Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Santa Cruz dealer near Toronto/GTA

Anyone in Ontario that could recommend a good Santa Cruz dealer near enough to GTA?

The Bikezone and Cycle Solutions are on the dealers list. Does anyone have experience with these stores? Who would you recommend if I was looking to order a $3k-$4K Santa Cruz frame?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Cycle solutions .
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Bike Zone, but SC customer service sucks, broke two rear carbon triangles on my tallboy, one took 4 months to get here and they made me pay for it and it was supposed to be 142 and came 135.
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Wow, how did you break two rear triangles? I was looking to get the carbon version of either the Bronson or the Solo (5010 now), do you think I should be considering the aluminium frames instead?

mtbr member
    I will not ride SC again. Rear cracked by the hanger and bolt on the lower linkage cracked the second time. I didn't ride the bike overly aggressive or anything. Regular Southern Ontario trails. I have not broken a Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo, Turner RFX, numerous carbon, aluminum and steel hardtails.
    Now i ride a SIR 9 853 Reynolds single speed and a Chromag Surface 4130 1 x 10. Couldn't be happier. Don't miss the rear suspension at all.
    For that price though, I would consider the GIANTS 2014 lineup. Personally dont think I would ever own a Giant ( I have standards ) And they have great customer service. I have been witness to a snapped 2007 MCM (?) and the client was given a brand new xtc 29er carbon frame for no charge.

As for SC, I was told it was the first run of carbon frames on the Tallboy but twice in 2 years on a 3000 frame and a 4 month wait for the wrong rear end is not acceptable to me, oh and they made me pay for the second one.

Best of luck, im sure you will like what ever you get.
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    I primarily deal with Bike Zone I've always had a great experience with sales and service with them; but I bought my Carbon Bronson from Duke's because they had it in stock... and I didn't want to wait 4-5 weeks to order it from SC; no idea what Duke's after service is like though?

Their point of sale service was good, but I imagine if you're buying a bike most LBS sales service will be good.

They had a few other Santa Cruz bike's in stock, if it's an order you're getting I'd go with Bike Zone, if you're looking for something "off the rack" check dukes too.

Good luck FWIW the Bronson is a friggin' joy to ride!
    Last edited by Jamesl99; 09-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Know your limits - then Crush Them
    2013 Santa Cruz Carbon Bronson
    2012 Spark 20
    2011 Frame - Intense Uzzi-VP

mtbr member
    There's also a shop in Dundas that is a SC dealer too...
    2012 Spark 20

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    I will not ride SC again. Rear cracked by the hanger and bolt on the lower linkage cracked the second time. I didn't ride the bike overly aggressive or anything. Regular Southern Ontario trails.
    That really sucks... I suppose it's possible to get some crappy welds or bad metal/forging on aluminum frames too, because SC knew that they had a bad batch in the first run of frames they should have replaced the whole thing for you not just the rear triangle.

I've only put my Bronson through Kelso so far spent an hour or so on the drops in the stunt park in the middle of X-treem and a few aggressive runs on broken spokes... she's still in one piece.

I'll see how the frame holds up in the AF and Hilton next weekend...
    2012 Spark 20

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesl99 View Post
    I've only put my Bronson through Kelso so far spent an hour or so on the drops in the stunt park in the middle of X-treem and a few aggressive runs on broken spokes... she's still in one piece.

I'll see how the frame holds up in the AF and Hilton next weekend...
    So how are you liking the Bronson C? Do you ever feel like it's too much travel for Ontario? I guess the better question is how does it climb?

I have been leaning pretty heavily towards getting a Bronson C but a few people on mtbr have been trying to convince me that it's too much travel and that a Solo (or 5010 rather) would be more suitable for me. The Don Valley is my 'back yard' trail and I do at least 15-30km in there a week, and I could imagine the 5010 being fun in there. But the Bronson could be equally as fun. I guess the question is whether or not I will be doing more walking up the harder hills with the Bronson?

I would also be riding Kelso, Hard Wood Hills, etc. If I had a Bronson I would probably hit more of the technical stuff like Hilton Falls, Hydrocut and Blue Mountain. The Bronson would also be a bike to travel with, to places like BC, Colorado, Utah, etc.

mtbr member
    Let me preface this with saying my experience mountain biking is very limited I only started this spring and have 3 high end bikes. I'm the type of guy who jumps feet first into everything I decide to pursue - so take my recommendation with a bit of perspective, I'm also not very limited in terms of disposable income - I see it, I want it, I buy it, I don't feel guilty about it...

