mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bottom Bracket question

Looking at a new frame and the BB shell has no threads. In the past I have used external bearing and was wondering what the advantage is of having no threads. Is there a type of BB that is best suited for this or is it meant to be universal. The frame is a Kona Raijinhttp://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like a PF30. Couple of threads here discussing it. Have to use a compatible crankset. I think I read that Shimano doesn't support it.
    Press Fit vs Threaded Bottom Brackets
    Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

ups and downs
    Can also be a BB-92 press fit, (41mm diameter). Sadly Kona keeps all the specs a secret on the Raijin frame.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    So uber-classified it was hidden on the 2nd link when you google "Kona Raijin"?

Picture 1418 In Stock and Available Now – The New Titanium 29 Kona Raijin | Kona COG

So sneaky.

cyberbully
    fits the same way as a headset does. like those guys said, one of those two standards...frankly I'm surprised there are only two standards

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    fits the same way as a headset does. like those guys said, one of those two standards...frankly I'm surprised there are only two standards
    Actually, not true. And though the Kona website is ambiguous about this from the pic it appears to be a 46mm shell (PF30) BB. There is also BB30 where the outer metal bearing race presses directly into the frame. Slightly smaller shell but accepts the same 30mm axle.

I think Cervelo's 'BBright' is tweaked a bit too. Then add in Spanish and American BMX BBs, and the old Fisher/Merlin 6903 press-fits, and you have significantly more than two.

Oh and I forgot to add, BB92 and BB86 are different widths for MTB and road respectively.

cyberbully
    forgot about the bmx ones, was thinking in terms of newer standards...dammit bike industry: you never fail to not surprise me, even with my hindsight goggles on.

...the 2nd pic in your link is labelled bb30, VY...but i'd trust you over a picture on the web...no, seriously i would...

this link explains it: Bottom Bracket Standards - Slowtwitch.com

next big thing: cottered cranks will make a comeback...

Lemmy Rules!
    Awesome bike TP. Now try not to ride this one into anything...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That last one really woke me up. For the next couple of weeks I felt like my body was used for batting practice.
    I'm sorry for not asking this earlier but is everything OK with your bike.
    I think that I went over your wheels

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    That last one really woke me up. For the next couple of weeks I felt like my body was used for batting practice.
    You did go over my wheels but fortunately (for my bike) you were airborne at the time. My bike is fine. I guess that settles the " is the aluminum Misfit more durable than the steel Misfit" debate once and for all. I'm just glad you are ok. That was one scary crash...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The steel frame cracked and folded but the carbon forks came away uncsathed.
    I ordered the Raijin yesterday so once I figure out what pieces to add, it should be ready for spring

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thank you guys for all the info on the BB's

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    What the heck happened?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    What the heck happened?
    Basically there was alcohol fuelled mayhem at the anti race. We were all racing down the fire road from Three Stage on the way back. There was a sharp left handed and someone moved across not realizing I was behind them. I think it was Arek. I ended up in the ditch, unscathed but shaken up. I had just got up and was standing on the ditch with my bike still on the ground, when along comes Glen, who has overcooked the turn, gone wide and also wound up in the ditch. He hits my bike and gets catapulted OTB. His frame basically folded in half, with the top tube detaching from e head tube and the down tube crumpling. My bike ( the white ALC) was to my utter amazement undamaged. I seriously thought Glen had killed himself because he was going so fast. Was actually pretty scary.

Moral of the story: when Del says "last one to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill is a Hannem"', sometimes it is ok to be the Hannem....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    ... someone moved across not realizing I was behind them. I think it was Arek. I ended up in the ditch, unscathed but shaken up.
    Umm.. From where I was - about 8-10 seconds behind you - it looked like it was you who "overcooked" the turn, at least I didn't notice much of interference from other riders... Then Glenn followed coming in right behind me.

mtbr member
    You wont regret. Lynskey does great Ti work, and Kona looks to have designed a really nice frame. This will be the 3rd Rajin someone I know is buying; Kona really needs to make more stuff like this.

Although...english threaded BB's FTW!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Umm.. From where I was - about 8-10 seconds behind you - it looked like it was you who "overcooked" the turn, at least I didn't notice much of interference from other riders... Then Glenn followed coming in right behind me.
    Maybe it was someone else and I just assumed it was you because you are generally ahead of me. Or at least you were last year...
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No. Moderator
    Basically there was alcohol fuelled mayhem at the anti race. We were all racing down the fire road from Three Stage on the way back. There was a sharp left handed and someone moved across not realizing I was behind them. I think it was Arek. I ended up in the ditch, unscathed but shaken up. I had just got up and was standing on the ditch with my bike still on the ground, when along comes Glen, who has overcooked the turn, gone wide and also wound up in the ditch. He hits my bike and gets catapulted OTB. His frame basically folded in half, with the top tube detaching from e head tube and the down tube crumpling. My bike ( the white ALC) was to my utter amazement undamaged. I seriously thought Glen had killed himself because he was going so fast. Was actually pretty scary.
    And you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Moral of the story: when Del says "last one to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill is a Hannem"', sometimes it is ok to be the Hannem....
    That wasn`t a fire road that was a road, everything else seems accurate, including not stopping till the stop sign at the bottom(which i won BTW NBD) after almost going in the ditch following Louda`s line. good times

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

now I'm stuck which FTW is this?

Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    You wont regret. Lynskey does great Ti work, and Kona looks to have designed a really nice frame. This will be the 3rd Rajin someone I know is buying; Kona really needs to make more stuff like this.

Although...english threaded BB's FTW!
    just wondering

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    just wondering
    Win. But this is coming from a guy also loves square taper cranks so take it for what its worth. Maybe I am grumpy, but I fail to see all the benefits of 238747732 different diameters of HT's and BB's. Regardless, the Rajin looks amazing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I am curious because last spring I built up a CF CX

Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Win. But this is coming from a guy also loves square taper cranks so take it for what its worth. Maybe I am grumpy, but I fail to see all the benefits of 238747732 different diameters of HT's and BB's. Regardless, the Rajin looks amazing.
    frame (chinese) and used DA triple. Broke the chainstay so it's scrap, but am looking at Price Point Sette 29er CF frame and might use the DA shifters, and crank but there are some KLite carbon cranks around for 299, double 27-42. I am comfortable mixing road and mtb components, but am trying to think of a reason not to use a perfectly good road crank with 68 English thread BB. So am looking at what others think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    frame (chinese) and used DA triple. Broke the chainstay so it's scrap, but am looking at Price Point Sette 29er CF frame and might use the DA shifters, and crank but there are some KLite carbon cranks around for 299, double 27-42. I am comfortable mixing road and mtb components, but am trying to think of a reason not to use a perfectly good road crank with 68 English thread BB. So am looking at what others think.
    There is a very good chance that a road crank will not have sufficient clearance for the chainstays on a 29er. Not saying it won't work, but i wouldn't pull the trigger expecting it would.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

good point. When I first built up the Orbea 29 frame,

Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    There is a very good chance that a road crank will not have sufficient clearance for the chainstays on a 29er. Not saying it won't work, but i wouldn't pull the trigger expecting it would.
    I used the same setup and it worked there. The Sette frame might be a little wider, and if I started with that frame, that would be my excuse to dump the DA crank and go with the FSA carbon double.(I did need an excuse remember) FSA crank is 10 speed, so I am still taking a chance with the
    9 speed chain, cassette, and rear derailler, but in the end it all works out.
    This is my P2A bike. I was disappointed last year with the clearance on the rear chainstay, as the mud had it clogged up pretty good.