View Poll Results: Best Trail in ontario

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buck wallow

    10 21.28%
  • Kelso

    6 12.77%
  • don

    7 14.89%
  • Porcupine ridge

    6 12.77%
  • Durham

    18 38.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: Artin Aga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    584

    Best trail in ontario

    lets vote for ontarios best
    Last edited by Artin Aga; 11-11-2007 at 07:50 AM.

  2. #2
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    854

    New question here.

    What about the rest of the Trials in Ontario...

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Artin Aga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    584
    I wanted to test and put a poll up so i just threw this together

  4. #4
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    I've ridden or raced a fair number of trail systems in southern ontario, but out of the above, i have only ridden at Kelso, and it was not my favourite trail - although i definitely did enjoy it.

    I did not vote in the poll.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: Artin Aga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I've ridden or raced a fair number of trail systems in southern ontario, but out of the above, i have only ridden at Kelso, and it was not my favourite trail - although i definitely did enjoy it.

    I did not vote in the poll.

    Ok forget the vote tell me what is your favorite trail in ontario ?

  6. #6
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Ok, i can do that. My favourite trails are found at Hardwood Hills. I don't get to ride there too often, but whenever i do, i have an absolutely awesome time.
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-11-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  7. #7
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    Albion hills is probably my favorite. Fast, non-technical, hard packed. Suits my racing style. Mansfield is a close second.

  8. #8
    Monkey
    Reputation: Jozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    209
    Haven't tried many trails in Ontario, but of all the trails I've ridden on the East Coast, Kanata Lake is one of my favorite. Technical yet flowy, with fun tech features here and there, I love it! Only thing missing is long and fast downhills.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,195
    Another vote for Hardwood Hills. I get to ride there about 12-15 times per year, and there is enough variety to make any XC rider happy.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Elliot Lake is awesome. Liked Calabogie when we did it. I havent had the chance to get out the the Fortune area but I'd like to some day. I voted for Durham though cause I ride there all the time and it is fun. I'd like Buckwallow better if there was elevation changes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48

    Depends ...

    On my mood. My favorite trail changes year to year, month to month, day to day depending on what kind of head space I'm in. That's the great thing about this sport. I've ridden all over the world, Ontario, BC, Moab, Vegas (Bootleg Canyon, Red Rocks), New Zealand, Scotland (Seven Stanes), England, and I can tell you that Ontario's got a bit of everything just not in the quantities of some of these other places. So given the varied terrain and what type of riding your in to at a particular time, a better way to ask this question would be breaking it down to something like (from an XC point of view sans riding the Ottawa area):

    1. Best classic singletrack - Albion, Durham/Glen Major, Ganaraska, Hardwood, (Dagmar if it returns)
    2. Best epic (all-day rides covering the most terrain) - Ganaraska, Oak Ridges Trail (yeah, yeah I know), Haliburton Forest
    3. Best climbing overall (w/o doing the same hill over and over) - Durham/Glen Major
    5. Best single climb - Kelso
    6. Best descending overall - Blue
    7. Best single descent - Blue
    8. Best race course (XC) - Albion, Elliot lake
    9. Best put a grin on your face - Porcupine Ridge
    10. Best man-made obstacles - Porcupine Ridge, Greenwood, The Don
    11. Best maintained - Buckwallow, The Don
    12. Best technical skills test - Porcupine Ridge, Buckwallow, Elliot
    13. Best answer to BC - Porcupine Ridge, Elliot
    14. Best pre/post ride food/gathering - Fast Eddies - Coppins Corners (Durham/GlenMajor)
    15. etc

  12. #12
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    hmmm, Fanshawe Lake, Waterloo Hyrdocut, Kelso, Hardwood Hills, Turkey Point..... its pretty tough to name a "best" but they all certainly have their ups and downs.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: Artin Aga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    584
    Show some pics guys lets see whats out there ??

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,033
    Turkey Point among the likes of Hardwood Hills and the Hydrocut. Are you serious?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wolfchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    142
    It's a bit hard for me to decide on my favorite trail as I mostly ride the local stuff that's close by. Hilton Falls and Kelso is what I ride most of the time and I love those two places, I don't have to drive far to get to it and I never get bored riding there. I do plan on exploring other trail systems like Blue Mt, Kolapore,Porcupine Ridge, Buckwallow etc.
    I've been to Albion Hills few times and it was ok, but just not very technical. Ravenshoe is a good trail too but a bit of a drive for me so I only do it once in a while.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Overkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    388
    I'll put another vote in for Kanata Lakes. The trails here are so much more fun compared to the typical southern Ontario stuff.

    I haven't been to central and northern Ontario, but would like to at some point.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocks'r'friends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    566
    My favourite trail happens to be the one just down the street, Simics and the rest of the trails at LU in Sudbury. Honourable mentions to Buckwallow, Hydrocut, Albion, Three Stage and Hardwood HIlls

  18. #18
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Turkey Point among the likes of Hardwood Hills and the Hydrocut. Are you serious?
    Well it is my backyard, I'm riding it much more often than the other trails, so yes it is one of my favourites.
    Have you even ridden ALL of the TP trails? when was the last time you were there?
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,033
    Fair enough. I think I have rode all the trails there. I was there last month for a weekend (I camp there twice a year for the last 6-7 years). Just found it an odd choice given the trails you'd find somewhere like 3-stage, or Buckwallow for example.

    Wish I knew the names but I have ridden the 3 provincial park trails, as well as the network of trails through the pines just off of Fin & Feather, the trails off of Rainbow Ridge, as well as the trails across the road from the eroded dunes on Look Out Bluff. If there is any I have missed I'd love to check them out cause I get bored of the ones I do know about after riding there so many times.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    127

    Don Valley in the City

    I vote for the DON

    Free , lots of parkling , friendly ppl , trail , stunts , dj , roots , rocks , water , you name it , you got them in there , did I mention it was free

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Benno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Yeah the DON is sweet. I've only ridden there once but it was fun. They should totally have a world cup race there, think of how many spectators you'd get compared to in the middle of nowhere Quebec (Felicien)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Bruce Trail hands down kills everything else in the provence.

    Mansfield Dufferin Forest if you know where you are going.

    Glen Haffy.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Bruce????

    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part. If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share. Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.


    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Bruce Trail hands down kills everything else in the provence.

    Mansfield Dufferin Forest if you know where you are going.

    Glen Haffy.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part.
    Thats cause you suck

    If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share.
    Telling you would be too easy, beside most of it's posted as no mtb so no more riders are needed.

    Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.
    Let me quess you only race the crappy xc races and live in T.O.?

  25. #25
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part. If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share. Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.
    I think that is a little harsh. There i lots of sections of the bruce trail that i have found to be enjoyable. It is so long! Since it follows the escarpment, there are tons of great lookouts along the way, and often many fun, relatively long descents. There are many trail systems that the bruce trail goes through.

    As for specific sections, if you start from the trailhead at queenston heights, and follow it from there, you will find a few km of nice trails. Continuing along, there is also some fun trail in fireman's park. Furthermore, in St. Catharines, and in the shorthills area, a lot of the trail network makes some use of the bruce trail. Oh, and i enjoy some of it in the hamilton area as well. I could go on...

    there are lots of technical challenges on the bruce that you don't find at places like Albion. I'm not saying that the Bruce is the best for MTB compared to many of the places being listed, but i have had many hours of fun on the bruce. I have always had it near by, so naturally, i ride it quite a bit.

    here are some pictures, all from the bruce.


    By rkj__ at 2007-10-31


    By rkj__ at 2007-07-02


    By rkj__ at 2007-04-25


    By rkj__ at 2007-04-25


    By rkj__, shot with FinePix A120 at 2006-11-05



    By rkj__


    By rkj__, shot with FinePix A120 at 2006-09-17


    By rkj__
    Last edited by rkj__; 11-12-2007 at 07:41 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  26. #26
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Fair enough. I think I have rode all the trails there. I was there last month for a weekend (I camp there twice a year for the last 6-7 years). Just found it an odd choice given the trails you'd find somewhere like 3-stage, or Buckwallow for example.

    Wish I knew the names but I have ridden the 3 provincial park trails, as well as the network of trails through the pines just off of Fin & Feather, the trails off of Rainbow Ridge, as well as the trails across the road from the eroded dunes on Look Out Bluff. If there is any I have missed I'd love to check them out cause I get bored of the ones I do know about after riding there so many times.
    There are always new trails popping up here and there. Right now you can do a 23 ish KM ride if you do ALL the trails (it includes a little road hop to connect 2 side of spooky hollow), but a 17-18km ride without the road sections is doable. I just consider it one of "my" best trails because its so close. Don't get me wrong though, HH, Albion, and the Hydrocut (and many others) are amazing trails that I would love to ride all the time, but they are quite the drive for me whereas TP is only 5 min away.
    Next time your camping down there we should go for a spin.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

  27. #27
    sru
    sru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    293
    +3 for The Bruce Trail.

    In my neck of the woods, there is some fantastic riding on some of the off-shoot trails. I'm not a huge fan of Albion because of its lack of technical terrain.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Your right, I guess I suck...

    Well, I won't take the bate on your reply posting this type of garbage. I like many others here ride a variety of terrain that encompass both flow, continual riding, fitness, and technical stuff. And yes, I do many xc races inclusive of 24 hours events. No I don't live in Toronto and that doesn't really have much relevance.

    Being you are 30 years old, I am surprised you aren't more mature than to post something like this. I guess I did take the bate .

    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Thats cause you suck



    Telling you would be too easy, beside most of it's posted as no mtb so no more riders are needed.



    Let me quess you only race the crappy xc races and live in T.O.?
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bermluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    I'll put another vote in for Kanata Lakes. The trails here are so much more fun compared to the typical southern Ontario stuff.

    I haven't been to central and northern Ontario, but would like to at some point.
    I have been wanting to try Kanata lakes ever since I heard about it from someone who lived in that area. Seems like a great place to ride. Wish I lived even remotely close by :P
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124
    A lot of the trails mentioned in this thread are very good (including sections of the Bruce), but here's my list ...

    Best XC: Kitchener Hydrocut.
    Best DH: Blue Mountain
    Best overall trail: Buckwallow.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Well, I won't take the bate on your reply posting this type of garbage. I like many others here ride a variety of terrain that encompass both flow, continual riding, fitness, and technical stuff. And yes, I do many xc races inclusive of 24 hours events. No I don't live in Toronto and that doesn't really have much relevance.

    Being you are 30 years old, I am surprised you aren't more mature than to post something like this. I guess I did take the bate .

    OOOHHHHH wow you do 24hr races, can I touch you? Thats so hard core.

    Hey man you called THE best riding in the whole provence a pile of unrideable rock. I can only assume you have the technical riding ability of a circus monkey only trained to go round and round on smooth circles.

    Now if this poll was about best smooth boring race course in Ontario Hardwood Hills or Albion might have a shot at it. Unless Buckwallow somehow exploded a nuclear bomb and gained some elevation then it could be better. But this is mountain biking so the trail had better have some elevation gain, some technical and some downhill. In central Ontario where 95% of the riding population is this leaves your something on the Niagra Escarpment. Thats the Bruce.

    There are only a limited number of spots that I didn't ride in Ontario before leaving for greener pastures, and if you want to ride anything that resembles a real mountain and real mountainbike trails you should be riding the Bruce. If spots like North Bay and Parry Sound had a larger riding population there could be some wicked awsome trails, just not enough people to built then and ride them.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590
    You asked if I race XC, so I said yes. That's primarily what I participate in. Simply answering the question. We're all entitled to our opinions here and what defines "the best" trails. For you, clearly if you can't ride through rocks you don't know what you're doing. That's cool...Whatever you like is your business. You're clearly not the norm. And as you continue to post here, it's obvious who the real yard ape is...

    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    OOOHHHHH wow you do 24hr races, can I touch you? Thats so hard core.

    Hey man you called THE best riding in the whole provence a pile of unrideable rock. I can only assume you have the technical riding ability of a circus monkey only trained to go round and round on smooth circles.

    Now if this poll was about best smooth boring race course in Ontario Hardwood Hills or Albion might have a shot at it. Unless Buckwallow somehow exploded a nuclear bomb and gained some elevation then it could be better. But this is mountain biking so the trail had better have some elevation gain, some technical and some downhill. In central Ontario where 95% of the riding population is this leaves your something on the Niagra Escarpment. Thats the Bruce.

    There are only a limited number of spots that I didn't ride in Ontario before leaving for greener pastures, and if you want to ride anything that resembles a real mountain and real mountainbike trails you should be riding the Bruce. If spots like North Bay and Parry Sound had a larger riding population there could be some wicked awsome trails, just not enough people to built then and ride them.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  33. #33
    livin' large
    Reputation: canadian-clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Bruce Trail? Common...Most of the Bruce is unrideable, a rock pile, not suitable for MTB riding for the most part. If you know if some sections that are worth riding compared to the ones in the poll or Albion, Buckwallow, Hydrocut, and Hardwood Hills, then please share. Otherwise, many of us might question whether you've ridden anywhere other than the Bruce. Sorry to be harsh, but the Bruce is weak for riding for the most part.
    I also have to chime in, The bruce is the most fun trail around, and it is sooooo close to home! as far as unridability yes there are some tough spots but to paraphrase what they say in NASA "we don't ride there because it's easy, we do it because it's hard!".

    Mr miester I said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to see the trails drop me a line and I can show you, you really don't know what you're missing

    PS Albion hills is boring
    it tied the room together man!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590
    Hey Tony,

    I shouldn't have generalized like that, but what I have ridden leaves a lot to be desired. I tell you what, let's re-visit this in the spring as the days are numbered since by body doesn't like the cold weather stuff.

    It's all subjective. Albion Hills is boring to you and some others. I like others, like it and many other spots too. As I said, I shouldn't have generalized.

    N.

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    I also have to chime in, The bruce is the most fun trail around, and it is sooooo close to home! as far as unridability yes there are some tough spots but to paraphrase what they say in NASA "we don't ride there because it's easy, we do it because it's hard!".

    Mr miester I said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to see the trails drop me a line and I can show you, you really don't know what you're missing

    PS Albion hills is boring
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  35. #35
    Defiant MTB
    Reputation: genetix.canada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    ...northern Ontario, but would like to at some point.
    Rode Shuniah Mines & Centennial Park in Thunder Bay and I would have to say it is some of the best riding in Ontario.

    The best thing is it's right in the city, so you don't have to drive a long way to find it.

    If you're not from the area, you'll have to have the locals show you around...it is easy to get turned around in there!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocks'r'friends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    566
    North Bay actually has some real good trails, but you definitely have to be willing to work for them. I have only ridden there a few times this year but have definitely enjoyed what they have, long climbs, followed by killer descents. There is a lot more left to experience in the area, but that is what next season is for.

  37. #37
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,140
    Did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning Brian? Must be nice to be a gnarcore soopahstar. Thanks for taking the time to check in with us little folks though. BTW, are you a distant cousin of 'skihillguy'? His overinflated sense of self-worth was similarly tied to his province of residence.

    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    There are only a limited number of spots that I didn't ride in Ontario before leaving for greener pastures

  38. #38
    Calm Like a Bomb
    Reputation: pipes10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    North Bay actually has some real good trails, but you definitely have to be willing to work for them. I have only ridden there a few times this year but have definitely enjoyed what they have, long climbs, followed by killer descents. There is a lot more left to experience in the area, but that is what next season is for.
    driving up the pipeline was much easier
    2016 Wilson
    2015 Carbon Troy
    2016 Farley 5

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocks'r'friends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    driving up the pipeline was much easier
    Haven't been back to North Shore yet, not likely in the cards this year, but as soon as they are ready to ride in the spring I will be there. And I will ride to the top, if I drive I don't get to bomb it back down.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    Haven't been back to North Shore yet, not likely in the cards this year, but as soon as they are ready to ride in the spring I will be there. And I will ride to the top, if I drive I don't get to bomb it back down.
    As painful as the climb up is, the descent down Dave Murray Downhill and La Flume makes it all worth it!

  41. #41
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    The man has got a good point. Many sections of the Bruce Trail is rideable and quite enjoyable, assuming that you have any advanced mountain biking skills. The Caledon Cycling Club used to ride many sections as a weekly ride in days gone by.

    Riding places like Albion Hills, Kelso, Glenn Major, and similar places no longer requires any developed technical skills. Albion Hills, in particular, has been buffed clean and sanitized so much that one can now use cyclocross bikes to race it. The only continuous difficult section I can think of is "Tea Cup", and that is technical because of serious erosion from 24 hour races, and it is still quite short.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590
    Sure, you're right. And as I said I shouldn't have generalized. However, much of what I have ridden is devoid of any flow and would be classified as technical only due to the rocks that are there. And this brings up another point. What is technical to most? You say that these local places are not technical because the trails are smoother. Okay, but just because there are no rocks doesn't mean they're not technical. I would suggest some of the singletrack in these places if ridden at high speed are quite technical. And again, what defines "technical"? I like to think a combination of things inclusive of speed, obstacles (rocks or trees), climbs, roots, off-camber hills, tight corners, and board walks, can all be technical. Just because you don't need 4-6 inches of travel to ride it comfortably or it doesn't have rocks, doesn't make it non technical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    The man has got a good point. Many sections of the Bruce Trail is rideable and quite enjoyable, assuming that you have any advanced mountain biking skills. The Caledon Cycling Club used to ride many sections as a weekly ride in days gone by.

    Riding places like Albion Hills, Kelso, Glenn Major, and similar places no longer requires any developed technical skills. Albion Hills, in particular, has been buffed clean and sanitized so much that one can now use cyclocross bikes to race it. The only continuous difficult section I can think of is "Tea Cup", and that is technical because of serious erosion from 24 hour races, and it is still quite short.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  43. #43
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    And again, what defines "technical"?
    I would classify a section of trail technical if it is something that requires a fair amount of skill to ride. For example, most newbs can ride smooth singletrack. Perhaps slower than an experienced racer, but they can ride it nonetheless. But, if you throw in lots of rocks, roots, and other obstacles, the newb will simply not be able to ride it. Any attempts to do so result in failure, crashes, or sometimes injury.

    I do agree though that lots of tight twisty sections do up the technical factor on a race course, as it does require skill to do those sections with a lot of speed. But, when you simply are not racing and go slow, the trail is not so hard.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    340
    My favourites: Brant Tract, Hydrocut, Hardwood Hills

    I need to make a list from this thread of places ot hit up next season!

  45. #45
    Singlespeed Mysty
    Reputation: 1mystk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    646

    ... and if we just ... I'm too young to vote...

    being that this was my first season... and learning how to ride a bike at the same time at the end of last year... I haven't gone to many places to ride...

    well... ummmmmmmmmmm.... maybe more than I thought...

    Albion Hills - I learned how to ride there... it is my virgin territory - I have come a long way riding there, and beg for more of the trails I haven't ridden... in all due time... there is lots in there for new riders and advanced... plus it is only a 30 mintute drive for me...

    King Trails - well can't say I am a fan... been only a handful of times and don't get all excited to ride there...

    Ravenshoe - I learned alot at Ravenshoe - even though there is not much climbing and such, skills is what I got out of riding there... plus it is only a 20 minute drive for me - good for a few hours of play and not boring... plus the bonus is I can bring the dogs there and it is seldom ever busy trail...I will ride Big Meany dammit!!!

    Durham Forest - by far top on my list... I've been to Walkers Woods too... almost damn near broke my arm there two weeks before the Fall 8 hour... so I suffered in that race as I was still healing from bruised bones... lots of climbing, sand, sweet flowing singletrack... crazy roots, logs and twisty - curvey trails... good variety... 40 minute drive for me...

    Coulson's Hill - been there once... hated it the first time... a friend of mine is trying to convince to me go again... yeah - next year thanks.. 15 minute drive ...

    Hardwood Hills - this could very well be a close second... on 40 minutes north of me... great track for all skills... I love Serious and part of Gnarly... will go there more often next season and try the harder trails...

    3 Stage - been there once and would definately go again... very challenging for me... that is where I cleared my first ever log piles... two in a row I might add (pats herself on back)

    then of course I have been outside Ontario and rode in California & Oz...

    I'd like to see what Buckwallow has to offer, Halton Hills, Ganaraska, Haliburtons, etc...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

    diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

  46. #46
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    And so be it as it is. We have different tastes.

    FYI

    My largest travel bike is a 100mm full suspension Titus RacerX, which I found to be very fun to ride at Buckwallow. From there I go to a 80mm Rocky Mountain Element, and then a Rocky Mountain hardtail with 67mm travel which I ride most often at Albion.

    I prefer the focus, concentration, and challenge of picking good lines, and using good balance and agility from a minimal suspension bike. I prefer the rush of high speed coming from going down a steep and winding country road on a road bike at 80km/hr.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  47. #47
    President, CEO of Earth
    Reputation: TobyNobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,001
    I voted for Buckwallow in the poll. I think it has the most of everything desireable out of all the places I have been.

    But, as someone else said, Shuniah Mines/Centennial Park/Cascades in Thunder bay has just about everything for any type of riding (although I have not been there in years) but doesn't have the polished flowy trails that Buckwallow has.

    Other cool places - Sleeping Giant Provincial park has some technically demanding trails around and over the higfhest cliffs in Ontario as well as big climbs and fast doubletrack; Don valley is pretty good but I always expect to have to bunny hop over a dead body (I guess that's more of a Scarborough Bluffs skill), and Kanata Lakes is tonnes of fun.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,627
    Since no one has said it yet, I'll put my two cents in.

    I vote for Short hills P.P. and all the trails in the area. I grew up riding there, so I hold a little extra place in my heart for them. There is so much trail that can be linked up, if you know where you are going, you can hit 40+ km or 3 hours of hardpacked, rip roaring singletrack glory.

    I spent 4 years riding in Halifax, which is the ultimate 'technical' XC riding, a la porcupine ridge. I enjoyed it, but in my opinion, give me some semi-slicks and let me weave through trees on a slight downhill on hardpacked clay trails at mach 10 and I'm happy.

    I also enjoy Punslinch.....something about getting on that piece of singletrack, twisting and turning for 16km in an area of ~ 1 square km, it just fun......and singletrack through pine forests just makes me giggle.

  49. #49
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Don valley is pretty good but I always expect to have to bunny hop over a dead body
    +1 ..... Not that I would expect to but I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

    The place that always surprises me by how much I enjoy it is Hilton Falls. I don't get there much, I spend far too much time falling and trying to figure out how to ride more than 50 ft at a time ( on some of the trails there, not everywhere ) when I do get there, but I always enjoy it.

    And I've never understood why there doesn't seem to be any good riding around Kingston, although thinking about, there must be some, 'cause I've certainly ridden behind a fair number of good riders from the Kingston area ( what's the shop called, J and J Cycles ? )
    Cheers, Dave

  50. #50
    dirt roadie
    Reputation: zedfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I vote for Short hills P.P. and all the trails in the area. I grew up riding there, so I hold a little extra place in my heart for them. There is so much trail that can be linked up, if you know where you are going, you can hit 40+ km or 3 hours of hardpacked, rip roaring singletrack glory.
    I second that vote...I've ridden Kelso and Dundas Valley once. Never going to Dundas Valley again. Kelso had some great trails but I'm not skilled enough to ride all the features.
    I'm familiar with Short Hills and 12 Mile Creek trails, so I can have fun tearing it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •