mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Burlington MEC Bikefest

No comments yet on the bikefest?

I was there for most of the day, quite enjoyed it. Much better than when it was in Spencer Smith park. Never did rain, cleared up late in the afternoon. Trails were amazing, far better than I expected, hard and packed, maybe a tiny bit greasy. They stood up to all the traffic with no damage at all. In a few places, you could see tire tread marks but no ruts. All that traffic will improve them, make them shed water.

Got some great deals from the MEC junk. Towards the end of the day, they are more or less giving it away so they don't have to take it back.
    Won a small prize in the raffle. Nice presentation for the grand opening of the trails. Domestique was there with coffee and more importantly, beer. Brant Cycle and Freewheel were there with demo bikes. Few other misc booths.
    Gorilla Cheese truck was there but didn't try it - too cheap for $9 grilled cheese.

Took an Intense HardEddie (carbon 29er hardtail) out, first time on carbon. Other than being very light, I didn't really notice much difference between it and my steel 29er hardtail. Must admit, felt better in the corners, wasn't on the brakes quite a much but that might have as much to do with the beer as the bike. HardEddie frame is $2000, was told the build I rode would run around $5000.
    My steel frame was under $200, build probably not much more than $1000. Was surprised, didn't find the XT hydraulic brakes to be much different than my BB7's. Maybe on more challenging terrain.

Workin for the weekend!
    Gorilla Cheese is a terrible waste of money. Absurd pricing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Was down as the VBDiva was at a OVA conference. Tried to get down but by the time was near Dundas wouldn't have had enough time to ride plus socialize. So went exploring other trails in Dundas.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    cheese from a gorilla must be very rare. is that why its so expensive?