nimble biker

can we get cheaper bike price from US than here?

Is it cheaper to buy whole bike from the US due to the high loonie? Canadians have rushed to buy US cars and import them into the country. I wonder if we can get cheaper prices for bikes down south.

Evil Jr.
    The quick answer is maybe.

If you look at the MSRP on say something like a Trek Madone 6.9 Pro (yes, I know it's a road bike, deal with it), the US price is about $800 lower. If you bought the bike in a state with a lower sales tax rate than Ontario (say Michigan at 7%) and factor in the exchange, you will save about $1000.

However, to get away with all that, you have to find some way to sneak it across the border.

Also, I imagine that the difference will get smaller and smaller as you travel down the price scale (a 6.9 Pro retails for around $8,500).

Happy hunting!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Live Free or Ride!
    Ebay. I bought a brand new 2007 Anthem 1 for $1600 CAD + $129.00CAD shipping.
    MSRP here in Canada is $2800-3200. The problem with ebay is one, you have to deal with the whole bidding and being outbid thing, and two most don't offer any type of warranty. IMO it's still worth it
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    I don't think that getting it across the border should be a problem. Just tell them you went down to ride some different trails or a race or something. just make sure you actually ride so it looks used. I have taking my bike across several times before and never had any hassles.
    It's go time

Looking for Adventure
    Yup, but not in all cases.

I bought a 2007 Rocky Mountain Element 50 for $2200 U.S., that goes for cheapest in Canada, $3000. (and the bike is MADE IN CANADA!)

A friend of mine bought a 2007 Cervelo Soloist Carbon with Ultegra components for $3300. Same thing in Canada goes for $4000 sale price. (and this bike is MADE IN CANADA!)

In all cases add $200 shipping and about $30 brokerage. Shopping online in the U.S. is soooo much better than driving around here in Canada......add $100 gas cost in Canada.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

conjoinicorned
    i've shipped several bikes to and from the states, shipping and brokerage has never exceeded CAN$150. being from alberta i have no sales tax issues

the prices are waaaaay cheaper in most cases. if i include parts orders, i've saved literally thousands over the years, even when our loonie wasn't so high stuff was still often cheaper. if you catch some of the big retailers during a sale (check out jensonUSA) you can literally save thousands on a single purchase.

the other advantage of shopping online is you get whatever bike you want, i find the LBS is not usually great for selection of brands....

sorry canada, and sorry LBS...but you just don't cut it when it comes down to $$$$
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    I don't think that getting it across the border should be a problem. Just tell them you went down to ride some different trails or a race or something. just make sure you actually ride so it looks used. I have taking my bike across several times before and never had any hassles.
    did this for 2 bikes...saved me $1900
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    I guess things have changed at the border...

Back when I raced my motorcycle in the US, on the way back into Canada you got stopped at customs and they sometimes asked for proof of ownership for your bike. If you didn't produce it, they could/would take it until you could produce the required documentation, or pay appropriate duty and taxes on the assessed value. I got a customs card (can't remember what it was called ) for the bike before entering the US so that I could bring it back and forth hassle-free.

I'd suggest you check with Canada Customs, since I don't see any reason why they would change policy on that - otherwise folks could bring things into the country without paying taxes .

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    I guess things have changed at the border...

Back when I raced my motorcycle in the US, on the way back into Canada you got stopped at customs and they sometimes asked for proof of ownership for your bike. If you didn't produce it, they could/would take it until you could produce the required documentation, or pay appropriate duty and taxes on the assessed value. I got a customs card (can't remember what it was called ) for the bike before entering the US so that I could bring it back and forth hassle-free.

I'd suggest you check with Canada Customs, since I don't see any reason why they would change policy on that - otherwise folks could bring things into the country without paying taxes .

Cheers

Since I live in windsor I cross the detroit/windsor border quite often in the summer to go ride the southern michigan trails. I have been bringing my bike across for 3-4 years and never once have I been hassled about proof of ownership. I even bought the bike in the US and just threw it on my bike rack when I came back across.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got back from a trip to North Carolina and I was questioned about my bikes both on my way out of Canada and back into Canada.
    Customs asked how I could prove that they were my bikes and I just jokingly replied that they could call my local bike shop back in Kitchener. I was also asked if I had registered them with Canadian customs before entering the States with them. Uh, no. Didn't know I had to do that. I'll be sure to do that next time.
    Bikes are definitely cheaper down south, especially now that our dollar is so good. Could have got myself a nice road bike for real cheap.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think it depends on what brand you're buying. Some companies have adjusted their pricing to more accurately reflect the current exchange rate.

When I ordered my Ibis Mojo SL from the LBS here in Toronto in October last year, before I could even bring up the issue of the higher $CDN, they mentioned the price would be the same as the US one. They even gave me an additional 10% discount on it. It worked out to be cheaper than the regular Mojo which I had bought the year before which was only about $200 over the US price. They also ordered a set of I9 wheels with a price just below the US costs online. Saved me all the hassle of dealing with shipping, customs and warranty.

To be able to support a local shop and know that if something goes wrong, I can get it looked at here is just icing on the cake.