Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Buckwallow O-Cup SS

I'll be at the cottage this weekend, which is in close proximity to buckwallow. A friend will be staying with me and racing, figured I might as go and race as well. As i swore off O-Cups after last season, I'm out for giggles and the 9:30 race seems like a better time. As luck would have it, I built up a singlespeed this winter.

Serious question: Is 2:1 (32:16) gearing with 26" wheels going to cut it. I'm lining up at the back, and will likely stay there, but I don't want to look completely out of place because I'm spinning out all the time trying to keep up or walking everything. Having never even ridden my SS at what I would consider close to race pace, I'm in totally uncharted territory.

Somewhat serious questions: Can I line up in full spandex, or so should I have on baggies. Beer in my water bottle? Or do I get a separate cage that can hold a bottle (or do I use cans?)
    Last edited by CptSydor; 07-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Beer in my water bottle? Or do I get a separate cage that can hold a bottle (or do I use cans?)
    IMO, go for the Bacardi's Gold Rum. It has a screw cap, can fit in a bottle holder and can pretty much be mixed with anything....or drink it straight up.

McB
    mtbr member
    Somewhat serious questions: Can I line up in full spandex, or so should I have on baggies.
    Dude, I would go with the thong and a cow bell. It seemed to work for some guy a couple of summers ago at a Hot August Nights..
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

Evil Jr.
    That's very close to the ratio (33x18 on a 29er) I've been running for the last two years and it's been fine for me from Buckwallow to BC. There's only one real climb at Buckwallow and I find it's usually just easier (and faster) to run up it anyway. Everything else is just short punches and power moves. It's a great place to ride single.

As for fashion, I wear baggies but more and more spandex creeps into the category every year so it's really just up to you.

You'll find that the SS pen is WAY more laid back than *cough* Sport so feel free to roll up casually and shoot the breeze until Adam says GO.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team Speed Co-Founder
    I say thumbs down to spandex... but thats just me...
    Thou Shalt Always Respect the Plight

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by McB
    Dude, I would go with the thong and a cow bell. It seemed to work for some guy a couple of summers ago at a Hot August Nights..
    I have to be at the airport picking up our son on race day so won't be able to spectate and do a [o] thread this year. Sounds like I could be missing some great photo ops lol.
    From Buckwallow Ocup

mtbr member
    last year when I was on 26", I ran 34*17, aka 2 to 1. In the wet, I actually would have liked one gear lighter, simply because i'm a lanky guy and prefer to spin high rpm. In the dry it would have been reasonable, if not a bit light - if you're a diesel pusher type, then that gear or one harder might be the answer...all that said, if you aren't concerned about staying with the front group, you'll be just fine on whatever you've got.

Wear whatever you want...for me, its spandex - if people were judging, it was behind my back so its all good :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSpeed
    I say thumbs down to spandex... but thats just me...
    Ah yes, but you are also still on platforms, fried . One step at a time and we'll eventually have you in some lycra.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Whether you go with spandex or baggies, prepare for a very rough ride broken up by long, flat double track sections where a big ring would help. Personally I donít really understand why everyone says that this is a good course for singlespeed.

I pre-rode the course yesterday and my wrists were screaming at the end. Yes, I ride a rigid bike, but I have no such problems in other courses, including endurance/marathon events. I think this is the roughest course in the O-Cup circuit. Mind you, if it rains like last year and they cut out parts of the course, then it might not be that bad.

Frankly, with a week to go before the 8 HOUR EPIC, I am a little hesitant about this race. But I did register so Iíll see how it plays out.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Team Speed Co-Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Ah yes, but you are also still on platforms, fried . One step at a time and we'll eventually have you in some lycra.
    lol... Well we had the R&D department of our team testing those clipless pedals on Tuesday... We're still interpreting the results but at first glance the data seems to support sticking with the platforms for the remainder of this year and possibly and i stress possibly looking at clipless next year. We are still however in the data collection stage and this could all change. As for the lycra... lol... I really don't see that one happening... As you know it's the 11th and unwritten rule. "Thou shalt never wear any spandex!" - We even had Sean in Baggies and Matt on the weekend.

Remember...
    Thou Shalt Always Respect the Plight

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Personally I donít really understand why everyone says that this is a good course for singlespeed.

I pre-rode the course yesterday and my wrists were screaming at the end. Yes, I ride a rigid bike, but I have no such problems in other courses
    I have to agree. Full Suspension was made for trails like Buckwallow. Its gonna be " Bike Town" here this weekend, what with Buckwallow Ocup on Sun and Gravenhurst Tri running Sat & Sun.

Evil Jr.
    Best Buckwallow course evAr! That big dumb climb was out and all the fun stuff was in! Oh, and they were making back-bacon sandwiches at the BBQ! Awesome!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    That was a good course. I loved those rocky descents - steep, but not too steep.

My left wrist was getting carpal tunnel on the last lap, and I was on a FS. What the hell was up with that? I kept changing my grip and braking fingers, to little avail.

mtbr member
    So after all my talk, I bailed.

Pre-rode the course on Saturday. 4 laps, three laps at casual pace, which were great. Third lap, a friend and I went at 'race-pace'. He was geared with suspension, I was rigid and singlespeed. I kept up with him and enjoyed that. Lap time was respectable and I would not have been last in the SS division. However, I have never felt so physically abused as I did after that lap. I couldn't imagine doing 2 more at that pace. Since I couldn't imagine, I decided not to. I enjoy some pains associated with racing, that wasn't it.

+ 10,000 points to the rigid SS racers. Actually, I would say +8,000 to the rigid racers, +2,000 to the SS racers, the SS aspect wasn't that bad.

I'll stick to endurance racing on my lazy-boy.

McB
    mtbr member
    Great Race yesterday..

The rain started coming as I was arriving at buck and I thought to myself "Oh no, not again" Buck can be treacherous in good conditions never mind wet roots. I must say that the conditions were perfect for racing.. The rain that came earlier had zero affect on the trails.

The course was well laid out and alot of fun.. I had a good finish even after crashing on the third lap and losing good shifting ability on the second. My freakin front derailleur would drop from big ring to small ring.. And then wouldn't go back up into big ring. Perhaps all the vibration?
    Last edited by McB; 07-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

mtbr member
    Sunday was certainly not my day.

I felt great, the course was in fantastic shape and the weather was perfect, so my excuses are very limited. Ok, ok, I have no excuses. I basically struggled on the flat, double track sections and could not keep up. There were no climbs where I could make it up so I lost my enthusiasm in the 2nd and 3rd laps.

At least I can say that I have no wrist problems.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

Single speed

Good Ride Y'All!

Way to go! to everyone who raced.

I got some pics and videos of the 11:30 race and the last race. I will edit and post them after work this afternoon. Check back here tomorrow.

I also think I got a hint of Karple tunnel syndrom from ringing my little cowbell. I sure picked a good spot to watch everyone sufferings.

mtbr member
    I'll be at the cottage this weekend, which is in close proximity to buckwallow. A friend will be staying with me and racing, figured I might as go and race as well. As i swore off O-Cups after last season, I'm out for giggles and the 9:30 race seems like a better time. As luck would have it, I built up a singlespeed this winter.

Serious question: Is 2:1 (32:16) gearing with 26" wheels going to cut it. I'm lining up at the back, and will likely stay there, but I don't want to look completely out of place because I'm spinning out all the time trying to keep up or walking everything. Having never even ridden my SS at what I would consider close to race pace, I'm in totally uncharted territory.

Somewhat serious questions: Can I line up in full spandex, or so should I have on baggies. Beer in my water bottle? Or do I get a separate cage that can hold a bottle (or do I use cans?)
    I am not a singlespeeder or rigid rider, but this seems to be a good place rather than posting in another thread. Awesome race yesterday. I almost wish that there was more racing to be had here or at places with the same technical requirements. The course was fantastic, in beautiful shape, and was a great mix of speedy doubletrack, awesome singletrack, and technical short ascents and descents. Really separates the non technically inclined riders from those who can hammer through this stuff.

I had a great ride and felt as good as I have in a race this season. Caught a couple of folks in the 30-34 category near the end and had an awesome tire to tire race for 1-2 kms with a Tues night buddy until he crashed from the pressure . Overall, a fantastic event at one of the most fun places to ride in Ontario. Too bad my category is so competitive. I was shocked at my placing of 17/34 at 1:25:36, but not disappointed by any means. Good times and great to see many of the local racing community out as always.

Cheers,

Neil

veldrijder
    My first Buckwallow experience was a good one. Sure, the rigid bike beat me up more than on other courses, but I'm not going to change equipment for one venue at the expense of all the others. That said, if I had a suspension fork or full suspension bike to play with, I would bring it next time.

I am not a great tech rider, so I was really at a loss trying to "race" there. It was interesting to see folks I can hang with or beat on other courses ride away from me as soon as the first doubletrack ended. I can see this being a venue that will never be my best race, but one I will try to improve on each year.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I almost wish that there was more racing to be had here or at places with the same technical requirements.

Cheers,

Neil
    shameless plug.

One more techy race for you.
    The Canal Days Mountain Bike Race in Port Colborne.
    From all the feedback we've been getting from the pre-rides many are saying the trails are similar to Buckwallow.
    Fastest Expert lap time yesterday was 41 minutes for the 12km loop.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    And it was done on a SS (just in keeping with the theme of this thread).

mtbr member
    jmoote: It was interesting to see folks I can hang with or beat on other courses ride away from me as soon as the first doubletrack ended.

Hee, hee, I had the same feeling every time the double track started.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    Oddly, last year at Buckwallow (in the rain) was one of my best races ever. I was only like 8 minutes off the lead (Matt Prosser, who practically lives there). There's something about technical riding in sh!tty conditions that gets the best outta me.

This year, I went 2 km/h faster and still fell behind Matt by 2 more minutes! Sheesh! What's a guy gotta do?

bi-winning

You beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    shameless plug.

One more techy race for you.
    The Canal Days Mountain Bike Race in Port Colborne.
    From all the feedback we've been getting from the pre-rides many are saying the trails are similar to Buckwallow.
    Let me add, that there is a significant amount of room for improvement for that time. That included a pair of missed turns, and some of the doubletrack sections were not done at full speed.

The Hood trails don't have the huge boulders like Buckwallow, but the terrain is far from smooth, and much of the singletrack is pretty tight. Log piles, short loose climbs, bridges, bumps, roots, rocks....

Riding at race pace almost made me wish for a 4th inch of travel in my fork... while I was trying to hang with Mr. Rigid SS.

I was a little sad to miss Buckwallow, but I'm glad to hear that many of you had a great time.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

GPS Data

Does anyone posting here have the GPS data from the race course that they would be will to share. I had some issues with mine and would like to get it if possible.

Cheers,

Neil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast