banned

Brampton area ??any riders

I live in Brampton Ontario and to me it looks like there is not much mountain biking going on around here . there is all this green space around and no indication of anyone riding them

Heart lake ??? Clairville ???the whole west Humber starts at my Back Yard and not a trail in sight. Is anyone interested in Developing some Trails in the area ?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Artin Aga View Post
    I live in Brampton Ontario and to me it looks like there is not much mountain biking going on around here . there is all this green space around and no indication of anyone riding them

Heart lake ??? Clairville ???the whole west Humber starts at my Back Yard and not a trail in sight. Is anyone interested in Developing some Trails in the area ?
    actually yes a huge potential. the trca is building a mut trail in the clairville area following the river. they do have public meetings regarding this trail. this trail can be a backbone trail with mtb trails leading off it.
    mike bender oversee's trail development for the trca and delegates the trail development to a land manager (who i would contact, names escapes me). now i think clairville falls into the airport green business zone project (which is part of the living city) so trails that provide recreation opprotunties can be fast tracked and perhaps even get funding. since you live right in the area is a huge plus. there are also some informal trails down towards malton. my recomendation would be to concentrate on clairville, if you want to discuss this further just pm me...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Up, Up, and Away!
    I'm from Brampton too. I made the same observation. I agree with SS about Clairville - definitely has the most potential. There are opportunities as well along the Etobicoke Creek parallel to the MUP. All of the existing green spaces as well as those along the Etobicoke Creek are managed by TRCA as far as I know.

I would be interested in developing trails in the area, but these days any trail building days I could get out to I would owe to Joe at the Caledon Cycling Club.

humber river advocate
    here's some more info with contact person e-mail

TRCA: Claireville Conservation Area

and the management plan (a good read)

http://www.trca.on.ca/dotAsset/106937.pdf

you have to address these points for an mtb trail...

3.1.3 Guidelines for Planning Land Use Changes
    There are eight guidelines for land use changes of the CCA. These guidelines remain
    consistent with the objectives for planning for land use changes identified in the 1997
    management plan and utilize today’s conservation land planning and management
    approaches. The following guidelines for changes in land use support the management
    principles and goals identified in Section 3.1.2: Guiding Management Principles and
    Goals.
    • New land uses must be consistent with all approved strategies, policy directions
    and guidelines of the TRCA.
    • New uses will be assessed on a subwatershed basis using a screening process,
    as set out in TRCA’s Strategy for Public Use on Conservation Authority Lands
    (MTRCA, 1995).
    • All new activities must be compatible with the vision, management principles
    and goals for the CCA.
    • Any new activities and practices that would negatively affect the landscape or
    that could result in ecological damage will be prohibited.
    • New land uses will incorporate environmental improvements to link natural
    habitats and to provide trail connections between public land holdings.
    • New recreation uses will incorporate conservation education.
    • A portion of the revenue generated at the CCA may be used to implement
    recommendations put forth in the management plan, subject to the discretion of
    TRCA.
    • For each new or change in public use of TRCA lands, all those with direct
    interest, involvement or investment in the CCA will be identified and will be
    involved as part of the planning, assessment and evaluation process.
    Support TORBA

banned
    Lets work on this I am all for getting together and putting some effort into building a nice mountain bike Trail network like they have it in Ravenshoe
    Clairville is perfect it would cater a huge very central for users from Vaughn Woodbridge and even Bolton
    and off course Brampton

humber river advocate
    Lets work on this I am all for getting together and putting some effort into building a nice mountain bike Trail network like they have it in Ravenshoe
    Clairville is perfect it would cater a huge very central for users from Vaughn Woodbridge and even Bolton
    and off course Brampton
    not a problem, i can help out. i would also consider it as part of a large future network that runs the entire length of the humber watershed. my first suggestion would be to think about creating something along the line of torba (toronto offroad bicycle association). don't worry about holding trail rides etc. just concentrate on trail building. the quick method is to join imba as a club, but not necessary. as of right now you need bodies to build up your volunteer base. then hold a meeting to discuss the next move and deligate the tasks based on volunteer strengths. then request a meeting with the trca and see what they have to say with regards to the area. doing your homework is very important.
    Support TORBA

namagomi

Apparently in Clairville there is a flooding problem.

Evil Jr.
    Setting up a new club can be a lot of work so you might also consider joining an existing club (like TORBA or Caledon or BMBC) and asking about being the Director of Claireville Trails (or some other fancy title).

That's what we (by meeting here on MTBR casually) did in Hamilton after debating whether or not to form a club on our own.

We joined the Hamilton Cycling Club, got them to affiliate with IMBA and then pounded the pavement until someone gave us permission to build.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Apparently in Clairville there is a flooding problem.
    There is flooding problem at Raven-shoe as well but the trails are carved on high grounds and man made bridges take care of the low points
    Honestly Mountain biking has very little impact on the environment Kelso has been used extensively by a ton of riders for 20 years and the eco system is the same as it always was
    this Land at Clairville I drive by every day to and from home, And I have never seen anyone using it not a soul can be seen walking the Trails ( near Goreway and Queen ) there is from what I see a horse back riding Farm near by I don't know if they Use the park or not but for the most part it is empty and it would make a wonderful mountain bike park.

I <3 29ers
    Don't be fooled, there's a spot or two in Brampton to go mountain biking. Problem is it's not legal.

Then again none of the good things in life are.

There's also supposed to be something up in Bolton, north of the valley, but i've not been on it and i'm pretty sure it's not bike friendly (ie bunch of sissies say we can't ride on it *shrug*).

Claireville is certainly used. I've been there a few times (walking ..... uuugghghghg) and i've always seen people walking dogs or groups of kids waltzing about. Supposed to be a great place to go bird watching. Only birds I saw were minors.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Setting up a new club can be a lot of work so you might also consider joining an existing club (like TORBA or Caledon or BMBC) and asking about being the Director of Claireville Trails (or some other fancy title).

That's what we (by meeting here on MTBR casually) did in Hamilton after debating whether or not to form a club on our own.

We joined the Hamilton Cycling Club, got them to affiliate with IMBA and then pounded the pavement until someone gave us permission to build.
    i think it is important to be located in the brampton area... there is the
    Brampton Cycling Club

flooding is an issue all down the humber watershed... always has been
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Did anything ever happen with Clairville?