Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,166

    Bike show this weekend

    Haven't been to the show in 20 years. I gather there is a heck of a lineup and big crowds so probably not going this time either.

    Toronto International Bicycle Show - BicycleShowToronto.com

  2. #2
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,048
    If I was in town this weekend rather go to Joyride then that place.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sweetfilly7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    210
    I have only ever gone on the Friday night, which isn't going to happen this year. Is the Saturday crazy?
    I love riding my bike!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,714
    You can buy tickets online this year .
    Eliminates standing in a long line in the freezing cold .

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    374
    Just stay outa my way and you won't get pushed over.
    GTA
    Ontario

  6. #6
    pin it
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,052
    We're going... picking up our blue season pass tickets (as usual). And checking the bargain bins for Racing Ralphs and bib shorts
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  7. #7
    Nice day for a ride.....
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,558
    No show for me this year. I'm riding instead.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

  8. #8
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    If I was in town this weekend rather go to Joyride then that place.
    Heading down to set up my booth for noon.

    Joyride is Sunday.

    Livin' the dream!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    143
    I'm going to check it out this afternoon I think. Never expect much in the way of deals, but hoping to find a pair of shorts and I like going to the club booths.
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

  10. #10
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Reputation: Pucker Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Heading down to set up my booth for noon.

    Joyride is Sunday.

    Livin' the dream!
    What booth is that?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    191
    Just back and thought I'd update ... lots of clothes, shoes and old helmets on sale, plus all the bikes stacked on racks... it seemed to be mostly road bikes, more so than last year. I don't think there were as many vendors as has been in the past (at least 2 were missing that I usually see). I left with a chain and set of tires and what I saved I easily spent in parking and admission, never mind my time in traffic and gas... but I did get to wander around a bunch of bikes for a couple hours.

    One thing I did manage to get were some Waltz caps, I've seen them, read about them, hell, even made a custom order that I never filled but now I own 2! $30ea, ended up buying 3 and saved $10

    As for Fat Bikes as that is the current trend it seems... I think I saw all told maybe 5 or 6 in total, one vendor has a bunch and then one here and there - that Surly Moondust sure looks sweet!!

    The trip was worth it for the Caps, but otherwise I could have stayed home, ridden the rollers and watched the final episode of The Matrix and not gotten a headache from the traffic.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Just back and thought I'd update ... lots of clothes, shoes and old helmets on sale, plus all the bikes stacked on racks... it seemed to be mostly road bikes, more so than last year. I don't think there were as many vendors as has been in the past (at least 2 were missing that I usually see). I left with a chain and set of tires and what I saved I easily spent in parking and admission, never mind my time in traffic and gas... but I did get to wander around a bunch of bikes for a couple hours.

    One thing I did manage to get were some Waltz caps, I've seen them, read about them, hell, even made a custom order that I never filled but now I own 2! $30ea, ended up buying 3 and saved $10

    As for Fat Bikes as that is the current trend it seems... I think I saw all told maybe 5 or 6 in total, one vendor has a bunch and then one here and there - that Surly Moondust sure looks sweet!!

    The trip was worth it for the Caps, but otherwise I could have stayed home, ridden the rollers and watched the final episode of The Matrix and not gotten a headache from the traffic.
    Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll check out Sexapalooza instead this weekend.
    "By Your Command"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maynard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    269
    agree with OSTEO. freezing cold and only had to wait for 3 people in front of us for tickets. The trek booth had some great deals on 2011-2013 used/demo models. 10 fat bikes, khs, carbon salsa, surleys and some unknow brand with carbon forks, one specialized. all regular price or mark up to discount for the show.

    first row booth far left, 50 % off camelbacks, beats CRC or jenson, some older (2 - 3) year old models, if thats your thing.

    best bikes would have been 2014 SC Bronson with enve kit, epic sworks and the new felt TLC )?) FS bike. basically MSRP though, but nice to look at.

    14 bucks for parking, 24 bucks for two adult. gave the kid a 50 and she needed her phone to do the math

    bring a coat
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll check out Sexapalooza instead this weekend.
    haha!!! that is what the wife said!!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

  15. #15
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    What booth is that?
    I'm on the Hamilton Cycling Committee. We hand out awesome free maps of the Hamilton Region. We're right beside the Niagara Region booth.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  16. #16
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Reputation: Pucker Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I'm on the Hamilton Cycling Committee. We hand out awesome free maps of the Hamilton Region. We're right beside the Niagara Region booth.
    Might just have to swing by and get me one of those maps!

  17. #17
    Involuntary Memory
    Reputation: Tom Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I'm on the Hamilton Cycling Committee. We hand out awesome free maps of the Hamilton Region. We're right beside the Niagara Region booth.
    Good work Garage Monster. Where are the MTBing locations in Hamilton you hand out maps to and is there a cost to use those trails? Thanks.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    143
    Aside from the ridiculous parking charge, I had a good time. As I was getting out of the car grumbling about the $14, I found a $5 at my feet! Sweet! Found some camera gear on my way in and turned it in to the lost and found to up my karma. Inside I got a nice pair of bibs for $40. I was glad I got there at 4 as it was getting pretty busy.
    Nobody at the TORBA booth but spoke with some nice people at the Niagara Region booth and the Hamilton booth. Managed to avoid buying t-shirts which is my usual weakness. Osteo, I was looking at those caps too, very nice. My head is huge though.
    One thing that stood out was how fit 90% of the people were compared to the general population. Not sure why I've never noticed before but it really stood out.
    All in all a Good night out.
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    374
    I parked in the lot beside BMO field. (the one right beside the packed one that you had to pay for). The lot was empty so I guess nobody else saw the signs that it was free. LOL Took this pic when I got there. That's my silver honda all alone. The lot right beside this where you had to pay was full.

    Bikes were flying off the racks at some places. I bought a cx Ridley, gloves and a ton of tubes. Nothing really stood out as far as deals went that might still be there tomorrow but there's some pretty interesting concepts at some booths.

    Last edited by chuckeieio; 03-01-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    GTA
    Ontario

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    191
    Just got an email from the DMBA, one of the vendors I usually pop into seems to instead of going to the show are having a sale for yesterday and today instead of paying the fee for a booth at the show. Ranges from at least 25% off (or more) on 2013 bikes, and various sale prices on other items, may have to pop in there later today after work! (Northern Cycle) and no, I am not affiliated with the store, just sharing the news.

    With that being said above, I know a bunch of stores offer 'show' prices this week knowing people tend to wait till the show to purchase items, although I think they usually reserve those 'show' prices on bikes, not necessarily accessories/parts
    Last edited by osteo; 03-01-2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added more info
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

  21. #21
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Shaw View Post
    Good work Garage Monster. Where are the MTBing locations in Hamilton you hand out maps to and is there a cost to use those trails? Thanks.
    Ah, no, the maps are just on-street suggested routes (there is incredible road biking in Hamilton). Oh - and it includes all the rail trails, but does not (yet!) include any singletrack. I should note that at this time, the only "official" (there's lots that isn't official) singletrack in the Hamilton area is at Christie Conservation Area. There, it costs $9 to get in, or the season's pass (car entry) is $105 and season's bike/walk entry is (I think) $35.

  22. #22
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Heading down to set up my booth for noon.

    Joyride is Sunday.

    Livin' the dream!
    LOL

    Funny thing is a bunch of my old ski race team mates...WMSC where talking about the Vancouver Ski Show and how much work we put into it through volunteer hours. For some of us that was both as ski racers and then as Weasel Workers. For a lot of us it is almost 15-20 years at the show. And it starts to lose it's allure after all that time on super hard concrete floors and such.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    And it starts to lose it's allure after all that time on super hard concrete floors and such.

    I wonder if the guys setting up for Sexapalooza feels the same way?

    So with the feed back so far, there are no super deals to be had this year? Or that the vendors with the super deals no showed this year?

    Isn't Sunday the day with the best deals?
    "By Your Command"

  24. #24
    Involuntary Memory
    Reputation: Tom Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Ah, no, the maps are just on-street suggested routes (there is incredible road biking in Hamilton). Oh - and it includes all the rail trails, but does not (yet!) include any singletrack. I should note that at this time, the only "official" (there's lots that isn't official) singletrack in the Hamilton area is at Christie Conservation Area. There, it costs $9 to get in, or the season's pass (car entry) is $105 and season's bike/walk entry is (I think) $35.
    Thanks for your reply Nerdgirl. I look forward to riding your hard work someday and $9 sounds like a great deal. Cheers for your efforts.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    74
    Thought about going today, but rode Waterdown trails instead. (in the valley even)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM
  2. Handbult bike show was tiny last weekend
    By Jaybo in forum Oregon
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  3. Any News From The Salsa Show This Weekend
    By Ranger Pride in forum Salsa
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
  4. Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show- this weekend!
    By Winter Bicycles in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
  5. OT: Luke Air Show this weekend
    By Desert_Rat in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •