mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Buying used rental DJ bike from Joyride?

Has anybody had any good or bad experience buying used rental DJ bikes from Joyride? Understandable that every bike is a case by case basis, but just curious if there are any generalities of good or bad from Joyride's used bikes. Some have said "stay clear [of buying used rentals from Joyride]" and others have said "should be fine". Any first-hand experience or advice appreciated.

mtbr member

Buying used rental DJ bike from Joyride?

I rented one 2 weeks ago and had a blast! I normally ride a XC style MTB so it was fun to try something different. Absolutely loved it on the pump tracks! Here's a pic of the one that I happened to get that day.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Keep in mind rental bikes are like rental cars. And are treated the same...poorly.

Whichever one your interested in check the frame for damage of course. And all the other parts.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Lemmy Rules!
    I bought a Misfit Nummers DJ from Joyride about a year ago. On the whole it was a good move. The price was right, and as the bike had never been ridden outside I did not really have to worry about grit wearing down the moving parts. It's also a very simple bike (SS, one brake, basic shock) so there is not a hell of a lot that can go wrong with it. I had to replace a couple of small things (seat clamp bolt was stripped and I added chain tugs to help with the chain tension). I've had 0 issues with it and when I go to Joyride I ride the snot out of it. A DJ bike will really enhance your enjoyment of the park and for what I paid (<$400) it's hard to go wrong.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Similar debate I've pondered to buying a used DH bike at BM - in this over lawyer-ed world I would expect any rented 'action sport' items like bikes would be maintained pretty well. Obviously with the risk of injury Company X doesn't want their rental equipment failing and causing injury.

Am I naive?!

Evil Jr.
    I'd say depending on the price, the risk is pretty low. As Unglued says, DJ bikes are pretty simple and sturdy. Give the bike a good test-run before you buy and check all the obvious stuff (fluid leaks, smooth running hubs/rotors, BB, headset, rear hub engagement...).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.