• Porcupine ridge

6 12.77%
  • Durham

18 38.30%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

Best trail in ontario

lets vote for ontarios best
    Last edited by Artin Aga; 11-11-2007 at 07:50 AM.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

New question here.

What about the rest of the Trials in Ontario...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

banned
    I wanted to test and put a poll up so i just threw this together

bi-winning
    I've ridden or raced a fair number of trail systems in southern ontario, but out of the above, i have only ridden at Kelso, and it was not my favourite trail - although i definitely did enjoy it.

I did not vote in the poll.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I've ridden or raced a fair number of trail systems in southern ontario, but out of the above, i have only ridden at Kelso, and it was not my favourite trail - although i definitely did enjoy it.

I did not vote in the poll.

Ok forget the vote tell me what is your favorite trail in ontario ?

bi-winning
    Ok, i can do that. My favourite trails are found at Hardwood Hills. I don't get to ride there too often, but whenever i do, i have an absolutely awesome time.
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-11-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    Albion hills is probably my favorite. Fast, non-technical, hard packed. Suits my racing style. Mansfield is a close second.

Monkey
    Haven't tried many trails in Ontario, but of all the trails I've ridden on the East Coast, Kanata Lake is one of my favorite. Technical yet flowy, with fun tech features here and there, I love it! Only thing missing is long and fast downhills.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Hardwood Hills. I get to ride there about 12-15 times per year, and there is enough variety to make any XC rider happy.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Cycle Solutions
    Elliot Lake is awesome. Liked Calabogie when we did it. I havent had the chance to get out the the Fortune area but I'd like to some day. I voted for Durham though cause I ride there all the time and it is fun. I'd like Buckwallow better if there was elevation changes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Depends ...

On my mood. My favorite trail changes year to year, month to month, day to day depending on what kind of head space I'm in. That's the great thing about this sport. I've ridden all over the world, Ontario, BC, Moab, Vegas (Bootleg Canyon, Red Rocks), New Zealand, Scotland (Seven Stanes), England, and I can tell you that Ontario's got a bit of everything just not in the quantities of some of these other places. So given the varied terrain and what type of riding your in to at a particular time, a better way to ask this question would be breaking it down to something like (from an XC point of view sans riding the Ottawa area):

1. Best classic singletrack - Albion, Durham/Glen Major, Ganaraska, Hardwood, (Dagmar if it returns)
    2. Best epic (all-day rides covering the most terrain) - Ganaraska, Oak Ridges Trail (yeah, yeah I know), Haliburton Forest
    3. Best climbing overall (w/o doing the same hill over and over) - Durham/Glen Major
    5. Best single climb - Kelso
    6. Best descending overall - Blue
    7. Best single descent - Blue
    8. Best race course (XC) - Albion, Elliot lake
    9. Best put a grin on your face - Porcupine Ridge
    10. Best man-made obstacles - Porcupine Ridge, Greenwood, The Don
    11. Best maintained - Buckwallow, The Don
    12. Best technical skills test - Porcupine Ridge, Buckwallow, Elliot
    13. Best answer to BC - Porcupine Ridge, Elliot
    14. Best pre/post ride food/gathering - Fast Eddies - Coppins Corners (Durham/GlenMajor)
    15. etc

Nice day for a ride.....
    hmmm, Fanshawe Lake, Waterloo Hyrdocut, Kelso, Hardwood Hills, Turkey Point..... its pretty tough to name a "best" but they all certainly have their ups and downs.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

banned
    Show some pics guys lets see whats out there ??

mtbr member
    Turkey Point among the likes of Hardwood Hills and the Hydrocut. Are you serious?

mtbr member
    It's a bit hard for me to decide on my favorite trail as I mostly ride the local stuff that's close by. Hilton Falls and Kelso is what I ride most of the time and I love those two places, I don't have to drive far to get to it and I never get bored riding there. I do plan on exploring other trail systems like Blue Mt, Kolapore,Porcupine Ridge, Buckwallow etc.
    I've been to Albion Hills few times and it was ok, but just not very technical. Ravenshoe is a good trail too but a bit of a drive for me so I only do it once in a while.

mtbr member
    I'll put another vote in for Kanata Lakes. The trails here are so much more fun compared to the typical southern Ontario stuff.

I haven't been to central and northern Ontario, but would like to at some point.

mtbr member
    My favourite trail happens to be the one just down the street, Simics and the rest of the trails at LU in Sudbury. Honourable mentions to Buckwallow, Hydrocut, Albion, Three Stage and Hardwood HIlls

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Turkey Point among the likes of Hardwood Hills and the Hydrocut. Are you serious?
    Well it is my backyard, I'm riding it much more often than the other trails, so yes it is one of my favourites.
    Have you even ridden ALL of the TP trails? when was the last time you were there?
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Fair enough. I think I have rode all the trails there. I was there last month for a weekend (I camp there twice a year for the last 6-7 years). Just found it an odd choice given the trails you'd find somewhere like 3-stage, or Buckwallow for example.

Wish I knew the names but I have ridden the 3 provincial park trails, as well as the network of trails through the pines just off of Fin & Feather, the trails off of Rainbow Ridge, as well as the trails across the road from the eroded dunes on Look Out Bluff. If there is any I have missed I'd love to check them out cause I get bored of the ones I do know about after riding there so many times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Don Valley in the City

I vote for the DON

Free , lots of parkling , friendly ppl , trail , stunts , dj , roots , rocks , water , you name it , you got them in there , did I mention it was free

Cycle Solutions
    Yeah the DON is sweet. I've only ridden there once but it was fun. They should totally have a world cup race there, think of how many spectators you'd get compared to in the middle of nowhere Quebec (Felicien)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bruce Trail hands down kills everything else in the provence.

Mansfield Dufferin Forest if you know where you are going.

Glen Haffy.

mtbr member

Bruce????

Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part. If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share. Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Bruce Trail hands down kills everything else in the provence.

Mansfield Dufferin Forest if you know where you are going.

Glen Haffy.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part.
    Thats cause you suck

If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share.
    Telling you would be too easy, beside most of it's posted as no mtb so no more riders are needed.

Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.
    Let me quess you only race the crappy xc races and live in T.O.?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part. If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share. Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.
    I think that is a little harsh. There i lots of sections of the bruce trail that i have found to be enjoyable. It is so long! Since it follows the escarpment, there are tons of great lookouts along the way, and often many fun, relatively long descents. There are many trail systems that the bruce trail goes through.

As for specific sections, if you start from the trailhead at queenston heights, and follow it from there, you will find a few km of nice trails. Continuing along, there is also some fun trail in fireman's park. Furthermore, in St. Catharines, and in the shorthills area, a lot of the trail network makes some use of the bruce trail. Oh, and i enjoy some of it in the hamilton area as well. I could go on...

there are lots of technical challenges on the bruce that you don't find at places like Albion. I'm not saying that the Bruce is the best for MTB compared to many of the places being listed, but i have had many hours of fun on the bruce. I have always had it near by, so naturally, i ride it quite a bit.

here are some pictures, all from the bruce.

By rkj__ at 2007-10-31

By rkj__ at 2007-07-02

By rkj__ at 2007-04-25

By rkj__ at 2007-04-25

By rkj__, shot with FinePix A120 at 2006-11-05

By rkj__

By rkj__, shot with FinePix A120 at 2006-09-17

By rkj__
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-12-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast