Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Buckwallow skills camp this weekend - some places still available

739 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  garage monster 
#1 ·
If you're at a loose end there are still a couple of places left on the Sacred Rides skills camp @ Buckwallow this weekend, which I'm attending.

The coaches are Rob Fex (head coach @ Hardwood Hills) and Heather Stanley (a very fast racer). I've been coached by Rob before and he's awesome. I've met Heather and she's also the real deal.

The course is supposed to be focused on technical riding and for strong intermediate to advanced riders only.

Details here:

http://www.sacredrides.com/tours/skills/ontarioweekend/

Call Mike the owner if you have any questions. Sat night accommodation at the HoJo is included.

(Hopefully not spam as I've no connection with Sacred Rides other than being a satisfied repeat customer!)

#2 ·
Oh, yeah, and quite unconnected with this, there is a women only skills camp the following week at Buckwallow run by my friend Kristi who runs the bike shop in Gravenhurst. I think Heather Stanley is also coaching this one. PM me for details or call the bike shop 705-687-RIDE.

#3 ·
Ah I wish I knew about this before, I've got weekend plans I can't cancel...Kristi told me about the women-only camp when I was at the shop a few weeks back but all the gentle persuasion in the world wasn't enough to get my wife to try it. I even pitched sending her there as MY birthday present...

Do you know if Rob or Heather do private or semi-private lessons? I've reached the point where I feel some proper technical training can go a long way for my mtb skills

#4 ·
I think Rob does private lessons but Hardwood is not really the place to work on technicals. It is a very good place to work on getting faster though and Rob is also very good at breaking down your riding to the very basics. I can still remember him riding on my tail last year and yelling LOOK AHEAD over and over again. I still hear him in my head, which I think was exactly his intention.

If you want to work on tech there are some good coaches at Blue, of all places.

#5 ·
Thanks for the response - I'll try and get in touch with some coaches @ Blue and maybe get a session or two in this summer. I'd love to become more confident cornering at speed and also maintaining a good cadence. I'm hitting Buckwallow tomorrow afternoon so I'll ask Mike if there are any other skills camps planned there this season...

#6 ·
The session I did with Rob last year we spent a whole afternoon on cornering and it was one of the most useful things I've ever done. We were riding about twice as fast at the end as at the beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.