Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    rwmtb

Bronte Creek North Trail (Burlington, ON)- Game On!

Received word back from the MNR that mountain bikers are allowed to use the Bronte Creek trail north of Dundas Street (Hwy 5).

To be clear, the trail head coordinates are:
    Latitude: 4324'58.72"N
    Longitude: 7947'52.26"W
    OR, Burlington, ON, approximately 100 m east of Hwy 5 bridge over Bronte Creek on the north side. There is a white "Private Property No Trespassing" sign at the trailhead, but given the note from MNR below hiking/mountain biking is an acceptable use of the land.

There is an existing trail south of Dundas St which is part of Bronte Creek Provincial park, I believe it is called the "Ravine Trail" and also permits mountain bike use. Together, the "north" and "south" combination is close to 10km in distance, so a nice workout for local riders looking to stretch their legs mid-week.

Please note that the section north of Dundas is much more difficult than the portion south of Dundas.

Ideally, there is a local mountain bike association that can "adopt" the trail and work with the MNR/Bronte Park to make the trail official and help maintain it. [hint for volunteer to establish a "Halton Mountain Bike Club"...]

excerpt from email from MNR:
    "Thank you for your email. The addition lands highlighted in map are to be regulated as part of Bronte Creek Provincial Park. I understand there are existing trails within and through these parcels. Ontario Parks will be evaluating these trails and associated uses in light of any sensitive features to decide if these activities are sustainable, should be reduced or terminated. Appropriate zoning and permitted uses will be determined as part of a future management plan amendment process which will include public consultation.

In the meantime, hiking and mountain biking on existing trails is permitted as long as impacts are minimal e.g., do not use trails in wet periods or where erosion is an issue. That being said, the trails were not constructed or authorized by Ontario Parks so their use is solely at your own risk."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Im in for helping clean and build. I ride that section atleast once per week.
    The no trespassing sign is actually for the adjoining property. You'll see them further out in the trail deep in the woods too.

There is one structure that we need built there (to get over a huge fallen tree on a downhill section off the main trail)

When do you want to start?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is awesome to hear, I used to ride that section of trail weekly until the "no trespassing" sign got put up!
    I hope other people show interest in this trail so we can organize a maintenance day!

mtbr member
    I would be happy to help with anything needed.
    Time is limited, sponsorship / donation is always an option. PM me with info.
    thanks
    Steve
    Oakville Chiropractor - Nottinghill Family Chiropractic

mtbr member
    This is really interesting! Thanks rwmtb. I was told about this trail and that entry was forbidden. I'd like to check it out. I can clean up the trail a bit as I ride and explore.

Does anybody know how for north the trail goes? Beyond the 407?

rwmtb
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_tico View Post
    This is really interesting! Thanks rwmtb. I was told about this trail and that entry was forbidden. I'd like to check it out. I can clean up the trail a bit as I ride and explore.

Does anybody know how for north the trail goes? Beyond the 407?
    Yes, the trails goes past 407. You can go under the 407 and you'll see the trail start-up again on the other side-- can't miss it. There are a couple of options on the section north of 407, generally I keep to the right when heading north, which will get you to the northern most point on the trail. Currently the trail ends a few hundred meters south of #1 Sideroad by a horse farm.

I have gone farther, but it's bushwhacking.

Good luck!

rwmtb

Bronte Creek Trail North- Trail Maintenance Days

Seems like there is some definite interest in doing some volunteer trail maintenance on the Bronte Creek North Trail, which is great.

I'm going to suggest a couple of days, but realize that it's going to be tough for all of us to coordinate perfectly-- c'est la vie.

So, how about:
    1. Sunday, April 7, 1 pm
    2. Saturday, May 4, 9 am

Spread the word, the more the merrier.

In the meantime if anyone rides/hikes the trail feel free to suggest any items or sections that require maintenance, or if you have suggestions for improvements, and I'll start to compile a list.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I'd be into helping out on one or possibly both of those days.

mtbr member
    i can make hte sunday, saturday i can be there by 1 with beer
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey,

I would love to come out and help you guys with the trail.

I just signed up and picked up my first real mountainbike a few days ago. I live close by this area and would love to explore this trail this summer (never knew about it). Would be great to meet a few local riders.
    So count me in :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is the entrance to this trail only from the path on the north west side of the bridge on Dundas st? If so, that area has been fenced off as construction crews seem to be using it to transfer underground pipes I believe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by desi4life10 View Post
    Is the entrance to this trail only from the path on the north west side of the bridge on Dundas st? If so, that area has been fenced off as construction crews seem to be using it to transfer underground pipes I believe.
    Hmmm, havent driven by there in while, but you are correct about the trails entrance. It shouldn't be a big deal to get around the construction and on to the trail! Count me in for either of those trail maintenance days!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think we should come up with a game plan on how to use these build days effectively. Can the majority of you guys commit to both days? Should we focus the first day on walking the trails and doing minor clean up. This way we could find the areas that need further attention for the second day? I know I have three other friends that arent on this site that are also willing to help? let me know what your ideas are?

rwmtb
    Quote Originally Posted by MXblur View Post
    I think we should come up with a game plan on how to use these build days effectively. Can the majority of you guys commit to both days? Should we focus the first day on walking the trails and doing minor clean up. This way we could find the areas that need further attention for the second day? I know I have three other friends that arent on this site that are also willing to help? let me know what your ideas are?
    Agreed, we'll need a game plan for our work days. I plan to hike the trails beforehand to get a sense of where the trail are at and what are some of the things that we need to work on. My focus will primarily be on maintenance, and improving some of the sections which are a bit sketchy (or a safety concern.) I won't be looking at things like structures, but am definitely open to these. I have a satellite photo of the area (thanks Google maps) with an overlay of the trail that we can use to start marking up where we need to do work. Regardless, I like the idea of walking the trail first to get everyone oriented and solidify our plan for the day.

And if we need to, we can always schedule more work days.

Great to hear/see all the volunteers that are planning on coming.

rwmtb
    Quote Originally Posted by desi4life10 View Post
    The trailhead is on the northeast side of the bridge actually (not northwest). They have a section on the northwest side of the bridge fenced off as a staging area for their construction, but this won't interfere with our work (and we won't interfere with theirs.)

Not sure if this will work, but try these "directions" with the final destination being the trailhead. The trailhead is a small driveway to nowhere, and is immediately west of a lonely house beside the bus parking lot. Hope that helps.

rwmtb

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Brontemtb email

I have setup an email account to start to coordinate better. If you plan to attend, or even if you are just interested, please email brontemtb@gmail.com. I will start to maintain a distribution list there.

Evil Jr.
    This sounds like a great opportunity and project!

If I can make a few suggestions, I'd recommend keeping track of who shows up for the maintenance days and logging your hours. Build a solid list of contacts and think about forming a "Friends of Bronte" sort of group (Facebook has been awesome for us in this regard). Keep in touch with the Ministry and/or Park Staff too - they may be your strongest allies in the future.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmtb View Post
    The trailhead is on the northeast side of the bridge actually (not northwest). They have a section on the northwest side of the bridge fenced off as a staging area for their construction, but this won't interfere with our work (and we won't interfere with theirs.)

Not sure if this will work, but try these "directions" with the final destination being the trailhead. The trailhead is a small driveway to nowhere, and is immediately west of a lonely house beside the bus parking lot. Hope that helps.
    Rwmtb you are correct about the trail heads location. I apologize for the misdirection, don't know what I was thinking last night!

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I took a drive over there yesterday with the intention of taking a walk on the trail to see what we're dealing with. I see the No Trespassing sign (courtesy of the Gov of Ontario) and the chain across the entrance is still there. Gets me wondering if we can go in and do the work without fear of being arrested...do we have permission to be doing this?
    Last edited by Pucker Factor; 03-25-2013 at 02:40 PM.

rwmtb
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    I took a drive over there yesterday with the intention of taking a walk on the trail to see what we're dealing with. I see the No Trespassing sign (courtesy of the Gov of Ontario) and the chain across the entrance is still there. Gets me wondering if we can go in and do the work without fear of being arrested...do we have permission to be doing this?
    We have permission from the MNR to use this land for mountain biking (see first post in thread for excerpt from their response to my query). I'm assuming though that you saw this post. Part of the intention of getting a group of folks out to do some work on the trail is to see what interest is out there and hopefully use this as a catalyst for getting a more formal group together. What the "more formal group" may look like is tbd, but at minimum some form of organization that can work with MNR/Bronte Creek Park to say that we'd like to be part of the process to define the Site Management Plan for this land, and even volunteer to take on the responsibility for maintaining the trail. I think in the meantime we use our judgement in what we propose to do-- for example, as much as I'd love to break new trail we'd probably want to hold off on this and simply maintain what is there. To me the focus for now is keeping the existing trail in good shape including some minor modifications to keep it safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Myself and a friend will be there this weekend to start clean up.
    Theres really no need to blaze any new trails as there is alot of old trail the further out you go.

Once the better weather starts there is a couple of structures I intend on rebuilding as theyve become a little dangerous.

But for now, lets simply break out the rakes and get it cleaned (as much as we can atleast) then we can worry about building and shaping the trail

Like I mentioned previously, we ride there atleast once per week so we know the trail pretty well. And surprisingly, Ive only seen one other rider there in the past year
    And i'll see you guys on both days as well

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamhaymaker View Post
    Myself and a friend will be there this weekend to start clean up.
    Theres really no need to blaze any new trails as there is alot of old trail the further out you go.

Once the better weather starts there is a couple of structures I intend on rebuilding as theyve become a little dangerous.

But for now, lets simply break out the rakes and get it cleaned (as much as we can atleast) then we can worry about building and shaping the trail

Like I mentioned previously, we ride there atleast once per week so we know the trail pretty well. And surprisingly, Ive only seen one other rider there in the past year
    And i'll see you guys on both days as well
    So you guys just park on the side of Dundas near that chained-off entrance and ride in?

I was somewhat concerned that a bunch of cars parked there would attract some unwanted attention. Anyway, I'm gonna be there and I'll try to get my hands on a wheelbarrow in case we need to haul a lot of garbage out of there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    no, we park at LA Fitness or the school down the road and ride over.
    It sucks because you have to cross the bridge, but theres not much in the way of options

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    rwmtb I have sent you and email.

I am in for sure and willing to help out where I can. I rode these trails a fair amount in the past but kept away since the chain went up. This is an amazing opportunity for local MTBers to convince the MNR and the Ontario Government that we are willing to work together towards sustainable trails on the surrounding lands of Bronte Provincial Park. I look forward to seeing where this all leads, along with helping to create a great place to ride without worrying about being charged with trespassing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got the rake and shovel out. Looking forward to sunday!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast