Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system

Please pass this along to any riders you know who use these trails.

Warning to all Cyclists

Bridges on the Don Valley Mountain Bike Trail have been sabotaged. Please inspect all bridges before proceeding.!!

Bridge was cut partially through in Four places and appeared undamaged from above. The fall from this Bridge is Nine to 16 Ft, depending on which side you fell from!!! The Bridge was left in this condition to deliberately injure riders.

Notes;

-from the very fine consistency of the sawdust it appears a battery operated Sawsall was used.
    -Entry and Exit were on foot. ( see below )

Two sets of tire tracks crossed the bridge and an set of shoe prints were found on the slope at the west end of the Bridge. I tracked these appox. Two Km, and found the Two cyclists, they accompaned me back to the Bridge and helped me safely bring the bridge down. The Bridge sections are still in the ravine and will be repaired by volunteers in the coming days.

Ted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system-img_3899.jpg  

Bridges sabotaged in the Don Valley trail system-img_3900.jpg  

mtbr member
    So effed up. I don't know what's wrong with people. I was sad enough by the amount of garbage up on Catalyst (visible now that the leaves are all down) this week, and now this?

Evil Jr.
    Well that's clearly not the act of a sound mind. Life's so short; why waste it wrecking other peoples' fun?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Up, Up, and Away!

Maybe time to set up a few of these...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Life's so short; why waste it wrecking other peoples' fun?
    Not to be cyncial (or philosophical), but I would suggest that entire governments, religions and societies have been based on carrying out that very objective.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Is this on Catalyst?

Pretty much becoming a yearly occurrence.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/vie...p?f=22&t=35096

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=20520

This was done with the full intent to maim or kill. Similar tactics where used on the the North Vancouver trails . This stuff should be reported to the cops.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    nice...some saw wielding tard out there ****ing with trails...

On a related note are there any maps of the trail network anywhere?
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    On a related note are there any maps of the trail network anywhere?
    None really. One has to learn it either by hooking up with group rides or exploring by yourself. A lot of what I know I discovered when I was trail running when I moved out in 2002.

If you look at Google Map in Satellite mode you can see some of the trails and where they start.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    Probably better to get the police and media involved and let them try to do it. As per the MTB community i'm proud nobody has retaliated by laying booby traps for hikers. The last thing we need is some sociopath to ruin it for everybody.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up. For sure report it to the cops.

mtbr member
    i gotta agree with elec...

when has anyone ever heard of mtber's setting traps for hikers...

Makes me a bit scared to ride like anywhere...Maybe after the bridge is rebuilt, some of us should stealthly camp out and see if the ass hat comes back to do it again...
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    smarty: I would suggest that entire governments, religions and societies have been based on carrying out that very objective.

So true and so sad ...
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Is this on Catalyst?

Pretty much becoming a yearly occurrence.
    I'm not sure where exactly these bridges were located. I rode the ridge, PA, catalyst and the flats, and all the bridges there were fine. I didn't ride IG, RJ or anything farther north (where I suspect the sabotage was done).

Truthful, it was not the treachery of mankind, but rather that of Mother Nature that did me the most harm this morning. Leaves + water + frozen ground = my orange lycra'ed arse hitting that very same frozen ground several times during my ride. Ow. Watch the corners covered with leaves today - I think I crashed in every one of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that it's "hikers" per se. Cheaps**t vandalism is a fact of life. Any 'tard could come up with this idea quite independently of the larger hiking/cycling issue. Thanks to Ted for spotting this and getting the word out!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi All,

I'm a journalist working on a story about this incident. Does anyone have a good idea of where the bridge is approximately located?

Also, if anyone from the Toronto area would like to share their story of trail vandalism/sabotage and how it was dealt with, I would like to talk to you about it.

I am writing the story for OpenFile.ca.

Sincerely,
    Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-a
    Hi All,

I'm a journalist working on a story about this incident. Does anyone have a good idea of where the bridge is approximately located?

Also, if anyone from the Toronto area would like to share their story of trail vandalism/sabotage and how it was dealt with, I would like to talk to you about it.

I am writing the story for OpenFile.ca.

Sincerely,
    Tim
    I've not gone and checked the damage out personally but from what I gather the trails are in the vicinity of Beth Nealson dr. and Overlea.

What I do not get (segue-ing into a question nobody asked) is why these trails specifically are being targeting? As far as I know there shouldn't be any user conflict in this area as there was nothing there whatsoever except thick bush and occassional illegally dumped industrial/residential waste before the trails went in a few years back.

Realistically at this point if the most viable option is removing the bridges and working the trails around somehow, that is what we should look at doing. 'Rebuild it stronger' is all well and good, but I get the feeling that whoever is doing this would simply take it as a challenge to 'break it better' (or sneakier).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    made it into the Toronto Star....

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpor...ridge-sabotage
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    However, two city officials, concerned following reports of the recent damage, went to check the repaired bridge on Sunday and declared it safe, said James Dann, the city’s manager of waterfront parks
    Now that's interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It stated about 6wks ago. Catalyst and Rim Job are a bust for now until repaired. Perhaps they're ready for action again, not sure, haven't been there for a week.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    Now that's interesting.
    Yeah, for the city's sake they probably shouldn't be making such a proclamation even if it is true in a common sense way.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    What I do not get (segue-ing into a question nobody asked) is why these trails specifically are being targeting?
    Isolation. I must have ridden that grind 30 times this summer on an after-work basis (not including the SBDR) and encountered an average of maybe 0.3 other people per ride.

That was in the summer. This time of the year he knows no one will catch him.

And with all the leaves down no one can sneak up on him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
    Isolation. I must have ridden that grind 30 times this summer on an after-work basis (not including the SBDR) and encountered an average of maybe 0.3 other people per ride.

That was in the summer. This time of the year he knows no one will catch him.

And with all the leaves down no one can sneak up on him.
    In other words, the perp is being overly cautious. Speaks to the general pattern that seems to be emerging of deliberate, repeated, and malicious activity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast