Thread: Biking in BC

Happy Mojo Rider

Biking in BC

I was wondering if anyone from this forum had travelled to BC to do some biking. I was thinking about heading out there with some friends for 4-5 days and checking it out. I have a 5.5 inch travel bike but I do mostly XC riding. I want to try doing some downhill runs but I just want to ride out of the province and BC is the Mecca so I would like peoples opinions and experiences if they have headed out there.
    Thanks For The Replies
    Ted

mtbr member
    have you looked in the Western Canada forum?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

adventurer
    I lived in North Vancouver last year so I might be able to point you in some direction!
    Where are you thinking of going?
    If you're in Vancouver, the only real XC riding is at Burnaby Mountain (but it mostly consists of long climbs and then techy descents that both DH and XC riders do lol...it just depends if you want armour or not). There's obviously good local DH in North Van (North Shore) but um, if you're just used to XC, it will be a huge slap to the face at first. There's a few good runs that be less terrifying, like CBC or Ned's on Seymour Mt. But again...need some locals to show you the trailheads.

4-5 days is short for time. Whistler has phenomenal XC (everyone says so) and obviously a fantastic DH bike park. You can find your way on the trails easier if you stuck around there. Otherwise, you'll need to find yourself some guides if you're thinking about Squamish or places in the Okanagan. SIlverstar and Sunpeaks are also good DH bike parks.

Have fun!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Check out the Sacred Rides BC singletrack itinerary for some great ideas.

www.sacredrides.com
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member

BC Bike Parks

You should check out BC Bike parks web site http://bikeparksbc.com/ you will be able to check out all the major bike parks.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

No. Just No. Moderator
    There's far, far more epic riding in BC than you could ever do in a 4-5 day trip, or 40-50 days for that matter.

Perhaps you could explain whether you want to be renting a vehicle, travelling from point to point and staying in different locations, or else whether you would like to center your daily riding in 1 or perhaps 2 spots and then do day rides or daily road trips returning to that launch point? If so, do you have any ideas of what area you plan to centralize your trip around, or areas that you have heard about and would like to see?

When you say XC rides, how much tolerance do you have for stretching your definition of XC to include what would be considered "technical" trails by typical Ontario standards? How much climbing or how many hours of riding do you think you and your friends are up to each day?

Do you want to have rides in well-marked trail systems, or do you have any skills or inclination within your group to do some exploring in large areas and trail systems, assuming you have access to maps?

Happy Mojo Rider
    I was thinking either Whistler or the interior like Fernie and so on. We are open to any form of XC as long as it's not full face helmet/armour trails we are fine. We plan on riding 5-6 hours a day with a break in between. I would prefer a well marked trail system because our sense of direction isn't so good LOL. We don't mind renting a vehicle in Calgary and driving from there and staying at a few resorts along the way.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I would suggest Fernie then Golden (esp Canyon Creek) and finish off with Jumping Pound if you have the time. But you could spend the whole time in Fernie.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

ups and downs
    The other thing to consider is that most of the BC interior and East slope mountain trails start at a fairly high elevation and can extend above the tree line at 2500m. Whatever your endurance is at 150-200m elevation starting points, it will be noticeably compromised at a 1000-1500m starting elevation. Fernie is about 1000m elevation at the base of the mountain, Whistler Village is about 675m elevation, Rossland is at 1080m elevation and much of the 7 Summits ride would take you up to 2000m+ of elevation.

As Circlip mentions there's a different trail rating system in many places in BC. At Mont Sainte Anne in Quebec for instance, the black diamond XC trails are mostly just steep with significant elevation changes and some technical trail surface features. In BC a black diamond trail is likely to have things like this on it, but are still considered XC(ish) trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Evil Jr.
    Wow, if that's considered an XC trail, I'm gonna look pretty cute riding that on a rigid SS at BCBR.

FWIW, the TransRockies had almost nothing like that in it (just a smidge in Fernie). I discovered there that what's considered "single track" in the Kootenays is closer to what we call double in Ontario.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

ups and downs
    That's true, the TransRockies uses a fair bit of fire/logging road, as does the BCBR to get between the singletrack sections, but race courses generally aren't run on black diamond trails in BC. BCBR will use the Bridle Path in North Vancouver this year, that's a Blue intermediate XC Trail in BC terminology (no TTF's), but compared to other parts of the world, it would be a black diamond for trail surface difficulty (using MSA's XC rating system).

If you're going to riding destinations where the trails are developed, you'll want to get the 411 on what the trails are like. Usually Black diamond in BC means TTF's with no bypass options.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Hack Racer
    Sunshine coast. Accessible by Ferry only.

mtbr member

humber river advocate
    wrong thread... the one above... stoners...

Happy Mojo Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Thanks HubbaMan those links look amazing!!! Have you done any of those tours at all? I met someone today that has done the Fernie Sacred rides 7 day tour and they said it was amazing. I feel like a kid in a candy store there's so many trips to do that I want to do them all.
    Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    Thanks HubbaMan those links look amazing!!! Have you done any of those tours at all? I met someone today that has done the Fernie Sacred rides 7 day tour and they said it was amazing. I feel like a kid in a candy store there's so many trips to do that I want to do them all.
    Ted
    Well, it's like this. I was planning on doing one or more of these this year, that is until my wife got laid off from her job and we dropped to a one salary household. Nice timing too, right after her maternity leave was up.
    So I'm keeping it local for now

As I said in my previous post, whatever you choose, let us know and post up a review and pics!!!!!

Have fun!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Ted, PM me your snailmail address and I will burn you a DVD of helmetcam from our BC trip. It has almost every trail we rode on it including Fernie, Golden (Mount 7), Toby Canyone, Canyon Creek and Jumping Pound. You can also find this stuff on my YouTube page but some of the sound has been disabled:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...ug&view=videos