mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Buying items off Ebay that are from Hong Kong

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. What was the shipping costs, duty if any? You can buy parts for less than half price than the LBS. Or too good to be true.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. What was the shipping costs, duty if any? You can buy parts for less than half price than the LBS. Or too good to be true.
    - shipping costs will be calculated with your purchase before you make a payment;for the most part, it's free shipping;
    - duty - no duties;
    - too good to be true? - just use common sense, i would not hesitate buying carbon bottle cage, but carbon stem - not bloody likely

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have bought several times from HongKong sellers on Ebay. Buy from DealExtreme as well.
    As long as they have good feedback and you use PayPal, shouldn't be a problem.
    Shipping cost should show on the auction. I usually try to pick an auction with shipping included.
    Don't think I've ever been hit with duty or even taxes on the small stuff I buy there.
    In my experience, the larger the box, the more likely you get nailed for taxes.

There can be problems with counterfeit stuff so you need to do your homework.
    I've bought front and rear Avid BB7's for less than the LBS wants for one. Lights as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Plenty of good experiences buying stuff off ebay out of china. Just use common sense like the others said...
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Plenty of good experiences buying stuff off ebay out of china. Just use common sense like the others said...
    FYI. I had my eyes on the Shimano SLX brakes. I haven't heard anything about Shimano brakes knock offs. Unless you guys have?

max_29
    haven't heard of shimano brakes knock offs either.
    slx brakes are made in Japan me thinks, and to set up a shop to make a fairly complex part to sell it for peanuts is not something that forgers would do.
    It's way easier to bend a pipe, put a sticker on it and sell it as EA90 bar or glue together a few layers of papier mache, put a sticker on it and sell it as EC90 bar.

mtbr member
    I've bought a lot of bicycle stuff from China and the only major drawback is having to wait a very long time for it. I actually bought a carbon seam and carbon handlebars, fork, saddle and seatpost for one of my roadies and I rode them hard all summer without any problems whatsoever. Having learned the hard way, I would suggest staying away from the mechanicals though. The Shimano 105 rear mech that I bought for my cross bike weighs and shifts like a Sora.