mtbr member
    Oct 2005

bryant/sheppard case-so you are on the jury, guilty or not guilty

just supposing this went to trial and you were selected for jury duty. Bryant is charged with negligence causing death, guilty or not guilty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    gee, this isn't a loaded question...
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Guilty.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

100% Not Gill Cup

Drunken cyclist, no fixed address already picked up by the police that night, many past run ins with the police with a history of being agressive towards drivers attacks a sober, upstanding young proffessional and his wife on the way home from their anniversary - Nobody could get a convction, that's why it didn't go to trial.

What would you do if a hooligan was hanging off your window? Offer to buy him tea?

mtbr member
    Darcy Allen didn't deserve to die. Yes he had his problems but he has never ever hurt anybody physically. He was drunk and angry when he ran into Bryant that night, So What !!?? Does this mean that anybody that's drunk and angry deserves to be killed ?? I say ******** ! Bryant got off way to easily. But Hey, this is Canada. Politicians can commit all types of crime and get away with it. I am ashamed of being Canadian , Canada has the worst justice system in the world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ganu
    Drunken cyclist, no fixed address already picked up by the police that night, many past run ins with the police with a history of being agressive towards drivers attacks a sober, upstanding young proffessional and his wife on the way home from their anniversary - Nobody could get a convction, that's why it didn't go to trial.

What would you do if a hooligan was hanging off your window? Offer to buy him tea?
    I would complement his bike and buy him a case of beer.

Steady Creepin'
    Maybe I missed something, are we sure Bryant was sober? I don't recall reading anything about him being given a breathalyzer, but considering he was returning from a celebration of sorts you'd think maybe it wouldn't have been out of the question? My apologies if I'm wrong here.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ganu

Very simple, accelerate and slam brakes on. Use momentum to hurt him way more then anything else. Plus would put my wife and child in way less risk of me hitting an inanimate object. Because while I may be worried about them, I'm operating the vehicle and their lives are in my control.

But more importantly, don't use my car to hit someone like Bryant did.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Maybe I missed something, are we sure Bryant was sober? I don't recall reading anything about him being given a breathalyzer, but considering he was returning from a celebration of sorts you'd think maybe it wouldn't have been out of the question? My apologies if I'm wrong here.
    Asked my in law the retired Toronto Cop. His first question was "Why was no drug and alcohol test done on Mr Bryant?"

Next,

Where was the detailed vehicle inspection of Bryant's SAAB- including issues with the clutch?

As a cop he commented there was a stack of failure in this case that Bryant benefited from.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

I already rode that
    Guilty.

Yea he wasnt given a breathalyzer or his vehical's clutch inspected. He's an ex attorny general and a political star, he is obviously mr perfect and can do no wrong. Not to meantion everyone he voted/vouched for (as attorny general) would come into question and make ppl want to inquire as to wether they should be investigated as well.

In the end something shouldve been given to him instead of this subject getting swept under the rug.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    They don't give everyone a breathalizer test. I was in a serious accident a few years ago (my fault) anf the cop asked me if I had anything to drink. I said no (I hadn't) and that was the end of it. The cop probably didn't smell any alcohol on him snd decided not to test him. Not everyone has to drink to celebrate something.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Evil Jr.
    In the court of public opinion: guilty.

But if I'm sitting in a jury, I wait to hear evidence from both sides. Because he was the one that survived, we only get the real deal from the defense. The rest is eye-witness (which the prosecutor largely dismissed) and circumstantial. Don't forget the basic premise is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you got selected for that jury after having participated in bicycle forum discussions about the case, why then you probably dissembled in your interview with the judge. In that case.... bring on the runaway jury scenario!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    GUILTY.
    Bryant was parked at a stoplight (about 20 feet from the line), darcy pulled ahead of him, he put his car in gear and hit darcy with his car and knocked him off his bike. Vehicular assault.

Rest of the event would not have happened otherwise.

aggressor, begat aggression, used his vehicle as a weapon a second time (with fatal results) shortly after the first attack
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    Bryant was parked at a stoplight (about 20 feet from the line), darcy pulled ahead of him, he put his car in gear and hit darcy with his car and knocked him off his bike. Vehicular assault.

Funny how everyone keeps skipping this important detail. The way most people are going on about this, you would think that Darcy Sheppard did it all.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    The way most people are going on about this, you would think that Darcy Sheppard did it all.
    This "conformity of thought" moment is brought to you by the friendly team at Navigator - When you can't afford to lose (TM).

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    The reason this is still being talked about is because of who was behind the wheel of the car. If this was just a "average" person then we wouldn't still be discussing this. Look how quickly the "Carnage in Quebec" thread ended.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    While many have ignored it, to my disbelief as well, other commentators have correctly identified that that particular move of Mr. Sheppard's is illegal under the highway traffic act and thus may be viewed as an act of unprovoked aggression along with everything else. Paraphrasing: one cannot pass and pull in front of a vehicle stopped at a red light. You just can't. Absolutely not. Intriguingly, it is precisely the sort of minor traffic infringement that is mentioned in passing by Mr. Peck, who doesn't even realize the pattern, in 4 of the 6 of Mr. Sheppard's prior altercations with motorists that were cited in the executive summary.

More worrisome is the logical disconnect in the executive summary at this point:

While continuing westbound on Bloor Street, Mr. Bryant came to a red light at a
    pedestrian crossing between Bay and Avenue Road. ...
    Mr. Sheppard cycled past Mr. Bryant's vehicle along the driver's side and then
    cut in front of the vehicle, stopping his bike directly in front of the Saab and
    blocking its way. This movement was captured by a video camera at 102 Bloor
    Street. Mr. Bryant hit his brakes. He stated that his vehicle came to a stop and stalled.
    Problem is, the attorney-general was already stopped at the red light. Or that's how I remember the video anyway. By leaving out the phrase "and stopped", Mr. Peck makes it sound like the attorney-general was still rolling towards the red light. Was he or wasn't he.. anyone remember?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP_PrhFo

This is the video I remember.
    You are right with the thought of provoking.
    But what Bryant does by ramming him ~20ft into the intersection is like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

From what I know, I would say GUILTY!

sock puppet
    The Saab was stopped at the red light when cyclist caught up and cut in front of him.

Stopped. Not moving. I can't believe Mr. Peck had the car as "moving". Appalling.

However, Mr. Bryant was not charged with 'vehicular assault' but with other two offences that were TOUGHER to prove. I have been questioning the QUICKLY laid charges, without proper investigation etc... Maybe these charges were laid so that it is hard to prove them, however, more obvious charges were not laid... We will never find out, I guess...