Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    105

    Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system

    Please pass this along to any riders you know who use these trails.

    Warning to all Cyclists

    Bridges on the Don Valley Mountain Bike Trail have been sabotaged. Please inspect all bridges before proceeding.!!

    Bridge was cut partially through in Four places and appeared undamaged from above. The fall from this Bridge is Nine to 16 Ft, depending on which side you fell from!!! The Bridge was left in this condition to deliberately injure riders.

    Notes;

    -from the very fine consistency of the sawdust it appears a battery operated Sawsall was used.
    -Entry and Exit were on foot. ( see below )


    Two sets of tire tracks crossed the bridge and an set of shoe prints were found on the slope at the west end of the Bridge. I tracked these appox. Two Km, and found the Two cyclists, they accompaned me back to the Bridge and helped me safely bring the bridge down. The Bridge sections are still in the ravine and will be repaired by volunteers in the coming days.


    Ted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system-img_3899.jpg  

    Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system-img_3900.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: somnambulant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60
    So effed up. I don't know what's wrong with people. I was sad enough by the amount of garbage up on Catalyst (visible now that the leaves are all down) this week, and now this?

  3. #3
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Well that's clearly not the act of a sound mind. Life's so short; why waste it wrecking other peoples' fun?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  4. #4
    Up, Up, and Away!
    Reputation: SuprGrovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    246

    Maybe time to set up a few of these...


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Life's so short; why waste it wrecking other peoples' fun?
    Not to be cyncial (or philosophical), but I would suggest that entire governments, religions and societies have been based on carrying out that very objective.

  6. #6
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,421
    Is this on Catalyst?

    Pretty much becoming a yearly occurrence.

  7. #7
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/vie...p?f=22&t=35096

    http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=20520

    This was done with the full intent to maim or kill. Similar tactics where used on the the North Vancouver trails . This stuff should be reported to the cops.

  8. #8
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k1lluaA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    332
    nice...some saw wielding tard out there ****ing with trails...

    On a related note are there any maps of the trail network anywhere?
    2008 Kona Caldera

    "Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

  10. #10
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    On a related note are there any maps of the trail network anywhere?
    None really. One has to learn it either by hooking up with group rides or exploring by yourself. A lot of what I know I discovered when I was trail running when I moved out in 2002.

    If you look at Google Map in Satellite mode you can see some of the trails and where they start.

  11. #11
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    Probably better to get the police and media involved and let them try to do it. As per the MTB community i'm proud nobody has retaliated by laying booby traps for hikers. The last thing we need is some sociopath to ruin it for everybody.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr.Zoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Thanks for the heads-up. For sure report it to the cops.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k1lluaA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    332
    i gotta agree with elec...

    when has anyone ever heard of mtber's setting traps for hikers...

    Makes me a bit scared to ride like anywhere...Maybe after the bridge is rebuilt, some of us should stealthly camp out and see if the ass hat comes back to do it again...
    2008 Kona Caldera

    "Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    smarty: I would suggest that entire governments, religions and societies have been based on carrying out that very objective.

    So true and so sad ...
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Is this on Catalyst?

    Pretty much becoming a yearly occurrence.
    I'm not sure where exactly these bridges were located. I rode the ridge, PA, catalyst and the flats, and all the bridges there were fine. I didn't ride IG, RJ or anything farther north (where I suspect the sabotage was done).

    Truthful, it was not the treachery of mankind, but rather that of Mother Nature that did me the most harm this morning. Leaves + water + frozen ground = my orange lycra'ed arse hitting that very same frozen ground several times during my ride. Ow. Watch the corners covered with leaves today - I think I crashed in every one of them.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    498
    I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that it's "hikers" per se. Cheaps**t vandalism is a fact of life. Any 'tard could come up with this idea quite independently of the larger hiking/cycling issue. Thanks to Ted for spotting this and getting the word out!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hi All,

    I'm a journalist working on a story about this incident. Does anyone have a good idea of where the bridge is approximately located?

    Also, if anyone from the Toronto area would like to share their story of trail vandalism/sabotage and how it was dealt with, I would like to talk to you about it.

    I am writing the story for OpenFile.ca.

    Sincerely,
    Tim

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-a
    Hi All,

    I'm a journalist working on a story about this incident. Does anyone have a good idea of where the bridge is approximately located?

    Also, if anyone from the Toronto area would like to share their story of trail vandalism/sabotage and how it was dealt with, I would like to talk to you about it.

    I am writing the story for OpenFile.ca.

    Sincerely,
    Tim
    I've not gone and checked the damage out personally but from what I gather the trails are in the vicinity of Beth Nealson dr. and Overlea.

    What I do not get (segue-ing into a question nobody asked) is why these trails specifically are being targeting? As far as I know there shouldn't be any user conflict in this area as there was nothing there whatsoever except thick bush and occassional illegally dumped industrial/residential waste before the trails went in a few years back.

    Realistically at this point if the most viable option is removing the bridges and working the trails around somehow, that is what we should look at doing. 'Rebuild it stronger' is all well and good, but I get the feeling that whoever is doing this would simply take it as a challenge to 'break it better' (or sneakier).

  19. #19
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    732
    made it into the Toronto Star....

    http://www.thestar.com/news/transpor...ridge-sabotage
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    498
    However, two city officials, concerned following reports of the recent damage, went to check the repaired bridge on Sunday and declared it safe, said James Dann, the cityís manager of waterfront parks
    .
    Now that's interesting.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    151
    It stated about 6wks ago. Catalyst and Rim Job are a bust for now until repaired. Perhaps they're ready for action again, not sure, haven't been there for a week.

  23. #23
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    .
    Now that's interesting.
    Yeah, for the city's sake they probably shouldn't be making such a proclamation even if it is true in a common sense way.

  24. #24
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    What I do not get (segue-ing into a question nobody asked) is why these trails specifically are being targeting?
    Isolation. I must have ridden that grind 30 times this summer on an after-work basis (not including the SBDR) and encountered an average of maybe 0.3 other people per ride.

    That was in the summer. This time of the year he knows no one will catch him.

    And with all the leaves down no one can sneak up on him.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Isolation. I must have ridden that grind 30 times this summer on an after-work basis (not including the SBDR) and encountered an average of maybe 0.3 other people per ride.

    That was in the summer. This time of the year he knows no one will catch him.

    And with all the leaves down no one can sneak up on him.
    In other words, the perp is being overly cautious. Speaks to the general pattern that seems to be emerging of deliberate, repeated, and malicious activity.

  26. #26
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Made it on CTV news last night.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  27. #27
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Made it on CTV news last night.
    Really? Did they add anything to the story?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  28. #28
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,421

  29. #29
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Really? Did they add anything to the story?

    Sorry, it was Global TV News Toronto. They all look the same to me after a while. I rarely watch the news and it was on while I was getting my hair cut.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439

  31. #31
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    If/when they catch them, I sincerely hope it's someone associated with one of the bird-watcher 'friends' groups. After all the libel and slander they've thrown at MTBers over the years, I have to admit I'd take a little pleasure in watching them wallow in all the negative media attention that would surely follow.

  32. #32
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Totally OT but who is that in your new avatar LuMach?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  33. #33
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    Caveman from the Geico commercials

  34. #34
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Caveman from the Geico commercials
    lol, in B&W, he looks way more dramatic. I had something more like Gil Scott Heron in mind!

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rGaRtqrlGy8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rGaRtqrlGy8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Near north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    459
    If he is just a plain nut and not an angry bird watcher he will love the news coverage.

  36. #36
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north
    If he is just a plain nut and not an angry bird watcher he will love the news coverage.

    Though to be fair all the press about mtbing in the Don from Don Watcher to the Echo in 2007 has been making mtbers look like Riders of the Sith. This time it's the press with others looking evil.

    Now comes the bigger question, will the riders use this to their advantage with relations with the City or will it be allowed to slide as always. And resume the status quo. It's stuff like this that we use to our advantage.

    For example, the Trail Nazis work while going after mtbers endangers all Don users. A trail runner could stop on the bridge it snaps and best case breaks his leg or worst case snaps his neck and he dies.

  37. #37
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Though to be fair all the press about mtbing in the Don from Don Watcher to the Echo in 2007 has been making mtbers look like Riders of the Sith. This time it's the press with others looking evil.

    Now comes the bigger question, will the riders use this to their advantage with relations with the City or will it be allowed to slide as always. And resume the status quo. It's stuff like this that we use to our advantage.

    For example, the Trail Nazis work while going after mtbers endangers all Don users. A trail runner could stop on the bridge it snaps and best case breaks his leg or worst case snaps his neck and he dies.
    How might we parlay this into a better relationship with the city? Other than making them feel even more liable.

  38. #38
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    How might we parlay this into a better relationship with the city? Other than making them feel even more liable.
    Because sticking our heads in the ground has done so well to date.

    The dog walkers in the Don have a better relationship with the city then cyclists. Why? Simple really, they organized themselves into a group and improved their relations. The city works better with an organization then 5 voices claiming to rep the interest group. This is a perfect oppurtunity for a organization like TORBA to have jumped on.

    Sadly I predict that it will be the status quo again in 6 months. And the riders will be whining as usual about the city not listening. And nothing will change other then city sponsored smoothing of the trails. While the riders in fight amongst each other.

  39. #39
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Because sticking our heads in the ground has done so well to date.

    The dog walkers in the Don have a better relationship with the city then cyclists. Why? Simple really, they organized themselves into a group and improved their relations. The city works better with an organization then 5 voices claiming to rep the interest group. This is a perfect oppurtunity for a organization like TORBA to have jumped on.

    Sadly I predict that it will be the status quo again in 6 months. And the riders will be whining as usual about the city not listening. And nothing will change other then city sponsored smoothing of the trails. While the riders in fight amongst each other.
    Uh, okay Nostradamus. My question was, what is your idea. I thought you had one instead of just another criticism. FYI, you come across like those whining riders you claim to despise when you complain like that. Wait you ride don't you? ... I guess we'll have to let the people at TORBA do the talking, maybe they can figure out how to use this incredible event to help us out.

  40. #40
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Uh, okay Nostradamus. My question was, what is your idea. I thought you had one instead of just another criticism. FYI, you come across like those whining riders you claim to despise when you complain like that. Wait you ride don't you? ... I guess we'll have to let the people at TORBA do the talking, maybe they can figure out how to use this incredible event to help us out.
    I know far to much about the self destruction of TORBA. But that is for another thread.


    Let's look at a website out west where the rider on the Global TV piece is from.

    http://bb.nsmb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

    Oh looky, the local trail group uses the info- they have built a relationship with the city.

    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=893

    And they report it to the authorities. They have actually built a relationship with the authorities. Sadly this incident was reported by various individuals.

    And this is not isolated to the Don. There have been several reports this year of nails being embedded in the ground on Rouge Valley trails.

  41. #41
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    I know far to much about the self destruction of TORBA. But that is for another thread.


    Let's look at a website out west where the rider on the Global TV piece is from.

    http://bb.nsmb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

    Oh looky, the local trail group uses the info- they have built a relationship with the city.

    http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=893

    And they report it to the authorities. They have actually built a relationship with the authorities. Sadly this incident was reported by various individuals.

    And this is not isolated to the Don. There have been several reports this year of nails being embedded in the ground on Rouge Valley trails.
    Interesting, I might assume that the hatred of your fellow, such that you attempt to kill them is bred in Toronto - er, well, at least the lesser show of outrage on our behalf at being the targeted of such violence. Thinking about other groups, lets not forget the dog snacks laced with rat-poison. It seems people were a lot more upset about their dog biting it or losing it's ability to **** allover a public beach. There are a lot of dog owners though. At least we have this forum to post up warnings for ourselves?

    Is there a Trail Nazi Evidence thread here? Are eco terrorists a west-coast thing? Is Vandermann out on bail or is there a copy-cat?

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640

    Slide?

    "Now comes the bigger question, will the riders use this to their advantage with relations with the City or will it be allowed to slide as always. And resume the status quo. It's stuff like this that we use to our advantage."

    I have nothing to do with these trails, but have had several fantastic rides on them and am very interested in how sweet singletrack is maintained when surrounded by millions of people.
    It appears to be moving in the right direction with trail days and new sanctioned sections being built. I certainly enjoyed the new lines last summer. TORBA stepped up and addressed this crappy situation. What more could/should be done.


    From the star article

    “Timothy Charles, founder of the Toronto Off-Road Biking Association, said the supporting beam of the bridge appears to have been deliberately cut partway through in several places that couldn’t be seen by anyone crossing above.”

    “Unlike the paved paths and roads in area, the ravine trails aren’t officially sanctioned by the city, though Charles said his advocacy group is working with Parks and Recreation to create a mountain biking strategy.”

    “There are a large number of volunteers ready and willing to look after and maintain the trails.”

    Looks to me like these trails are still working well.

  43. #43
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,297
    tim is the best person for a thankless job. lets show him our support and move on.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  44. #44
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    tim is the best person for a thankless job. lets show him our support and move on.

    Come on. It's winter.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    185

    ...back to the matter at hand

    Here is what the bridge (bridges, now) looked like this morning:

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/smarty-1/5231317131/" title="IMG-20101204-00013 by smarty-1, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5246/5231317131_61fea3b7f0.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="IMG-20101204-00013" /></a>

    Personally, I think this will be a better set up than what was there previously (I hated the previous bridge, but not enough to harm it or harm others). The trail gnomes have been busy - a bit more digging and there will be a nice transition to both of these bridges. The trail gnomes have also improved the two bridges leading up to this bridge.

    Overall, I would say that IG has benefited from all of this.

    The trails are in fantastic shape right now. Nice and frozen with just enough sketchiness to keep it interesting.

  46. #46
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Interesting, I might assume that the hatred of your fellow, such that you attempt to kill them is bred in Toronto - er, well, at least the lesser show of outrage on our behalf at being the targeted of such violence. Thinking about other groups, lets not forget the dog snacks laced with rat-poison. It seems people were a lot more upset about their dog biting it or losing it's ability to **** allover a public beach. There are a lot of dog owners though. At least we have this forum to post up warnings for ourselves?
    Not just in Toronto. There was an incident on the trails of Edmonton this year for example. Really any where you go there will be those who will become zealots about this simply because it is wrong in their mind. And feel that they must impose their view if freedom on others.

    Sure I have had issue with a couple of dog walkers in the Don. there was that one guy with Rhodesian Ridgebacks who tried to bully my buddies 70 year old mother.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    I
    Is there a Trail Nazi Evidence thread here?
    No. Though being it tends to be more of a local thing I would think being on the more local forums would be more effective. Like Dropmachine.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    I
    Are eco terrorists a west-coast thing?
    No, these types can be found just about any where.

  47. #47
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    ...

    Personally, I think this will be a better set up than what was there previously (I hated the previous bridge, but not enough to harm it or harm others). The trail gnomes have been busy - a bit more digging and there will be a nice transition to both of these bridges. The trail gnomes have also improved the two bridges leading up to this bridge.

    Overall, I would say that IG has benefited from all of this.

    The trails are in fantastic shape right now. Nice and frozen with just enough sketchiness to keep it interesting.
    I've heard the trail gnomes get angry if you disturb them while working!! Though some loner gnomes are curious and get caught stalking humans:

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81OwP7RJ3BI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81OwP7RJ3BI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

  48. #48
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/smarty-1/5231317131/" title="IMG-20101204-00013 by smarty-1, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5246/5231317131_61fea3b7f0.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="IMG-20101204-00013" /></a>

    Personally, I think this will be a better set up than what was there previously (I hated the previous bridge, but not enough to harm it or harm others).
    To early to tell. Alot of the bridges need to be higher simply to allow the run off- which brings all the crap from above down the little creek. If the bridge is to low it can get caught and create a blockage.

    To be clear- when I say crap I mean all the garbage, leaves, and other detrius that gets tossed into the valley there.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    220
    What would help prevent future incidents is running some steel strap or bar stock along the bottom edge of the support beams, where the saw blade entered the beams.

    It won't necessarily stop a sawzall - unless someone wants to go through the trouble of using cold-rolled stock and hardening it, which absolutely will stop a sawzall - but it will sure slow it down and wreck the blade eventually.

    It would be proof against a handsaw too.

    Simple enough to do and relatively cheap.

    DG

  50. #50
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by RecceDG
    What would help prevent future incidents is running some steel strap or bar stock along the bottom edge of the support beams, where the saw blade entered the beams.

    It won't necessarily stop a sawzall - unless someone wants to go through the trouble of using cold-rolled stock and hardening it, which absolutely will stop a sawzall - but it will sure slow it down and wreck the blade eventually.

    It would be proof against a handsaw too.

    Simple enough to do and relatively cheap.

    DG
    Most sawzall come with a bi-metal fine tool blade... Depressingly, I don't think there is much to stop one without spending too much money on fortifications. The only tip-off is it is a) loud and b) hard to hide, so if you see somebody carrying around one near the parking-lot take their photo - post it here or on dropmachine. If they are a trail-worker somebody prolly knows them. If not...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •