Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,154

    Of Bumps and Spit.

    Full disclosure: I have not ridden the Leslie St. spit since the 1990s.

    The infrastructure:

    Toronto News: The Fixer: Speed humps an unwelcome bump for high-speed cyclists - thestar.com

    The review:

    Speed bumps installed at Toronto's Tommy Thompson Park (Includes first-hand account)

    The counterpoint:

    Ruining a good thing - thestar.com

    Quotable Quotez:

    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Port Authority employee
    they were put in for one reason only: To slow down spandex-clad, commando cyclists who ride too fast in groups and menace pedestrians
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaljournal.com
    May the future bring us more speed bumps on all Toronto trails.
    ghettocruiser's thoughts:

    1. WTF is a commando cyclist? As opposed to the guys who wear boxer-briefs under their bike shorts? Does that make them more or less of a menace?

    2. There are two types of cyclists in Toronto. One of these types cannot hop over a speed bump.

  2. #2
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Albio****s r gonna be pissed when they find out. Of course maybe they'll just go around! Though they are roadies so.. ick mud, yuk. pbbbttt. The TRCA's plan might work, until one of the roadies eats **** on the bump and sues them. I know speed bumps on the road are a miserable failure... will this just result in interval training until they learn how to hop?

    I am wondering how many accidents were there before the speed bumps were installed or did the TRCA just decide as one article states, the cyclists were being "unparkly" ... Lastly how many snakes were killed? Was the population impacted...? Tour de mup racers are annoying.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: secret agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    629
    I remember that there were bumps there last year. I guess there are more of them now. The bumps I remember were pretty easy to jump over with the MTB. The last time I was there, I was riding with my wife and I was trying to teach her how to jump over them. I would not want to be constantly jumping over bumps with my road bike though. I ride quite a bit of road in the spring and fall when the trails are done. I have a beef with roadies in a group. Up around Milton, they can take up the entire road when there is only one lane. I had two incidents there with this type of behaviour. In one case a group was hogging the entire road going in the opposite direction forcing traffic onto the other side of the road where I was riding. As I passed them, I could see several cars with drivers that were totally pissed off. In the other incident, I was caught by a group that was inconsiderate when passing and again took up all the road. Even 3 or 4 people going 25-35 k would be inappropriate during the summer weekends. In the two times I rode through there, there were people walking, cycling, lots of kids, dogs, etc. It would be like expecting to be on one of the paved trails in the city and going at these speeds. If you have a road bike and want to go fast, be on the road away from people. Too many people think they are on a grand tour every time they go for a road ride. It's stupid. I have also encountered polite groups that are considerate when passing. I've had a leader come by and let me know that there were six riders to come. They all passed me on the Lakeshore single file with no problem. I have even hitched ride at the back with a couple of groups. More consideration and common sense would go a long way. In the rebuttal in the Star, they suggest there should be another solution, but none is suggested. Short of having a dedicated fast lane, what can be done? You can't have fast cyclists in a congested area period.

  4. #4
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,803
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I would not want to be constantly jumping over bumps with my road bike though.
    Meh, makes good practice for 'cross season. Not so good in a larger, tightly-bunched group though.

    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Too many people think they are on a grand tour every time they go for a road ride. It's stupid. I have also encountered polite groups that are considerate when passing. I've had a leader come by and let me know that there were six riders to come. They all passed me on the Lakeshore single file with no problem. I have even hitched ride at the back with a couple of groups. More consideration and common sense would go a long way.
    Sad to say that my experiences parallel your comments above i.e. I've been on many group rides that share the road responsibly, using an entire lane at appropriate times but changing formation when needed also. However, I've also been on rides and encountered them as a driver that seem to display too much self-entitlement IMHO. The statement "common sense is not so common" seems to apply.

  5. #5
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I remember that there were bumps there last year. I guess there are more of them now. The bumps I remember were pretty easy to jump over with the MTB. The last time I was there, I was riding with my wife and I was trying to teach her how to jump over them. I would not want to be constantly jumping over bumps with my road bike though. I ride quite a bit of road in the spring and fall when the trails are done. I have a beef with roadies in a group. Up around Milton, they can take up the entire road when there is only one lane. I had two incidents there with this type of behaviour. In one case a group was hogging the entire road going in the opposite direction forcing traffic onto the other side of the road where I was riding. As I passed them, I could see several cars with drivers that were totally pissed off. In the other incident, I was caught by a group that was inconsiderate when passing and again took up all the road. Even 3 or 4 people going 25-35 k would be inappropriate during the summer weekends. In the two times I rode through there, there were people walking, cycling, lots of kids, dogs, etc. It would be like expecting to be on one of the paved trails in the city and going at these speeds. If you have a road bike and want to go fast, be on the road away from people. Too many people think they are on a grand tour every time they go for a road ride. It's stupid. I have also encountered polite groups that are considerate when passing. I've had a leader come by and let me know that there were six riders to come. They all passed me on the Lakeshore single file with no problem. I have even hitched ride at the back with a couple of groups. More consideration and common sense would go a long way. In the rebuttal in the Star, they suggest there should be another solution, but none is suggested. Short of having a dedicated fast lane, what can be done? You can't have fast cyclists in a congested area period.
    Ahh, omg! Your story gets better every time. Do we have to get into your obsession with roadies again after that incident. Lots of people here digested and gave you reasons why a peleton travels like that on twisty roads. Single file is great, but you can't share a country lane with a cyclist and with an oncoming dump truck. Guess who is going to lose.

    God save us and please act safely out on the road no matter how annoying people are to you. Thank you.

    Back to the topic at hand.

    I also think roadies putting in zone3 training runs at 3pm on Saturday down on the martin goodman need to **** off and take the GO out to milton where you can honk at them and aggressively pass... just like all the other motorheads. Come to think of it, maybe i just figured out why those guys stick to the martin goodman trail. Maybe you have a hand in causing your problem after all..

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    Wow..*for everything about riding bikes in Toronto you hate Electrik. May I suggest you move to say Milton yourself? Though knowing your type you will rail just as much about stuff there.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

  7. #7
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Wow..*for everything about riding bikes in Toronto you hate Electrik. May I suggest you move to say Milton yourself? Though knowing your type you will rail just as much about stuff there.
    I don't see you talking about riding fast on crowded "sidewalks" and riding like a gutter monkey while out in the country. Am I to assume you condone those practices?

  8. #8
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I don't see you talking about riding fast on crowded "sidewalks" and riding like a gutter monkey while out in the country. Am I to assume you condone those practices?
    More like I have better things to do then be like a self righteous Stalin like troll about all things cycling.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

  9. #9
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    More like I have better things to do then be like a self righteous Stalin like troll about all things cycling.
    Stalin did not troll he simply disposed of people.

    I think I have your problem figured out, you've been riding the wrong brand... get one of these instead:


  10. #10
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    More like I have better things to do then be like a self righteous Stalin like troll about all things cycling.
    you sure are fast at labeling people trolls who's views you don't like.

    perhaps a thoughtful counter point with examples might be more productive and better for the forum.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

  11. #11
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,154
    The star changed their mind again.

    Toronto News: The Fixer: Speed humps on Leslie St. spit are only an inconvenience - thestar.com

    Still unexplained is why cyclists *going commando* are the greater menace.

  12. #12
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The star changed their mind again.

    Toronto News: The Fixer: Speed humps on Leslie St. spit are only an inconvenience - thestar.com

    Still unexplained is why cyclists *going commando* are the greater menace.
    First question would be the writers choice of words.. Commando. Wonder if the writer actually understands the meaning of that word. And not whether you wear grape smugglers or nothing under neath one's shorts.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

  13. #13
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post

    I think I have your problem figured out, you've been riding the wrong brand... get one of these instead:

    Interesting. Especially when if one looks at a certain seatpost thread some where else it would appear to be the opposite of what you suggest.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

  14. #14
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Interesting. Especially when if one looks at a certain seatpost thread some where else it would appear to be the opposite of what you suggest.
    Yeah, in the AM forum i was against those people telling people they need dropper posts. Did you want to talk about dropper posts??

    Why don't you comment some more about these speed bumps and rude roadies.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    The spit is a wildlife refuge and bird sanctuary, first and foremost. Cyclists and people are invited to tiptoe through it on weekends, but not turn it into a general-purpose park.

    Isn't it a landfill, first and foremost?

    We came across hikers wandering four or five abreast, with no clue that a bike was approaching from behind. They would clearly resent being buzzed by a fast-moving cyclist.

    Have people in Toronto become so lazy and urbanized that walking on a paved road can be called hiking?

  16. #16
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    The spit is a wildlife refuge and bird sanctuary, first and foremost. Cyclists and people are invited to tiptoe through it on weekends, but not turn it into a general-purpose park.

    Isn't it a landfill, first and foremost?

    We came across hikers wandering four or five abreast, with no clue that a bike was approaching from behind. They would clearly resent being buzzed by a fast-moving cyclist.

    Have people in Toronto become so lazy and urbanized that walking on a paved road can be called hiking?
    i lived in that area for quite a few years and rode out to the spit lighthouse often. it's actually a pretty fun winter ride when the shore ice builds up. you just have to watch out for the rebar sticking out of the fill. they naturalized a few lagoons out there, did it very well might i add. yeah the place gets packed on the weekend and for some people it's an adventure. i think thats great. that they put in a couple of speed bumps... big deal
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

  17. #17
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,239




    We rode the spit in January, The area was deserted, with the exception of singlesprocket and myself and just a million water birds in the lake.

    There are a series of speed bumps at the entrance road which were no problem to mtn bikes. The road surface (even in winter) is not smooth and it's riddled with potholes. The road is wide enough for 2 trucks to pass each other so visibility is not a problem. Its really not the best road in the area for roadie sprint races. Even Commisioners Rd is better and a lot less chudder. I'm sure the roadies will adjust to a new area to ride that won;t cramp their style.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    it's actually a pretty fun winter ride when the shore ice builds up.
    That reminds me of a decade back riding there in the winter with a friend of mine. Much of the outer harbour was frozen over and passable.

  19. #19
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    That reminds me of a decade back riding there in the winter with a friend of mine. Much of the outer harbour was frozen over and passable.
    There were couple years that I can remember where there were huge chunks of ice down there all smashed up and clumped together. You could get shockingly far out over the water just climbing around.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  20. #20
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by The Toronto Star
    We came across hikers wandering four or five abreast, with no clue that a bike was approaching from behind. They would clearly resent being buzzed by a fast-moving cyclist.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I have a beef with roadies in a group. Up around Milton, they can take up the entire road when there is only one lane.

    Interesting how one of these things is acceptable, and one is not.

  21. #21
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCA in the Star
    The spit is a wildlife refuge and bird sanctuary, first and foremost. Tri-axle dump trucks are allowed to dump 24-ton loads of broken concrete there on weekdays, but not turn it into a general-purpose landfill.
    Fixed.

  22. #22
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Fixed.
    Aha, yes and the local dump is a black bear sanctuary...

    BEARS!!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: secret agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    629
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Toronto Star
    We came across hikers wandering four or five abreast, with no clue that a bike was approaching from behind. They would clearly resent being buzzed by a fast-moving cyclist.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secret agent
    I have a beef with roadies in a group. Up around Milton, they can take up the entire road when there is only one lane.

    Interesting how one of these things is acceptable, and one is not.

    While groups of people walking abreast are annoying and can take up an entire trail, they are not likely to surprise anyone at great speed. No one is going to be greatly inconvenienced, they are not tying up traffic, or causing traffic around them. Most importantly, they are not going to hurt anyone. I am not trying to get down on cyclists of any sort, and I know the frustrations. There is no specific place for bikes and we are forced to share the road with cars, and pathways with pedestrians. In the trails, we often encounter hikers, horses, dogs, atv's and the like. We do not appreciate it when cars do not pay close attention to their actions and that they don't understand the injury that they can cause a cyclist by one false move. We are in the same position on a bike as regards pedestrians and hikers. We can seriously injure ourselves and others in a collision with them. In either case, it seems that the onus is always on us. I think you have to adjust to the riding conditions. If traffic is really heavy the day you decide to ride peloton style, then you may want to reconsider and try some other training practice. If the Martin Goodman trail is too busy, I take the road or slow down. No sense in trying to force the issue. You can't control the conditions and situations, but you can control your behaviour and accordingly. Just remember that you are lucky to be bombing around on a bike in the first place.

  24. #24
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    While groups of people walking abreast are annoying and can take up an entire trail, they are not likely to surprise anyone at great speed. No one is going to be greatly inconvenienced, they are not tying up traffic, or causing traffic around them. Most importantly, they are not going to hurt anyone
    I think the point is that pedestrians walking four abreast are equally inconsiderate as cyclists riding four abreast. They do indeed tie up traffic (cyclist traffic). Even on the extremely wide MUP by Hamilton Harbour, pedestrians manage to walk 6-10 abreast, take the whole path, then be surprised (or completely ignore me) when I ring my bell.

  25. #25
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I think the point is that pedestrians walking four abreast are equally inconsiderate as cyclists riding four abreast. They do indeed tie up traffic (cyclist traffic). Even on the extremely wide MUP by Hamilton Harbour, pedestrians manage to walk 6-10 abreast, take the whole path, then be surprised (or completely ignore me) when I ring my bell.
    As a reformed trail runner I fully understand the aggravation of 4 plus abreast strollers.
    Even more annoying is the walkers who insist that being fully plugged into their IPod. And that some how it's my fault tthat I finally had to push past them because they can't hear me call out.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I'm so pissed I could spit fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Casual Observer in forum Arizona
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
  2. I'm so pissed I could spit fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Take 2)
    By Casual Observer in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
  3. spit ride
    By singlesprocket in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
  4. I spit like a camel.
    By Stophovr6 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
  5. Careful, they spit...(Reba Q)
    By JoelM in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •