banned
    Mar 2005

Biking the Bruce Trail

Several years ago my daughter's BF biked from Collingwood to Tobermorey on the Bruce Trail...tells me it was a lot of fun and now i'm interested in trying it this spring. He tells me much of the trail is through private property and that he had to carry his bike over fences, and ride through farms, but that there are no anti-bike signs...their web site indicates that bikes are welcome:

http://www.thebrucepeninsula.com/act...ling_bruce.htm

Does anyone have any recent experience on the Bruce, especially the northern sections...his information may be out-of-date, but i can't find any information if there are areas that will not allow bikes. Sounds like it could be a fun ride, probably do the return trip in two days, so it could be a perfect week-end thing to do.

any help will greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

mtbr member

not sure what the rules are...

I was up in the Bruce county a few times this past summer and rode a few sections including BP MTB park and the Paisley tract.
    The Bruce trail sections I did were around Cape Croker-really nice riding, sort of like Hilton Falls with a view...

I got most of my info from: www.naturalretreat.com, lots of good stuff for all of Bruce County and its activities.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've done a little riding in and around Tobermory on the snowmobile trail and hiked the top 45 km of the Bruce trail. That section would be a fabulous ride, challenging and quite technical at times, with a few unrideable sections here and there. Some of the rock around Hilton falls is similar in feel.

However, I have not heard that the Bruce Trail Association condones cycling. Indeed I am pretty sure they do not, but could be wrong since it's been years since I last looked into that. Of course one cyclist passing through that area wouldn't even be noticed, but there may be a bigger issue here. The national park lands are expressly off limits to cyclists, while various other landowners may have agreements with the Bruce trail that don't involve cycling. Personally I'd love to see more long distance trails taking advantage of the spectacularly technical rock they have up there, but the Albemarle tract seems to be the only thing going right now.

banned
    Mar 2005
    thanks...i've ridden the sections around collingwood and bikes don't appear to be a problem...even through the fields behind Blue Mountain. The BF tells me that he had no problems about 5 years ago...but i just want to make sure...i would hate to be 50 miles into the ride and have to detour or turn back

i'll keep surfing the sites, but so far nothing negative on biking

bi-winning
    I often ride sections of the bruce trail. I never see any signs that say that cycling is prohibited. Only signs that say "permitted uses..." I believe that on these signs there is a picture of an XC skier, hiker, and one other, not a cyclist. So, its not permitted, yet not forbidden

I see others on bikes, so I don't worry about it. Even some dirtbikes use sections (which surly is not legal). I ride the end closest to Brock's monument. Starting at Queenston heights. There is some fun riding, but its intended purpose is hiking, so obstacles such as the Niagara Escarpment require me to dismount my bike The parts in Fireman's park are what I ride most.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No it definitely wouldn't be a situation where you got blocked or stopped... there's hardly anyone around. My recollection is that the Bruce Trail Association controls about 50 % of the trail, some 400 km. The rest is either public or private land which means the BTA has no say over the access and usage of those portions, it's strictly up to the landowner.

mtbr member
    here in dundas i bike the bruce most times i go riding! in this are there is a sing that says not to bike on the trails because ther wet and might be damaged.... i still have rode them though nobody seems do mind. durning the summer months im pretty sure its not a problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sections

The top part near Tobermory would be pointless, from Dyers Bay Road to north of Cypress Lake are impassible by bike and are some long hiking sections, South of that you have Lions head to deal with, and then the souther sections (South of Owen Sound)
    The southern sections near Collingwood are beautiful. I've ridden a few near Blue and had a great time, even passed a few trail workers...

Call the BTA an see what their view is... Have fun!

mtbr member
    I honestly thought parts of the Bruce Trail were closed to bikes. Are there any sections or is it all open? The site seems to lead me to believe there all open that would be amazing.

mtbr member
    I've always thought the Bruce Trail was off limits to bikes. I've ridden parts of it in Hamilton and always feel guilty, especially when meeting "serious" hikers on the trail. There are lots of Bruce "subtrails" along the escarpment connecting to the top or bottom of the escarpment, most are rideable but may include some walking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    On any land that is not owned or controlled by the BTA, the landowner dictates access and usage. Currently there is still 400-500 km in this category. Some is public, some is private. Most public lands are probably open to biking, with the notable exception of the national park lands. Most private landowners probably don't care one way or the other. As for the BTA, my understanding is that its policy is no biking, on all the land that it controls. However, they have no budget for any kind of enforcement, so it really depends on voluntary compliance on the part of cyclists.

The top part near Tobermory would be pointless, from Dyers Bay Road to north of Cypress Lake are impassible by bike and are some long hiking sections, South of that you have Lions head to deal with, and then the souther sections (South of Owen Sound)
    Depends on what your idea of a technical ride is! If it wasn't for Parks Canada I'd certainly take a run at it.

banned
    Mar 2005
    i ride and see a lot of bikes on top of blue mountain and to the east and west of collingwood...the trail is not posted and most of it is through private property but we have never had any problems. The hikers are all friendly, most want to talk about biking the trails.

Most of my experience if on the Ganaraska hiking trail around Wasaga Beach...this part of the trail is mixed use...bikes, hiking in summer, and snowmobile, XC ski, snowshoe in winter...just no motorized vehicles in summer...

http://www.ganaraska-hiking-trail.ca...rethetrail.htm

one day i'll do the whole thing, including the wilderness section

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did the ride about 5 years ago with 3 others. There are sections of no bikes but you can walk and its usually sensitive areas or unridable so go for it and obey the rules and signs so we do not have problems like the US is having now!