Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Bus Is Boring

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RiotMTB 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think the biggest hurdle to getting more kids to ride to school is the lack of secure bike parking in a lot of areas. When I was in grade school, the only option was locking my bike up against a chain-link fence - not the greatest - and I don't think things have changed much since then.:skep:

#3 ·
That's what I did in middle school and high school, I could walk half an hour to school or get there in under 10 minutes on my bike. Since I was a lazy teen who valued sleep, the choice was easy, bike it. I wasn't alone back then either, there were always at least a half dozen bikes locked up to the bike racks even in the middle of winter, and in the warmer months the racks were full and we were locking our bikes to bleachers, parking lot signs, and fence poles. I'm not sure how things are these days in my old schools, I should probably ride by and check things out one day.

On a sidenote, my high school was less than a minute away from the local mountain bike trails.
There was a small group of us who'd go ride the trails during lunch, and more often than not we were late for our afternoon classes. The best was when someone took a crash and walked into class dirty and bleeding, and then got sent to the nurse's office.

#7 ·
Wow, by comparison my son's school (480 students) is a bit lame. I think we're pretty much down to just him and a handful of others at the bike racks now. Funny thing is, residents of the neighbourhood do complain about the amount of car traffic on local streets...

tax's? there child? ridding? I'm guessing the lack of a grade 8 diploma means that worthy correspondent does not even know what trolling is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.