mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. bug situation in North Bay / Sudbury?

hello,

just wondering if the bugs are still in full force up there? We've been having unusually mild temps this year so I'm wondering if that had any effect.

I'm thinking of possibly heading up there the first week of August

thanks
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

humber river advocate
    august should be no problem... other than your assorted deer flies and skeeters

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks,

ummm.... so what else is there?
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    thanks,

ummm.... so what else is there?
    horseflies (bigger than deerflies)

The deerflies are still friendly in Muskoka & the Kawarthas. Heck I even had to deal w/ them on a railbed ride between Lang & Peterborough on Friday.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ah, I see... so even the deerflies are a nuissance. Hm. May have to rethink going north this early....

thanks!
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

humber river advocate
    all depends on your bug threshold. i find deerflies not so bad as long as you have some sort of head/neck cover they can't bite through under your helmet. wear thick enough clothing and wear a good spraying of deet.

mtbr member
    Mosquitoes are still bad but shouldn't be a problem in August...although it has been very wet up here, so they might stick around longer.

Deer and horse flies aren't bad yet, but can be very annoying as they can follow you. Just bring bug spray and don't worry. I actually found the bugs worse at Buckwallow a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    good to know, we might just do it!

Anyone willing to take us for a tour around NB / Sudbury?

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    We have a relatively new club in Sudbury called the Walden Mountain Bike Club:
    http://groups.google.com/group/walden-mtn-bike-club

Some of our members have created a nice new trail system at the Naughton XC ski trails (just west of Sudbury) which will be hosting the MTB event of next years Ontario Summer games:
    http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...,0.891953&z=11

We also have more rocky, technical trails in the heart of the city at Laurentian University. If you are interested in checking either of them out, let me know as I'm sure we could arrange something.

Please be aware that club members might be a little busy August 8/9th weekend as our club is hosting the Sudbury Fitness Challenge at the Naughton trails on the 9th. This is an event for the whole family with distances for everyone. The 20km event will sample a few of the new singletrack trails as well as doubletrack. This might be an option, depending on what your plans are.

Steve

mtbr member
    In North Bay, there is a unofficial group ride on Tuesday's at 6:30pm

The bugs aren't that bad right now (in my opinion) and there should be less bugs each week. I put a little bug spray on just in case. June was horrible, but its fine now.

Everyone meets up at the North Bay Nordic Ski Club off NorthShore Road. We usually split up into a couple groups based on skill/fitness and ride for a couple hours on the trails. If the weather is nice, we have been getting about 15-20 people out each week.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...02871&t=h&z=16

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurntHelmet
    In North Bay, there is a unofficial group ride on Tuesday's at 6:30pm

The bugs aren't that bad right now (in my opinion) and there should be less bugs each week. I put a little bug spray on just in case. June was horrible, but its fine now.

Everyone meets up at the North Bay Nordic Ski Club off NorthShore Road. We usually split up into a couple groups based on skill/fitness and ride for a couple hours on the trails. If the weather is nice, we have been getting about 15-20 people out each week.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...02871&t=h&z=16
    BurntHelmet,
    What shape are the North Shore Rd trails in? Are there any new trails this year? I usually just park at the pipeline rd and climb up from there. Are there other trails off of the main ski trails? I hope to ride there at least once or twice this year, and maybe show them to some of the Walden club members.

mtbr member
    Trails out there are in pretty good shape, as long as it doesn't rain allot, then they can be muddy. Last night I didn't attend the group ride, but I was told the trails were really dry. There are new trails, but not where I think you are thinking of. The new trails allow you to basically start at Nordic Ski Club's parking lot and ride trails all the way up to the trails at the top of the access road and hardly have to ride the road up at all. It's hard to explain them on here, but if you are able to get out to a Tuesday group ride, you will see where to start, as its not clearly marked. The new trails all loop back on themselves and you can ride them without having too much climbing to do, and you can then branch off to link up to the other existing trails.

There is a great guy, Bill, who lives on North Shore Road and he has built these new trails behind the Nordic Ski trails and he has linked them up to the other existing trails (sometimes referred to Dave's trails, as a guy named Dave build/maintains them). Most of Bill's trails were new last year, so they are getting worked in well now - its rocky in some sections, but its getting better all the time. Not really hardtail friendly trails for sure. There are also a series of trails that branch on and off the access road

humber river advocate
    will be in north bay 1st of august around 10:30am to do a ride we are going check stuff out near airport road between 10-11am

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This is great guys, thanks!

Singlesprocket, we can join you on Saturday AM. I will PM you.

I'm thinking:

Sat 1st, ride North Bay
    Sun 2nd, ride North Bay
    Monday 3rd ride Sudbury
    Tuesday 4th ride Sudbury

Anyone that wants to hook up in those areas on those dates, PM me!

If anyone knows of cheap accomodations, let me know

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    This is great guys, thanks!

Singlesprocket, we can join you on Saturday AM. I will PM you.

I'm thinking:

Sat 1st, ride North Bay
    Sun 2nd, ride North Bay
    Monday 3rd ride Sudbury
    Tuesday 4th ride Sudbury

Anyone that wants to hook up in those areas on those dates, PM me!

If anyone knows of cheap accomodations, let me know

cheers
    I imagine North Bay will be pretty busy on the 1st and 2nd as it is North Rocks the Bay weekend featuring The Tragically Hip, Sam Roberts and Simple Plan, so accomodations might hard to find:
    http://www.symphonyofsound.moonfruit.com/#

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    crap! Thanks for the heads up... I'll see what I can find...
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    For a cheap place to stay in North Bay I'd contact Canadore College - they normally rent out the rooms in residence through the summer pretty cheap

mtbr member
    crap! Thanks for the heads up... I'll see what I can find...
    Not sure what your expectations are, but there are some small motels/cottages along the shore of Lake Nippissing. Close to beaches, but not close to the trails, if that matters. The Dolphin motel is the one I can remember...be warned, I have no idea what it is like inside!

humber river advocate
    all systems go for saturday...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    take lots of pictures! and not just of the wildlife and flowers... the trail!

We chose to go south of the border for some riding, so a report of the trails up there would be great!

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

humber river advocate
    hopefully it won't rain... south or north