mtbr member

Buckwallow May 24 Weekend Skills Session

I wanted to extend an invitation to the MTBR members as its a great opportunity to hit up one Ontario's best riding centers and a great deal on a professional Skill Session to freshen up early in the riding season:

Defiant MTB Group Outing - May 22nd - 24th

Buckwallow in Gravenhurst - these trails are a MUST, pristine Canadian Shield Riding. This is a group outing and is open to all skill levels, some body protection is suggested as most trails are rock based. Good chance to meet new riders, conquer new trails, swap stories around the campfire. Mike at Buckwallow is offering all Defiant MTB Members daily trail passes for $6 (reg. $8).

On Sunday May 23rd, Sacred Rides, 2009 "Best Mountain Bike Tour Company on Earth" - National Geographic Adventure, is offering a 2hr 30 min Skillz Session for $25 per person Smokin' deal!!!

Here is the description:

-Fundamentals (this is stuff that even advanced riders can benefit from, since most never learned this stuff: proper body positioning, bike/body separation, etc...)

-Braking and Cornering, including high-speed cornering for the advanced riders, which Buckwallow is great for

-Technical riding and Obstacles (Buckwallow is also great for this)

They will run a morning AND a afternoon session with a max. of 6 riders per an instructor (Dependent upon final numbers).

Sacred Rides has setup a unique discount code ('Defiant") for anyone who wants to sign up for the Buckwallow ride. Members are to use this link for booking (after they go to the link, they simply select May 23 from the calendar and click ‘Book Now’ (DEADLINE for sign up is May 7th):

http://sacredrides.rezgo.com/tour/12...idual-sessions
    (Yes we know it still says the Don)

This session would also count towards Sacred Rides MTB U degree program which they are running at the Don.

http://www.sacredrides.com/mtbu/

Accommodations are five minutes away at the KOA Gravenhurst Campgrounds.

Skills Session is totally optional but an awesome deal. Let us know if you can join us for the whole weekend or two days, one day - your choice. Msg me if any questions.

Happy Trails!
    Defiant MTB

2008 Yeti 575 Carbon Team Turquoise

Evil Jr.
    Team Monster did this camp two years ago and it was excellent. They divide you up by skill level so everyone gets to progress at their own pace. Highly recommended! Mrs. Monster was new rider after just one day!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Crappity Crap Crap.

I've convinced my wife to take a couple laps at HAN. Even got her a fancy new GF Hifi. We've been trying to get into a clinic, but everything is happening when we are on vacation.

This would be perfect with the cottage in close proximity. Darn

If anyone knows of a suitable 1 day types skills clinic happening in June, geared for beginners/women that is convenient, or any other idea's, let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    If anyone knows of a suitable 1 day types skills clinic happening in June, geared for beginners/women that is convenient, or any other idea's, let me know.
    The bike shop in Gravenhurst runs a monthly womens day camp and I'm pretty sure it's also at Buckwallow - give them a call and hopefully they've got a date that works for you guys - http://www.thebikeshopingravenhurst.com
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Evil Jr.
    Don't forget the Freewheel Women's Workshop on May 16th. It's even an HCC event!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Amazing deal and great event - 3 confirmed, signed up - look forward to this and riding at Buckwallow - enough said.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Let me just endorse this as well!

I will probably be going up for one of the days but won't be doing the skills course as I did the two day version last year -- and it was excellent. Splitting up by group was a great idea. Some riders concentrated on speed and cornering while others tackled the gnarl.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Don't forget the Freewheel Women's Workshop on May 16th. It's even an HCC event!
    That was my first choice, unfortunately vacationing in the pacific is taking precedent.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That was my first choice, unfortunately vacationing in the pacific is taking precedent.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
    Just ask Mari for a private lesson!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Just ask Mari for a private lesson!
    I was contemplating that, but figured a group atmosphere might be more conducive to getting a beginner into the sport. It might seem a little to serious to book a private coach for a few hours, a full day might be too intense. Group seems a little more laid back, watching other people progress as well, making friendships with people at the same level.

Crazy?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I was contemplating that, but figured a group atmosphere might be more conducive to getting a beginner into the sport. It might seem a little to serious to book a private coach for a few hours, a full day might be too intense. Group seems a little more laid back, watching other people progress as well, making friendships with people at the same level.

Crazy?
    Nope, not at all. If you go to the Sacred Rides website, it looks like they have a number of small group options for coaching at all levels, both at the Don and Hardwood. I really did get a LOT out of their Buckwallow clinic - I highly recommend it! There was something about focusing on riding technique and sessioning things in a low-stress atmosphere (and with no SO there) that was if anything more helpful than the actual tips (pedal pedal pedal PEDAL! Look ahead AHEAD! Butt off the seat! etc.)

mtbr member
    Look forward to riding at Buckwallow May 24 weekend. Rode Buck this Sat. for Season opener and it is amazing riding. Picked up a Seasons Pass.

Don't forget Defiant members get a trail pass for $6 (reg has gone up to $10 due to HST this year) for the May 24 weekend.

Also don’t miss this opportunity to ride with and get pointers from pro’s in the biz - $25 for a 2 hour session is crazy cheap. Also due to special requests we may offer skillz specific sessions for morning and afternoon.
    ie:

10 am: Braking and cornering
    12:30 pm: lunch (bring your own)
    1:30 pm:Technical riding and obstacles

That's over 4 hrs of pro instruction for $50 bucks! MADNESSS!!! Can't wait!

I f you haven't already, follow the link below and sign up/ pay. We have set a May 7th deadline to determine the number of instructors we will bring so please register if you are coming and wish to participate. We will try to accommodate any walk ons but space is limited by number of instructors.

Members are to use this link for booking (after they go to the link, they simply select May 23 from the calendar and click ‘Book Now’):

http://sacredrides.rezgo.com/tour/12...idual-sessions

Use promo code: defiant

Happy trails!!!
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    *****The Skillz Sessions are now SOLD OUT but, you can still join the Defiant MTB crew for a ride as the Buckwallow Trails area great.

Over 50 sessions booked! Thanks to all who supported and helped make this event such a success!!!

Sacred Rides will be contacting all participants with any additional info. Please contact them directly if any further questions regarding Skillz Sessions.

ride@sacredrides.com
    1-888-423-7849

Fingers crossed for good weather. Can't wait to ride with everyone.

Thai
    Defiant MTB

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone74
    Fingers crossed for good weather. Can't wait to ride with everyone.
    Thai
    We are due. Last week wasn't great, and this weekend is even worse. At the moment we are getting flurries here

mtbr member
    Don't forget to visit the Village while you are up this way it's almost cleaned up from the winter, we should be done by the 24 weekend.
    Might wait till you've done the skills coarse on technical riding and obstacles though.
    Sounds like a fun weekend

mtbr member
    Yeah I heard North is getting some frost warnings so I'm hoping that there isn't any additional tree/branch fall while we are up that way. Mike usually keeps Buck meticulous though.

I've never ridden Santa's Village and would like to check it out. From what I understand will definitely need the Skillz Sessions tricks there =)

We are heading back up that way this way to do a Tour d'Ontario North Group ride Sept long weekend and plan on hitting Buck, Haliburton Forest, and either Torrance Barrens or Santa's Village. I might msg Near North and get some info on organizing a ride there.
    Defiant MTB

mtbr member
    We rode buckwallow last night it was in perfect shape as usual, Mike does a great job.
    I was kidding about the village most of it is no harder than the weasel which is the trail in the center of buckwallow, that many people seem to miss.
    I'm always glad to get together with a group and ride at the village just let me know when and we will see if it works.

Mark

Muskoka
    So...how was the Skills Camp @ Buckwallow?

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I really enjoyed it. The instructor we had (Jason) was very entertaining and had our group going over stuff that I always go around. The weather was perfect a few mosquitoes no black flies

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I was there on Sunday but not for the camp. MAN, that was a lot of people! Mike Brcic told me they had to start turning people down to keep the group sizes small enough. Looked like a great bunch of people, lots of blingy bikes too.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    a few mosquitoes
    Understatement of the century! The bugs were crazy aggressive but the riding was fantastic so the pint of blood I involuntarily donated was well worth it.

Sacred Rides put on a great skills session at an obviously stellar venue and it was great to see so many like-minded folks just out there to ride and learn. If my legs feel half decent later today I'll be back out at Buck in the evening
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    We rode there last night, bugs were good no bug spray, It was getting dusty though I'll have to try to get a bit faster so I can ride in the front.

Hack Racer
    That was a great clinc. Thanks to all who helped organize it.

mtbr member
    Hope anyone who attended had a good time. Although it was only $25 bucks I also hope you felt it was well spent. I would really appreciate any candid feedback regarding the skillz sessions from any participants as we want to evaluate it for future events.

I personally felt that the overall satisfaction was solid but will be providing Mike at Sacred with a breakdown.

I'll be at Buck June 19th if anyone is around and wants to squish a few mozzies!
    Defiant MTB