Live Free or Ride!

Blue Mountain....whats up?

Anyone know whats happening with Blue Mountain for this upcoming season, last I heard they bulldozed the park and thats it.....
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

bi-winning

Dropmachine

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    Anyone know whats happening with Blue Mountain for this upcoming season, last I heard they bulldozed the park and thats it.....
    What i gather from Dropmachine is that they will be having a planning session for the DH season this month, and we may get some new information some time around March.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Sir Hurt Locker
    Blue just keeps getting worse. I hear the trails are gonna be pretty tame this season, and also there are supposed to be a bunch of restrictions on who can ride the trails and what armour is mandatory. Hopefully we get some official news soon.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    they should be announcing their plan for '08 at the bike show. At the same time they are trying to sell season's passes

They were put in a tough situation last year, two fairly serious injuries within a few weeks of one another. Their insurance company told them to do something or they would lose coverage. So it was tame the place down or close.
    If people were better at evaluating their skill set before riding the more difficult trails this wouldn't have happened

I believe this had something to do with it ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzaalTpOPWM

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    They were put in a tough situation last year, two fairly serious injuries within a few weeks of one another. Their insurance company told them to do something or they would lose coverage. So it was tame the place down or close.
    If people were better at evaluating their skill set before riding the more difficult trails this wouldn't have happened
    There was also the issue of parents dropping their kids off at blue and leaving them unattended. The kids were a significant percentage of those involved in the accidents at blue.

mtbr member
    from what I understand they are "de-tuning" some of the man made stuff, like the drop that kid got paralyzed on, and there will be some sort of guidelines or restrictions. Both of these are a result of kids riding where they shouldn't(remember when you were young and.....indestructible.), poor decision making.When I was a kid we went to Blue for the slide ride and (old) tube ride, and the sign on the way up gave us clear warning, " ride at your own risk" among a plethora of warnings. Yet we still made box cars and went so fast we would regularly fly off the tracks(man I got the burns marks still). And the tube ride was the same deal I remember people regularly walking their way down, holding an arm or somethin. You can't stop someone from doing what they want to do, especially if its fun.So the alternative is you make it tame. uh . I mean, safe, enough so that the injury rate makes the insurance company happy. Wether or not it was poor parenting, dropping their kids off and not knowing whats going on(sure that's what they tell the lawyer to get their pay day), it comes down to the kids. Think back to when u were that young. So of the two alternatives a-close the park or b-make it less dangerous for inexperienced riders and install some guidelines, I'll take "b"ANYDAY. Fahqin lawyers.

mtbr member
    I think you guys should do a little research before posting comments about a situation vs. doing things on heresay.

The posted started fine with RKJ's post, then the comment Blue just keeps getting worst? They had made progress every year and the place was just getting more features, and trails built. Until they had the issues last year where they had to do something or close the park. Then the comment about the kis who got paralyzed I would have to say from what I know the kid took a serious fall was in the hospital but was never paralysed.

And finally the multiple comments of this year will be tame and terrible, are unfounded to my knowledge as there are no plans that have been released outside of the Blue Mountain meetings. Now it is fair to speculate and say that 1. They will have more checks to make sure people don't get in over their head and don't injur them selves. Which I think is only benificial to the growth of the sport. 2. I wouldn't expect to see blue become nothing but single track pointed downhill this year. I would expect things to be built back up, possibly not to last years level because they may have to take 1 step back before the next step forward.

Oh and that video was not related to either of the injuries that had forced Blue Mountain into the situation they where in.

mtbr member
    tylerdurden119: Fahqin lawyers

Why blame the lawyers only? I have no love for lawyers, but when I see all the kids injure themselves into oblivion, I have to blame the kids and their parents too.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    it was actually two kids in a period of two weeks, wether or not these kids sustained permanent damage, i dunno. But I was told by my lbs who goes there weekly that that's what happened, two neck injuries resulting in paralysis( temp or partial of full, i dunno).Of course it's not the lawyers fault but they're just pricks, the parents not accepting responsibility for their actions or those of their kids. I'm curious to see if the west coast bike parks have had any similar experiences and how they dealt with them. I agree about pointed downhill and then it being built back up once some sort of safety system is implemented. Maybe I should have sued blue for all those road rash burns I sustained on the slide ride, and be just like the rest of society. Take responsibility for your actions. Be a real MAN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119

Take responsibility for your actions.
    What? What? You should probably retract that statement, it is rather early for April 1st jokes.

Or

Are you trying to put personal injury lawyers out of business, and clean up court schedules singlehandedly?

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Sir Hurt Locker
    UPDATE Just got this off Blue Mountain website

Mountain Biking

Spring is just around the corner and with that comes another much anticipated season of mountain biking!

This year, Blue Mountain is working towards enhancing its mountain bike terrain with the focus on enhancing its features with the exception of drops and jump tracks. The Progression Park will remain dismantled for the 2007-08 summer season, where as features such as rock gardens, ladders and entire feature runs will be built upon and enhanced. Trail information and consistent updates can be found here before and throughout the mountain bike season.

Effective for the 2008 season, riders aged 17 and under must either be accompanied by a Blue Mountain Guide, parent or have completed the rider assessment by a Guide to ride on their own. Appropriate downhill mountain biking skills and suitable equipment are required. This program provides a more structured introduction to the sport. Feedback from the end of 2006-07's mountain bike season indicates success with this progression program.

Thank you to those who have submitted your input and helped us along in the process of transitioning our downhill mountain bike facility. Please don't hesitate to get in touch in the future with any questions or comments at mountainbiking@bluemountain.ca.
    Cheers,

Seb

nimble biker
    Are blue mountain trails better hardwood?

mtbr member
    Blue Mountain and Hardwood aren't comparable. You are asking for a comaparison of Downhill lift access at Blue with XC trails at Hardwood. If you want to throw on a Full Face Helmet some armor and hit some high speed DH, drops and jumps (assuming we do get them back, that release is still a little unclear to me) Blue mountain is your place. If you plan on wearing spandex and riding some single track well Hardwood is a better option for sure (I wouldn't say the best in the area though)

Live Free or Ride!
    As always a shame that a few people can ruin it for others. Oh well life will go on I guess. Any word on the bugger that was paralyzed?
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    bike show is in two days, i'm gonna go get the answers once and for all. Whether or not they will disclose what really happened who knows, but i'll try.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119
    bike show is in two days, i'm gonna go get the answers once and for all. Whether or not they will disclose what really happened who knows, but i'll try.
    Hahaha, you and everyone else that goes to Blue Mountain, I feel sorry for those reps working that booth, they are gonna have a hell of a day.
    Cheers,

Seb