mtbr member

Blue Mtn on a hardtail

Anyone venture upto Blue on a hardtail? OR is it Dh rigs only?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I haven't been up to blue myself but I know a couple of guys that race DH there on AM hardtails...

humber river advocate
    i've seen hardtail rigs up there... though if it is a lightweight xc bike you will be breaking something. any other bike you should be ok. just ride within your and the bikes limits.

mtbr member
    I've ridden there on my XC hardail and it's severely punishing.

Burnt Orange Lives

you can do it

Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Anyone venture upto Blue on a hardtail? OR is it Dh rigs only?
    but i don't think it'd be as much fun as if you had AM FS. last season i was up at the blue climbing the scenic caves rd and few other gravel roads that lead to the top of the hill, as a training and was going down the easiest DH trail - all the way to the side - by the asphalt road, and it was fun on my titus racer-x - but it definitely exposed all the weaknesses of the XC setup bike going down these trails... hardtail would have been punishing, for sure....

but at the end of the say - a bike is a bike and if you do not have anything else - do it. just make sure you are comfortable doing what you will be doing as a little mistake can bite you - you know where...
    Signature

humber river advocate
    titus racer-x is such a crappy bike... how much did you pay for it?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    We took the kids to watch some of the super-D practice runs on Saturday and there were lots of guys riding HT. I'd be comfortable on a HT I think if it had enough up front and was slack enough. It's not like you're spending a lot of time on the saddle...
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Totally doable but it'll wear you down faster that's all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was up there for a Fly Gurlz clinic which my wife was in, and opted to ride up the chairlift and head along the Bruce.. wasn't too bad.

On the way back me and another rider I was riding with came down the easiest down hill trail, and at speed it's pretty hectic.

I'm pretty open to speed and bumps but found myself straining to hold on and brake at the same time... I ride an 03'ish rock hopper, so it's not exactly top of the line, but it was an experience

3 Stages rocks and it just around the corner..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not sure if HubbaMan meant the same thing, but for me feeling "worn down" was from all the shock absorption my bones and joints took (i.e. not from exhaustion). So, yes ... totally doable on an HT, but slower and no big jumps (in my case).