Thread: Cambridge, ON

mtbr member

Cambridge, ON

I grew up in Cambridge, but never rode mountain bikes when I lived there. I'm in Cleveland now, and I'm going back to visit my family next month. My boyfriend and I are going to take our bikes with us and attempt to get out to a couple trails. I've read a bit about Puslinch Lake and Hydrocut trails in Cambridge. Is there anything better than that to check out within maybe a half hour or so? We'll be coming in from Buffalo at the Peace Bridge and going through St. Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington etc. as well, so maybe we could even get to something on the way in. Any thoughts? I'd love to get to the Don Valley trails in Toronto, but I don't think we'll have the time for it on this trip. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

mtbr member
    The Don is way more than a half hour away. You have both Kelso and Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest in Milton and Waterdown in Burlington. Kelso is more of a fast XC place. Hilton/AF has fast sections but also serious rocky sections that are far more challenging. Waterdown has a bit more climbing and good varied terrain, but is a bit discontinuous, and might not be the best choice with limited time.

Workin for the weekend!
    Puslinch is a great variety of trails, I wouldn't hesitate to dig into that, as its probably closest. Mohawk Agreement forest is nice, if you like it technical. Waterdown is nice if you're looking for a climb and some rocky trail...

Puslinch has lots to offer, look at this...

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5107/...hmap150dpi.jpg

mtbr member
    I wasn't really sure how far the Don Valley trails were from the QEW, but I've heard there's a lot of trails and you can spend all day there, so probably best for a day when we're not on a time limit.
    Thanks, I'll check those out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Puslinch is a great variety of trails, I wouldn't hesitate to dig into that, as its probably closest. Mohawk Agreement forest is nice, if you like it technical. Waterdown is nice if you're looking for a climb and some rocky trail...

Puslinch has lots to offer, look at this...

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5107/...hmap150dpi.jpg
    Awesome, that one is about 15 minutes from my parents house where we'll be staying, so we'll definitely check it out!

Evil Jr.
    It'll be worth it. It's my favourite place to ride in Ontario.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Puslinch is great, my favorite too but make sure you get to the hydrocut as well.

mtbr member
    Puslinch for sure. The Don is fun, but unless you have a personal tour guide to take you through all the stuff off the beaten path, I don't think it would be the best use of your time. The trails at Puslinch are a blast as GM said!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Puslinch is great, my favorite too but make sure you get to the hydrocut as well.
    Agreed. Hydrocut is my second favourite. If you're clever (and quick, ), both are quite doable in the same day.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Hydro Cut ,,,,, Hydro Cut ,,,,, Hydro Cut

mtbr member
    Don Valley in Toronto is too far away and too intense if you just want to get out and have fun without knowing the trails. If you're going to Toronto anyway and have time for a solid bike ride, then ya go check out the Pottery Road parking lot

Otherwise, skip that huge traffic-fest that is Toronto and stick to the local stuff: Puslinch, Hydrocut, Kelso area, Turkey Point, want to say Hamilton but I've never ridden there personally, and Woodstock because I live here and the trails are not bad. Also trails in Brantford (Hardy Road) and McLennan Park in Kitchener (dirt-jumps, pump-track, free-ride lines, 4x DH course, aka Mount Trashmore the old city garbage pile lol)

Ontario Trail Maps

With the Waterloo Hydrocut trails so close to Cambridge, if that leaves you wanting more challenging terrain you might as well pack-up the car and book a very long day-trip up to 3-Stage in the hills above Collingwood
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Come to Waterdown. I'll guide you around. More challenging than the Hydrocut, but not signed, so you need to know where you are going.

mtbr member
    Perfect, since Puslinch Lake and Hydrocut are the closest (I think) and recommended I'll check those two out this trip, and I'll try and get back home for a less rushed trip sometime in the summer or fall. Thanks everyone!
    Oh, one more thing. Are those two trails fairly well marked? I never realize how dependent I am on my cell phone until I cross the border and it basically becomes a paperweight. So there's no GPS if I get lost.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Storms85 View Post
    Are those two trails fairly well marked?
    Puslinch - no. There are some old blue marks on the trees that take you through a good loop, but they're easy to miss. Hyrdrocut has stellar markings and is one-way.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I think we'll have a little bit more time to explore the second day we're there, so maybe we'll do Hydrocut the first day and Puslinch the second day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Puslinch is only about 2X3 km so you can't get lost. The 401 is on the north side so you can just follow the sound of the highway back to the parking lot.
    It's best if you can get someone to show you where to start, point out some of the best trails but it flows pretty good after that.
    I've ridden there many times and still see trails that I have no idea where they go or start. With it being so small, it is possible to just jump on trails as you see them.

mtbr member
    I have only ridden Puslinch twice and I just meander around and turn here and there randomly and plot it all in the GPS. I look at it once in a while and see if there are any blank spots and head in that direction. I figure that both times I covered the whole thing twice with many loops of the technical area on the easternmost part. Hard to get lost though. The worst that will happen is that you end up at a road.