Evil Jr.
    I think the biggest hurdle to getting more kids to ride to school is the lack of secure bike parking in a lot of areas. When I was in grade school, the only option was locking my bike up against a chain-link fence - not the greatest - and I don't think things have changed much since then.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's what I did in middle school and high school, I could walk half an hour to school or get there in under 10 minutes on my bike. Since I was a lazy teen who valued sleep, the choice was easy, bike it. I wasn't alone back then either, there were always at least a half dozen bikes locked up to the bike racks even in the middle of winter, and in the warmer months the racks were full and we were locking our bikes to bleachers, parking lot signs, and fence poles. I'm not sure how things are these days in my old schools, I should probably ride by and check things out one day.

On a sidenote, my high school was less than a minute away from the local mountain bike trails.
    There was a small group of us who'd go ride the trails during lunch, and more often than not we were late for our afternoon classes. The best was when someone took a crash and walked into class dirty and bleeding, and then got sent to the nurse's office.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle to getting more kids to ride to school is the lack of secure bike parking in a lot of areas. When I was in grade school, the only option was locking my bike up against a chain-link fence - not the greatest - and I don't think things have changed much since then.
    Gabi's elementary has racks... big metal type. Full all fall and 30 bikes even when it was minus 9 last week.

I build my own.
    It's kind of cheating on Vancouver Island but there are days...

A day like this will still have 20 bikes in the rack in a school with a population of 450.

The Bus Is Boring-jan11072.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think the biggest hurdle to getting more kids to ride to school is the lack of secure bike parking in a lot of areas.
    Whereas in other areas, there may be other deterrents:

Quote Originally Posted by Commenter on the Article WHO WAS WILLING TO USE HIS REAL NAME
    The Parents of said kids should also be willing to PAY for the emotional stress for the driver of said vehicle that ran there child over. Just because your child has a bike and you pay tax's does not mean they should be ridding it
    I think he was probably trolling... I hope he was trolling.... really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow, by comparison my son's school (480 students) is a bit lame. I think we're pretty much down to just him and a handful of others at the bike racks now. Funny thing is, residents of the neighbourhood do complain about the amount of car traffic on local streets...

tax's? there child? ridding? I'm guessing the lack of a grade 8 diploma means that worthy correspondent does not even know what trolling is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    tax's? there child? ridding? I'm guessing the lack of a grade 8 diploma means that worthy correspondent does not even know what trolling is.
    Kay, you nailed it!!