Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    humber river advocate

building a pump track...

been taking some measurements...

and it looks pretty good, 30'x50' of usable space. since i'm not a big fan of a manicured lawn due to environmental reasons and like riding a bike... it's time to join pump track nation (though i think i can squeeze in 2 dirt jumps also).

the soil is perfect around here with just the right amount of clay, though this will make digging tough. a mini excavator will be used and special attention will be given to aesthetics, grading and environment. i've talked about this in the past how building a trail (or pump track) can be used to improve the environmental footprint of an area. now i will do it on a micro scale with focus on naturalization (native plant species/other features) and some urban agriculture thrown in (i like organic vegs).

should be an interesting outside the box urban landscape project.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    That would be my perfect back yard.

Pump track winding through a garden, maybe a cherry and a peach tree in there.

No grass to cut.

Like it.

mtbr member
    I remember that many of the arguments around dirt jumps and pump tracks in some Mississauga locations were due to the aesthetic limitations. Many complained that this sort of build is ugly and and never complements other natural areas. There were also arguments about a lot of dust blowing around. Along with concerns about kids leaving their trash behind and "hanging out" after hours and so on, killed a bunch of plans back in the day. I bet the neighbors are going to love this; though you seem to be in a bit of space there. It would be great to see a well made, aesthetically pleasing construction though.

Evil Jr.
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

I really like the idea of having a pump track/veggie garden. The only problem I see is that things like potatoes and squash really get around in a hurry.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    neighbors shouldn't be an issue, got none to the back of me and the others will want to use the track. the lot is an older one so it has tons of space all around compared to new houses.
    i have some connections to cots forestry restoration dept to get advice on plants and general landscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I remember that many of the arguments around dirt jumps and pump tracks in some Mississauga locations were due to the aesthetic limitations. Many complained that this sort of build is ugly and and never complements other natural areas. There were also arguments about a lot of dust blowing around. Along with concerns about kids leaving their trash behind and "hanging out" after hours and so on, killed a bunch of plans back in the day. I bet the neighbors are going to love this; though you seem to be in a bit of space there. It would be great to see a well made, aesthetically pleasing construction though.
    Support TORBA

More than a little slow
    I'm jealous. I would so like to do that too.
    Ain't gonna happen.
    Are you going to invite us all over for a test ride when you're finished?
    Cheers, Dave

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    I'm jealous. I would so like to do that too.
    Ain't gonna happen.
    Are you going to invite us all over for a test ride when you're finished?
    probably have a humber torba event bbq at the same time. there's a few trails up here also.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you can find a pump track that rides well take some very detailed measurements of the rollers.

A friend built one in his back yard based off info online and the rollers didn't really ride well.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to the results. You have a lot of bike and bike related projects on the go. I find it hard enough to keep the regular stuff on the go and get lots of riding in.

mtbr member
    You may just want to see if your municipality has a Grading By-law, or a by-law which might prohibit or otherwise require approval for this sort of thing. Even if you don't seek approval, at least you'll know what you're up against in case the municipality does receive a complaint (which I would rate as a very high probability given this type of project) and enforces the by-law.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    You may just want to see if your municipality has a Grading By-law, or a by-law which might prohibit or otherwise require approval for this sort of thing. Even if you don't seek approval, at least you'll know what you're up against in case the municipality does receive a complaint (which I would rate as a very high probability given this type of project) and enforces the by-law.
    ain't changing the grade, nor cutting trees, nor building a deck or shed... just a wee bit of landscaping and ornamental rocks... quite common in this area, you should see the complex gardens and sheds put into backyards
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    If you can find a pump track that rides well take some very detailed measurements of the rollers.

A friend built one in his back yard based off info online and the rollers didn't really ride well.
    i got a full set of detailed plans and instructions from

Lee Likes Bikes

plus my trail building etc. experience... shouldn't be a problem.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i got a full set of detailed plans and instructions from

Lee Likes Bikes

plus my trail building etc. experience... shouldn't be a problem.
    Yeah pretty sure he also had the Lee Like Bikes plans. Just saying.

His track was a pretty basic loop, I think on a bigger track with more features you have more to work with to build momentum. On his small track it became very critical to get the rollers right as they were the only source.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Yeah pretty sure he also had the Lee Like Bikes plans. Just saying.

His track was a pretty basic loop, I think on a bigger track with more features you have more to work with to build momentum. On his small track it became very critical to get the rollers right as they were the only source.
    I've seen videos of other peoples' backyard pump tracks and it's not as easy as it looks to get right. As soon as you see the rider pedaling (out of necessity), you know something ain't quite right.

The pump tracks at Ray's and Joyride all had to be tweaked too. At least in the garden, it's just pushing a little dirt around.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I've seen videos of other peoples' backyard pump tracks and it's not as easy as it looks to get right. As soon as you see the rider pedaling (out of necessity), you know something ain't quite right.

The pump tracks at Ray's and Joyride all had to be tweaked too. At least in the garden, it's just pushing a little dirt around.
    people tend to make the radius of the berms to tight and space the mounds to close. they want to cram to much into a small space. i've seen this on trails i've been asked to tweak the flow. 9 times out of 10 it just has to be relaxed a little. most dirt jumpers/bmxers have figured this out long ago.

you literally want to carry your momentum from berm to berm, where the rollers add speed by pumping. you can then add a cross over gap/table jump in the center to add some fun.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Cool project,
    I would like to see pictures both work in progress and finished!

humber river advocate
    got a little more planning done, talked to a professional trail builder who makes these things and works with hoots. we shall see if my design is valid.
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    lol and right on que i got a neg for this thread...

building a pump track... 09-04-2012 05:36 PM Your elitism and insularity is showing.

really i want to know what is insular/elitist about building a pump track?
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    got some more rocks delivered for the rock garden on the back of the berms and some pavers... that's where i'm going to plant perennial herbs Growing Culinary Herbs In Ontario and sedum...

everything flagged, scoped and papered... excavator time shortly...

Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looking good! I will be following this closely

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    everything flagged, scoped and papered... excavator time shortly...

How big a space would you say this is?

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Glad to see you are still moving forward with the track.I thought you weren't going to make it before winter.

Have you thought about making a heated pump track

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    How big a space would you say this is?
    i'll be publishing an open source trail project pdf and a hard copy with all the info/dimensions/etc... some newer sustainability concepts for the urban landscape will be explored with this concept that might be worth documenting... anyway around 2500 square feet...
    Support TORBA

More than a little slow
    What sort of herbs? Just askin
    Cheers, Dave

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Glad to see you are still moving forward with the track.I thought you weren't going to make it before winter.

Have you thought about making a heated pump track
    i'll just spray it with water and hold a crash ice on bikes ...

Support TORBA

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast