Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Don't understand that, duty on bikes is already 13%.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    They said that customs fees will grow from 8% to 13% for imported bikes in other word we'd pay $5 more for every $100 cost of bikes imported from 70 countries including China. So $1000 bike made in China would cost $1050 now if I understand it correctly. If a bike imported from other countries, the price is not changing, if a bike made in Canada price should be 8% less than on imported one.

cyberbully
    this just in: everything to cost more.

purchasing power (per dollar) is less than it was in the 70's. back then you needed one job in the fam to keep up with mortgage payments and keep two cars in the garage...it slowly started changing after trudeau sold us down the river when he nixed the central bank's powers in favor of private banks...you can always brag about how rich the baking and resource extraction sectors are, which makes us all great !

I hope trudeau's idiot son doesn't become liberal leader or even worse, PM. my god is that boy an idiot, even with the media trying so hard to paint him as their darling its pretty evident.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

I dd what you see there.
    Politics is frowned upon on here.

However, blame Trudeau all you want, but if it wasn't him 'selling us down the river,' it would have been the other guy. Politicians (regardless of their party - Conservatives or Liberals, Commies or Facists - it don't matter) haven't been there to represent their constituents in a long time. They're slaves to the almighty dollar and as such they're only there to represent their corporate lobbyist/interests - yes even here in Canada.

Nevermind the federal budget, this Metrolynx fiasco is scaring the pants off me. I live 5kms from work and in the summer often ride my bike there... I'm already taxed to death, do why should my taxes increase to help the suckers that get stuck in gridlock everday?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Politics is frowned upon on here.

However, blame Trudeau all you want, but if it wasn't him 'selling us down the river,' it would have been the other guy. Politicians (regardless of their party - Conservatives or Liberals, Commies or Facists - it don't matter) haven't been there to represent their constituents in a long time. They're slaves to the almighty dollar and as such they're only there to represent their corporate lobbyist/interests - yes even here in Canada.

Nevermind the federal budget, this Metrolynx fiasco is scaring the pants off me. I live 5kms from work and in the summer often ride my bike there... I'm already taxed to death, do why should my taxes increase to help the suckers that get stuck in gridlock everday?

because it keeps more cars off the road and helps everyone get around more efficiently and people are less stressed and can get to work and it benefits the economy and mental health and society as a whole. So everyone has to pay for infrastructure; the little guy, businesses of all sizes cause it benefits everyone. But no one wants to pay. Nothing to do with the post however. Some of these tariffs, taxes and so on are responses to bigger trade issues or could be a tax grab. Who knows.

cyberbully
    ...so where are the bike paths in this new and improved transportation corridor?

P3's are a neat way to give corporations a start using the public funding on not very profitable (but sometimes necessary) ventures. a commuting tax could do just about the same. a healthy lifestyle tax credit would be nice and may do even more.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

I dd what you see there.
    Depends on your perspective as it is a chicken and egg scenario. I don't think that a great majority of the people that commute to Toronto everyday do it because they chose to do so. They do it because they have to - because there are no decent well paying jobs left in their city of residence. In my opinion repairing the gridlock problem, is only dealing with a sypmtom and ignoring the disease. If you fixed the bigger LACK OF JOBS problem - through the trickle down effect, the commuter gridlock would work itself out.

In my case I live in Hamilton. Many moons ago Hamilton was a hub of manufacturing and construction where probably more than 80% of Hamiltonians worked right here in town. I'd wager it's the opposite now. The large majority of people that "live" in Hamilton don't work here because all of the good jobs that were in Hamilton have been sold off (or down the river as SkidVicious said). or due to a lack of economic growth, the only thing being "built" in Hamilton is 'bedroom communities' and nothing to provide jobs for the people. Now the only decent well paying jobs in Hamilton are either jobs at MAC that require 15 years of University or working in the Public sector, which is so corrupt it's almost impossible to get into without knowing someone on the inside.

I dd what you see there.
    anyways back to the topic. I agree with Slash. When I imported my wheelset last year, I looked into the CBSA webiste that stated duty on wheels and complete bikes was supposed to be 13%. Perhaps we're already being gauged in Ontario?

and of course I bought new golf clubs back in February that are now subject to the reduced tariffs.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    . Now the only decent well paying jobs in Hamilton are either jobs at MAC that require 15 years of University or working in the Public sector, which is so corrupt it's almost impossible to get into without knowing someone on the inside.
    Ah, sounds exactly like Kingston minus the excellent trails.

QUOTE]

Perhaps we're already being gauged in Ontario?

No. We Canadians are gauged.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 04-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

GAME ON!
    gouged?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Evil Jr.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think I've read somewhere that the 13% applies only when you import whole bikes but not on bike parts. Bike parts seem to be treated like automotive parts and may not have tariffs. However, you may still be slapped with HST if you're in an HST participating province.