Evil Jr.

A Call For Volunteers: The Good Friday Road Race Comes to Ancaster!

As many of you know, aside from posting inanities on MTBR, one of my (many) other pursuits is as Race Director for the Good Friday Road Race, which is O-Cup #1 this season.

The race is completely new for this year which will make things a lot of fun but one thing never changes: we still need tons of volunteers. So, if you have some time to spare on March 29th and are looking do something fun (take it from me, there's no better place to watch a road race than from the Commissaire's car), give me shout.

Marc

The Good Friday Road Race is moving to Ancaster for 2013 and we're looking for volunteers. The 61st running of the race will be centred around the Ancaster Fairgrounds on Friday, March 29th and we need Course Marshalls and Drivers.

All volunteers will be provided with food vouchers for two of Hamilton's finest food trucks (The Dirty South and Gorilla Cheese) and students can earn several valuable community service hours.

This year's race promises to be a great rebirth of an Ontario institution and the Hamilton Cycling Club would love for you to be a part of it. Join us as hundreds of Canada's finest cyclists light up the rolling countryside that we call home.

To volunteer (or to find out more), please contact the Race Director, Marc Risdale, at marcrisdale (at) gmail.com.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    So. The race was AWESOME! The weather was impeccable; the competitors were top-notch and the venue was totally sweet, if I do say so myself.

Thank you to all the volunteers and the riders for making the 2013 Road O-Cup #1 a tremendous success! I had a great day and I sincerely hope everyone else had as much fun as I did.

Pics! (more to be found here, all credit due to my good friend Jon Safka who rode moto to get these shots and many more for Candian Cyclist): Canadian Cyclist - Photo Galleries

My girl Sarah leading the Elite 1/2 "Chicks"
    A Call For Volunteers: The Good Friday Road Race Comes to Ancaster!-sara.jpg

Here's my swipe at adding some "Spring Classic" vibe. I call this bit the "Ardennes".
    A Call For Volunteers: The Good Friday Road Race Comes to Ancaster!-dirt.jpg

I think my course was seriously underestimated. Check out this excellent corner!
    A Call For Volunteers: The Good Friday Road Race Comes to Ancaster!-epic.jpg

Total domination. This guy killed the Elite 1/2 field by over 2 minutes, as predicted. Course design: 1, peloton: 0. (Hey, check out kaikara in the wheel truck!)
    A Call For Volunteers: The Good Friday Road Race Comes to Ancaster!-killed.jpg

All things being equal, I don't plan to change a thing for next year so get ready. We had the Dirty South and Gorilla Cheese food trucks delivering the goods plus tonnes of music and good times. Mark your calendars for 2014!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, over 500 riders and 1,000 spectators. Not too shabby!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Congratulations, it sounds like a huge success!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Huge props to Garage Monster. I saw him doing a lot watching, eating Huevos Rancheros from the Dirty South Truck and generally what appeared to be enjoying himself. That can only mean (and confirmed from what I observed) he had the day nailed from an organizational stand point.

mtbr member
    Just as a side note. I was lucky enough to be the driver for the comm car that was in charge of following the breakaway in the M1. For a cycling fan, it was pretty awesome to watch the race unfold like that from right behind them. Haven't had an experience like that. Watching people crack, them arguing about taking pulls, attacks to try and break up the WOB monopoly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good Friday is a special day for most competitive road cyclists in the area and has been a tradition for most cyclists I know. The new course was absolutely perfect, slightly rolling combined with the spring wind created some challenging conditions which were perfect for attacks and teamwork. Loved the run in through the Ancaster Fair Grounds, the gravel and the overall feel of being part of well organized event that was spectator friendly and accommodating. The Hamilton Cycling Club put on a fantastic event, I wish we had a few more like this!

I dd what you see there.
    I wanted to get out and watch this for a bit but I've been on a bit of a spending spree lately so I signed to work the holiday instead.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    I wanted to get out and watch this for a bit but I've been on a bit of a spending spree lately so I signed to work the holiday instead.
    Not to worry, the OCA posted a really swell bunch of pictures HERE.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    As many of you know, aside from posting inanities on MTBR, one of my (many) other pursuits is as Race Director for the Good Friday Road Race, which is O-Cup #1 this season.

The race is completely new for this year which will make things a lot of fun but one thing never changes: we still need tons of volunteers. So, if you have some time to spare on March 29th and are looking do something fun (take it from me, there's no better place to watch a road race than from the Commissaire's car), give me shout.

Marc
    I suck. I had semi-committed to coming to volunteer this year and then didn't. I'm sorry.

I have a pretty good excuse, though. I was invited to go on a Don run with Smarty, Nspace and Larry on Friday morning. I couldn't pass that up. It is kind of the Toronto equivalent of being ask to sit with the cool kids at lunch :-)

And if it's any consolation, I got a flat. Even though I have tubeless tires.

Looks like you had a great day for it....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post

And if it's any consolation, I got a flat. Even though I have tubeless tires.
    The legendary Donaconda strikes again.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I suck. I had semi-committed to coming to volunteer this year and then didn't. I'm sorry.
    Not to worry, we had a record number of volunteers this year. There's just something magical about that Ancaster location!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Really nice article in our local paper about the race:
    here