Any in short aside from blue mountain it's proabbly too much bike for Ontario, but it handles everything I've thrown at it, it's nimble, corners well, and no problems on 2-3 foot rocky drops. Handles all terrain well with the 2.3 High Rollers on it, probably overkill on the tires for most XC Ontario terrain, and would make it easier to climb with lighter weight the rolling resistance is noticeably high with this set compared to my Spark 20 trail bike (ya I know not a justifiable comparison) and is about 30-40% better than my Intense Uzzi with Maxxis minions DHF.

The VPP suspension is great when climbing (my Uzzi is also a great climber for a 40+lbs bike) there is very little pedal bob when climbing when seated the dropper helps quite a bit too, when standing during the last leg of a climb throwing my weight into it to get my fat ass up the hill also very little pedal bob.

The geometry is comfortable for me I'm 5'10" -5'11" and ride a medium, it's well designed bike, no problem whipping it around and stable on steeper grades.

I have the SPXAM (XT) Build, tubeless, XT M785 2X10 (std is M780 xX10), I changed the stock Al. Havoc Bar, to an ENVE. Fox Float 34 150mm FIT CTD Kash, Fox Float CTD with adjust boost valve Factory. This weigh's in at 29lbs 10ozs.
    Not even close to what the website says....

In short if you have $7.5K (incl tax) to blow on a toy go for it, it's a really really really really nice to have bike but not necessary for the Don or Kelso. Nice to have for AF, Hilton Falls.

If your going to travel go for it... or buy my Uzzi I have a feeling it will be getting a bit dusty thanks to the Bronson, it's my new Swiss Army Knife!

Good Luck if you want a closer look at it let me know at 6'1" riding it may be a total pain in the knees for you!
    2012 Spark 20

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by regularbob View Post
    So how are you liking the Bronson C? Do you ever feel like it's too much travel for Ontario? I guess the better question is how does it climb?

I have been leaning pretty heavily towards getting a Bronson C but a few people on mtbr have been trying to convince me that it's too much travel and that a Solo (or 5010 rather) would be more suitable for me. The Don Valley is my 'back yard' trail and I do at least 15-30km in there a week, and I could imagine the 5010 being fun in there. But the Bronson could be equally as fun. I guess the question is whether or not I will be doing more walking up the harder hills with the Bronson?

I would also be riding Kelso, Hard Wood Hills, etc. If I had a Bronson I would probably hit more of the technical stuff like Hilton Falls, Hydrocut and Blue Mountain. The Bronson would also be a bike to travel with, to places like BC, Colorado, Utah, etc.
    Work @ Cycle Solutions and ride a LOT of Don trail and my personal opinion that the Bronson is overkill if these are your main trails. I mean, they will probably all be rideable on the bike, but the extra weight and travel will be noticeable, especially on the tight/twisty/steep climbs (which are most climbs in the Don). FWIW my main ride is a Blur XCc with 650 wheels jammed in, and I love it (4" travel/4.3lbs frame).

So, some questions:

Are you willing to sacrifice your everyday experience for your destination experience?

Will the 5010 even detract from the experience of more technical/bigger mountain riding?

What are you riding now and do you feel it limits you, and if yes, how?

Are the southwest road trips something you are already looking to book or something that might be cool to think about doing with the new toy?

In terms of the concerns levelled by Maynard, it seems that they had a crappy experience(s) with their warranty service. This has not been generally indicative of SCs modus operandi for clear cut warranties as far as I have seen, but that is not to say that his story isn't valid or something to consider. I will say though, that working in a busy high-end MTB shop for a long time, I have seen pretty much every brand he mentioned broken in the shop at one time or another (excepting Ibis that we don't sell and Chromag), sometimes through legit warranty and sometimes through user error. Either way it sucks, sucks more if you have to pay for it, but the potential to break a bike is not limited to any single brand.

mtbr member
    Not sure how far north you want to travel, but Kamikaze in Collingwood carries SC as well. Talk to Chris there really good guy and good shop.

Never been to Cycle Solutions, but have heard a lot of great things about them.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    I have had nothing but good experiences with Cycle Solutions at the Beaches and would not hesitate to recommend them. I am on my second season on my carbon Tallboy. I ride in the Agreement Forest and have had a couple of epic rides at Buckwallow and the Torrance barrens doing lots of rocks. Apart from a bent chain ring, no problems at all. The bike rides extremely well, but I question whether I would have been better off on a Blur for Southern Ontario. Since I am really enjoying it, and I don't believe this bike is holding me back in any way, I am not worried about it. I am not pushing the limits, but if I was really serious about speed and climbing, I would think twice about it. As a guy getting on in years, the comfort and plushness of a 29er is a nice trade off for any kind of advantage in speed.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    .... " I see it, I want it, I buy it, I don't feel guilty about it..."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tough problem to have . We can all only wish . LOL
    BTW - The WCC Trail (Hydro Cut) is not technical .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Work @ Cycle Solutions and ride a LOT of Don trail and my personal opinion that the Bronson is overkill if these are your main trails. I mean, they will probably all be rideable on the bike, but the extra weight and travel will be noticeable, especially on the tight/twisty/steep climbs (which are most climbs in the Don). FWIW my main ride is a Blur XCc with 650 wheels jammed in, and I love it (4" travel/4.3lbs frame).

So, some questions:
    Are you willing to sacrifice your everyday experience for your destination experience?
    Will the 5010 even detract from the experience of more technical/bigger mountain riding?
    What are you riding now and do you feel it limits you, and if yes, how?
    Are the southwest road trips something you are already looking to book or something that might be cool to think about doing with the new toy?
    That has definitely been the question for me... do I sacrifice my everyday trail riding for the less frequent more technical/bigger mountain riding? Or do I sacrifice a little on the bigger mountain riding for the better everday experience? I think initially I landed on the idea that I could get the 5010 and if I ended up wanting a longer travel out west or in CO/AZ/UT I could always hire a bike out there. And to be honest these trips are still pipe dreams for now. If I was going to hit any bigger mountain trails within the next season or two it would probably be Blue Mountain or Vermont for me.

I guess my thoughts were... if I built the Bronson C up with lighter wheels and a dual position/travel adjust fork or if I built up the 5010 C a little beefier then I could get very similar riding characteristics between the two bikes. For the wheels I was thinking Stans Arch Ex on DT 240S hubs and was thinking RS Pike and the Cane Creek DB Air CS for the fork/shock options. The plan would be to have a bike that allows for a little more growth in my riding and it would also be a bike that I could use for the occassional technical/bigger mountain riding too.

I compared the specs and weights between the Bronson C and the 5010 C and the main differences I see besides the travel is that the Bronson C (med frame) is 5.3 Lbs and the 5010 C (med frame) is 5.06 Lbs, the Bronson C has slightly longer wheelbase due to the longer chainstays and rear travel, a slightly higher BB height and a slacker head tube angle by 1 degree. The differences actually seemed quite subtle so I then began thinking that if I bought the frame and built the bike up I could get the Bronson C light enough so that the weight wouldn't be an issue. So it would really be down to riding characteristics at the end of the day.

I currently ride an 18" Kona Cinder Cone with a 120mm RS Revelation fork. At 6'1", with a 34" inseam, this bike is defintely too small for me but I have managed to get by with using a setback seatpost and a 100mm stem. The problem is that my weight positioning is all wrong so the harder I pedal on inclines the more the front tends to pull up and this makes the steering wander a bit. I have become a stronger rider over the last two seasons which helps with getting on with the positioning. I find I can ride pretty hard with my Kona now in the Don but I do find myself having to walk the bike up the hill on the steeper switchbacked climbs. Given enough riding time I might get to the point where I can make my way up without walking the bike.

If I were talking limitations with my current bike, I would defintely say the sizing is a big limitation and the lack of travel is also a big limitation. I have been finding myself wanting to ride harder but the hard tail doesn't make me feel confident enough to do so. Especially because of the effect I get with my 120mm fork where the bumps are swallowed up in the front but then I pay for them in the back. With really bumpy rooty/rocky sections or on other bumpier trails I find myself being bucked around by my seat. I have been able to compensate by making myself light and supple when charging over bumps but there is defintely a point at higher speeds where it feels a bit too sketchy for my liking. I also feel a bit sketchy when doing the smaller jumps or taking the smaller drops in the Don but that might be more do do with technique.

I think if I was comparing the climbing capability of my current bike to the Bronson C and the 5010 C, I think both would end up being better for climbing, provided I get the right size this time (was thinking the XL in either bike) and if I have a dropper seatpost. The 5010 has a shorter wheelbase and is lower to the ground so it would probably corner like my current bike and also be more manovreable than the Bronson C. It sounds like the 5010 would a more efficient climber too so it would probably be better at handling those steeper switchbacked climbs in the Don.

I really like the new Pike fork and the Cane Creek DB Air CS. To be honest this is what is driving the decision for me at the moment. If I could get both of these on the 5010 C then I would just go with the 5010 C. The problem with the Pike is that it only comes in 150mm and 160mm. Apparently you can change the air spring to get it to 140mm (there's a guy on here named WilliamK who says his LBS was able to do this with his). Not sure how easy this is to do and/or if there are any issues with doing this? Otherwise, since the bikes are so similar, I could just go with the Bronson C with the dual position Pike.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    broke two rear carbon triangles on my tallboy, one took 4 months to get here and they made me pay for it and it was supposed to be 142 and came 135.
    Why would you have to pay for a wrong part?

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've dealt with Cycle Solutions and East Side Cycles in Kitchener both have been great East Side had a lot of frames in stock when I was looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Same here. Purchased a Blur XCc (for sale if interested) from East Sides and a Highball C from Cycle Solutions. Both were great to deal with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Freewheel Cycle in Dundas carries Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    .... " I see it, I want it, I buy it, I don't feel guilty about it..."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tough problem to have . We can all only wish . LOL
    BTW - The WCC Trail (Hydro Cut) is not technical .
    hahaha - that's what happens when you wait till you're 40 to have kids and pay all your sh!t off - now I have a toddler to look after so I can buy toys just never get any time to play with them...don't know what's worse
    2012 Spark 20

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesl99 View Post
    hahaha - that's what happens when you wait till you're 40 to have kids and pay all your sh!t off - now I have a toddler to look after so I can buy toys just never get any time to play with them...don't know what's worse
    I know that feel bro.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I know that feel bro.
    Benefits of being the Stay at Home Dad.

Ride bike...drink a beer...ride bike some more.

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Regularbob, I am in the same situation as yourself. I am currently riding a hardtail and I know if I had a bronson I would be making regular trips up to blue with it. At the same time my local trails are kelso, hilton falls etc. I would love to demo both of these bikes to get a real idea of their differences/similarities. I am by no means a weight weenie, I just enjoy riding trails from the more technical aspect. Going fast is also a priority but how much of a difference would there be between the two!

mtbr member
    I have decided to go with Cycle Solutions in the Beaches. The guys there have been very helpful and have provided a lot of insight with regards to my decision. I think I must have had almost all the guys in the store involved in my decision. I think it was generally unanimous that the Solo (5010) is the most suitable bike for my riding. This is in line with the feedback I was getting when I posted the question in another thread.

Cycle Solutions had a large Solo that I could demo. Unfortunately, I was only able to demo it on the road (totally understandable, they need to be able to sell the bike as new). I took a ride up and down Southwood a few times to get a general feel of the Solo's pedalling capabilities. I was also able to demo a Bronson C and a Norco Sight.

The Solo and the Bronson have a very similar feel. The Bronson obviously sits a little higher due to the longer fork and it feels like a bigger bike with the longer wheelbase. I think they both felt similar on the descent down the road. I think the differences between these bikes when it comes to descending would only be felt on the trail. But when it came to climbing back up the hill, the Solo definitely felt that little bit more capable. It is hard to say for sure without being on the trail but it definitely feels like the Solo would be more 'flickable' or manoeuvrable.

I have decided to not limit my everyday trail riding for the less frequent more technical/bigger mountain riding and therefore have decided to go for the 5010. In talking with the guys in the store it sounds like if I build it up burly, it should be able to handle a lot of the trails at Blue Mountain. So I put a deposit down on a large matte black/green carbon frame and also a 150mm Rockshox Pike which will be changed to run at 140mm. I am currently thinking Stans Arch Ex rims on Hope Evo Pro II hubs, still to decide the other parts.

mtbr member
    Regularbob - what price were you quoted for the 5010 frame and Pike fork?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast