Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bruce Trail Hamilton - top 10??

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mykel 
#1 ·
The Advil ad in the new Outdoor Canada magazine lists Bruce Trail, Hamilton ON as one of Canada's top Mountain Biking Trials - I had no idea!!! I thought bikes were supposed to stay off the Bruce Trail, anyways.

#4 ·
Little early for April First comments:

But is it not some sort of BACKHANDED joke about the injuries to unsuspecting people who "Mistakenly" ride any trail regardless of legality and "their" abilities? e.g. Lawyers.

Otherwise Advil's Ad agency probably never consulted the Bruce Trail folks who are dead set against MTB's. I wonder what the Bruce folks are going to do about this, fight it or start charging to shut it down.

Michael

#6 ·
Keep in mind that the "Bruce trail" crosses lands owned by dozens if not hundreds of different land-owners, public and private, and each parcel may have its own shade of usage/permission arrangements. All told the organization now controls about 50% of the trail. That leaves 400-500 km worth of trail where access may be possible for cyclists. Bikes are welcome in some places, and not in others. It's up to the cyclist to track down the specifics for his/her locality.

#7 ·
The Bruce trail through Hamilton is part of the Chedoke Rail trail and Dundas conservation area trails among other sections. Almost all the trails around the Hamilton area that I have been on are multi-use and bikes are allowed. The only trails that I know of that have no bike signs on them are the ones in and around the royal botanical gardens. Like the other poster said large sections of the Bruce Trail are made up of other conservation authorities trails and therefore the rules of use vary. I always find it funny when it is referred to as the Bruce trial when it is more like a larger number of smaller trails all grouped together with different rules and groups controlling them.

#10 ·
I ride it all the time as it is easy access for me (i live on the west Mountain area). There is nothing like having a place to ride that you don't have to drive to. As for very rocky - there are some rocky sections. Some people like this kind of technical riding. Others like more smooth flowing trails. Personally, I don't mind the rock. It is impossible to get away from it when you are right near or along the escarpment.

As it is I think we are lucky to have riding inside a city. Most places you live you have to drive to the trails. Hamilton has quite a bit to explore within riding distance and some sections are very nice.

#11 ·
The Bruce Trail is certainly on my Top Ten!:thumbsup:
It has such a wide variety of experiences through each section. Great views, buff smooth speed, tough rocky goat hikes, streams, deep forest, and more all in one ride. The best part is it just keeps going. There is more singletrack then most of us could ever see in years of use. All a short drive or hike away.

#12 ·
Phat Tyred said:
The Bruce Trail is certainly on my Top Ten!:thumbsup:
It has such a wide variety of experiences through each section. Great views, buff smooth speed, tough rocky goat hikes, streams, deep forest, and more all in one ride. The best part is it just keeps going. There is more singletrack then most of us could ever see in years of use. All a short drive or hike away.
I agree Phatty.............Bruce is THE BOSS!

#13 ·
I found it interesting that when I went on the Bruce Trail website, there was NOTHING on there WRT the famous "no bikes" policy...both on the main Bruce Trail website, nor the site for teh Iroquoia group that maintains the Hamilton section of trail. They both had the same "terms of use" but nothing about no bikes.

They did have something about "each section might have different land-use issues" in there, and I know riding is allowed on some sections of the Bruce, but I was suprised to see nothing on screen that forbade bikes. We all know it's a no-no...I'd think it would have been up there.

At any rate, I can't wait to get on my bike...I'm looking forward to doing some more exploring this spring/summer... How is the riding east of the Red Hill Creek?

Tim

#14 ·
I visited Ontario Canada in the summer of 2006 with my family from N Ireland who are all passionate about mountain biking. During our stay we spent a week in Tobermory renting a cottage in a this very spectacular area. I enquired locally about renting some bikes to do some trail riding! No bike rental? I was met with quite a blunt response regarding trail riding on any of the Bruce Trail. With all hope lost we ventured the beautiful trail on foot, at the trail head a sign pointed out NO MOUNTAIN BIKING! This was slightly disapointing due to the fact that this trail was more than wide enough to accomodate walkers and bikers? Whilst out on the trail we came across two other couples walking, this being 10 miles of trekking not very busy considering this was the height of summer and tourist season. This by no means ruined any of the holiday. However I feel that an area such as this should be enjoyed by all outdoor pursuits regardless of the time of year with respect shown to all so that everyone can enjoy the Mighty Bruce Trail! When we return possibly attitudes may have changed.

#15 ·
doogie said:
I visited Ontario Canada in the summer of 2006 with my family from N Ireland who are all passionate about mountain biking. During our stay we spent a week in Tobermory renting a cottage in a this very spectacular area. I enquired locally about renting some bikes to do some trail riding! No bike rental? I was met with quite a blunt response regarding trail riding on any of the Bruce Trail. With all hope lost we ventured the beautiful trail on foot, at the trail head a sign pointed out NO MOUNTAIN BIKING! This was slightly disapointing due to the fact that this trail was more than wide enough to accomodate walkers and bikers? Whilst out on the trail we came across two other couples walking, this being 10 miles of trekking not very busy considering this was the height of summer and tourist season. This by no means ruined any of the holiday. However I feel that an area such as this should be enjoyed by all outdoor pursuits regardless of the time of year with respect shown to all so that everyone can enjoy the Mighty Bruce Trail! When we return possibly attitudes may have changed.
Like it has been said in other posts the Bruce trail is not one continuous trail covered by the same authority. You have multiple local groups offering use of their lands for part of the trail. In fact only half the trail is over public land with the rest being private. So you end up having different rules over the entire length. In the Hamilton area for example bikes are allowed on the majority of the trail with the best riding being found on the side trails anyways. If biking was your specific goal of the trip you should have inquired ahead of time. The length of the trail is so vast that you can't expect bike rentals to be found everywhere. The length of the trail is almost twice that of the length of Ireland. I agree with you though that bikes should be allowed on the trail.

#16 · (Edited)
The Bruce trail organization has been around for 40+ years, far longer than the interweb. So don't automatically expect their website to be the foremost method of communicating with their trail users. In addition, there is a unusual and significant balance of power between the main organization and the nine member clubs; so you also need to consult the separate website of the section on which you are interested. Best way to get information from them is just pick up the phone.

Re the situation in Tobermory, yes that is a frustration for many cyclists. In this particular case, the 20+ km of trail south-east from town lie on national park lands, which are public lands, but expressly off-limits to cyclists. That is federal park policy, nothing to do with the Bruce trail organization. If you do return to the northern Bruce peninsula one day, keep in mind that Bruce county is aggressively developing other mountain bike attractions; they want your business, just not on the Bruce trail.

Edit: ohya I forgot to mention. The one concession to bicycles that you will find in the Bruce Peninsula national park is a bicycle lane painted on the driveway to the park visitor's centre. Given that there is no safe way to bicycle along highway 6 to get to the driveway, and nowhere to go once you get to the visitor's centre, you'll likely agree with me that our parks' beaurocracy is disappointingly lame when it comes to bicycles.

#17 ·
kaikara said:
Like it has been said in other posts the Bruce trail is not one continuous trail covered by the same authority. You have multiple local groups offering use of their lands for part of the trail. In fact only half the trail is over public land with the rest being private. So you end up having different rules over the entire length. In the Hamilton area for example bikes are allowed on the majority of the trail with the best riding being found on the side trails anyways. If biking was your specific goal of the trip you should have inquired ahead of time. The length of the trail is so vast that you can't expect bike rentals to be found everywhere. The length of the trail is almost twice that of the length of Ireland. I agree with you though that bikes should be allowed on the trail.
I can appreciate that certain areas of the trail will have certain restrictions. However Hamilton as I pointed out was not the location I was visiting with my wife and kids. Tobermory was part of a 3 week holiday to enjoy with my family which I also pointed out was accomplished. Your assumption of a biking specific holiday is totally incorrect as is also your assumption that enquiries were not made regarding bike rental. These enquiries were made 3 months in advance to the Tobermory Tourist Board also the company we rented the cottage from to ensure bike rental was available in Tobermory! No bike rental? If you are stating something obvious to all with any geographical knowledge about the geographical layout and size difference between our two countires! No comparison required. Canada is a wonderful country as are the people who live in it. I currently have three generations of family living there and many friends. My intentions were not to start a storm in a tea cup. Happy New Year.:D

#18 ·
Re the situation in Tobermory, yes that is a frustration for many cyclists. In this particular case, the 20+ km of trail south-east from town lie on national park lands, which are public lands, but expressly off-limits to cyclists. That is federal park policy, nothing to do with the Bruce trail organization. If you do return to the northern Bruce peninsula one day, keep in mind that Bruce county is aggressively developing other mountain bike attractions; they want your business, just not on the Bruce trail.

Edit: ohya I forgot to mention. The one concession to bicycles that you will find in the Bruce Peninsula national park is a bicycle lane painted on the driveway to the park visitor's centre. Given that there is no safe way to bicycle along highway 6 to get to the driveway, and nowhere to go once you get to the visitor's centre, you'll likely agree with me that our parks' beaurocracy is disappointingly lame when it comes to bicycles.[/QUOTE]
I hope to return very soon as the whole experience for all of us was incredible! I was gobsmacked by the length of the Bruce trail, its vastness and its beauty! The day of our trekking I met a local guy out with relatives nephews and nieces etc he also expressed his frustration but in a positive manner about the rules regarding mountain biking! He shared the passion for the sport alongside myself which was a great experience in itself although my wife and kids and his relatives soon bored....take care and a Happy New Year for 2008.:thumbsup:

#19 ·
doogie said:
...I hope to return very soon as the whole experience for all of us was incredible! I was gobsmacked by the length of the Bruce trail, its vastness and its beauty!...:thumbsup:
Doogie

Whilst not in Tobermory, just north of Wiarton ( about 1/3 the way up the peninsula ) there is the Bruce County Mountain Bike Adventure Park.

This may be a bit more fun for next time....

http://www.mtbthebruce.com/index.php

and some more pix

http://www.naturalretreat.com/slideshow.cfm?action=slideshow&photoid=325&category=15

cheers

michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.