aspect of the course, don't know. Regardless, I loved it. Coming down Logan's Run put a HUGE smile on my face. Fun fun fun. Can't recommend it enough!

(But, do come ready to 'attack' the whole course... every moment needs your utmost!)

SAINT
    Mar 2008
    The course was a true representation of what riding is like in the north...it is hard on you and your bike if you can't pick a good line...and you can't be tentative at all on the rocks or they will get you. Speed is your friend on that course if you have good eye lead. People who wined about flatting out did not listen to what the WMBC crew mentioned---bring good tires. I have ridden in Sudbury for the last 15 years and have only flatted 5 or six times....The course is not and was not made to be a 20 km/h avg speed course. It is an old school MTB course unlike the swooshy smooth stuff in the south...The course was the terrain and the lines are much straighter.The roadies had no advantage here and it was funny to here them complain..about the bumps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast