Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Best place to get new wheels

Hey all,

Just wanted peoples opinions or experiences with where the best place to buy wheels are. I certainly dont mind spend a bit extra at a LBS to support them but the ones by my house are never close in price to what I find online.

I have yet to shop for wheels tho, so I don't really know what to expect. Anyone have any tips on where to shop for wheels in person or online?

For online I hear CRC is good

GAME ON!
    if you're looking for pre-built wheels, most shops are going to order them from a catalog so i don't know if one is going to be any better than another. hand built wheels are a whole new ballgame...
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Like a lot of people I'm sure, I dont have a very big budget to spend on wheels. I feel like hand built wheels will be out of my price range.

I'm lookin at Stans or Sun Ringle etc... something of that nature. First wheel upgrade, lookin for better then stock

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    Like a lot of people I'm sure, I dont have a very big budget to spend on wheels. I feel like hand built wheels will be out of my price range.

I'm lookin at Stans or Sun Ringle etc... something of that nature. First wheel upgrade, lookin for better then stock
    When I got my Stans Arch's, I ordered them through my LBS, and they ended up ordering the hubs, rims, tape, spokes etc and building them in-house so you may end up with hand-built rims after all.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i used crc custom build option for my wheels (hope 2, ex823, generic spokes). love em. not too pricy either (i was comparing to pre-built options on crc and the custom build was cheaper)

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    yea I'll go to a LBS and check the retail they want and compare I guess thats the easiest way, just asking for people who have actually purchased wheels the route they took and what they would suggest.

I appreciate both of your responses Unglued and pizon, thanks!

Lemmy Rules!
    yea I'll go to a LBS and check the retail they want and compare I guess thats the easiest way, just asking for people who have actually purchased wheels the route they took and what they would suggest.

I appreciate both of your responses Unglued and pizon, thanks!
    BTW, you can't go wrong with Stan's, especially if you are going to run the wheels tubeless (which I assume you are as it is the whole point of having Stans wheelsets in the first place). They are light and the hubs are reasonably good. A word of warning, though - the Crests are super-light but are a wee bit delicate for us slightly bigger folks (I'm 180). If you are 170ish+, I would recommend the Arch EX's as they are almost as light and a lot stronger.

I also hear good things about the Sun Ringle Black Flag wheel. I understand that they are basically the same wheelset as the Arches.

Either way, you won't regret this upgrade.
    Strava made me do it....

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Those are the exact 2 wheel sets I had in mind. Thanks for the info!

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    BTW, you can't go wrong with Stan's, especially if you are going to run the wheels tubeless (which I assume you are as it is the whole point of having Stans wheelsets in the first place). They are light and the hubs are reasonably good. A word of warning, though - the Crests are super-light but are a wee bit delicate for us slightly bigger folks (I'm 180). If you are 170ish+, I would recommend the Arch EX's as they are almost as light and a lot stronger.

I also hear good things about the Sun Ringle Black Flag wheel. I understand that they are basically the same wheelset as the Arches.

Either way, you won't regret this upgrade.
    haha, not me...I got a set of stans flow ex's laced to hope pro 2's and run them with tubes, even tho I got the valve stem/rim strip for them...i was skeptical on the eyeletless rims but they are staying so true and no cracking by the spokeholes (not skeptical on that anymore) super strong too, did a few runs at blue with them in 2011, true as the day i got em, no retensioning/retrueing yet. maybe i'll finally go tubeless with them this year.

to the OP, as Veteran Youth said in another thread: a nice wheelset is probably the best investment you can make, rotational weight making the biggest noticeable difference for any component upgrade on your bike...you can always order the parts online and get your lbs to build them for you (that way you are loyal to your shop and your savings)...stans has a discount wheels section on their site, and they run sales on some stuff once in a while, in the summer they were blowing out arch hoops for half price. CRC also does demo and display discounted stuff.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

GAME ON!
    these all appear to be better deals in my opinion

crank bros cobalt

easton haven

easton ea70
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    I had a set of Stan's Crest 29" hoops built up to just over 1500g for around $800 shipped by Dave at Speeddream wheels. Awesome experience as he builds them to your riding style, weight, and other preferences. Still as true as they were when I got them a year ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Dorkimus Prime
    [QUOTE=saturnine;10055114]these all appear to be better deals in my opinion

crank bros cobalt

I've heard horror stories about these wheels from Crank Brothers. I think our own Garage Monster may have had a problem with them too!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I think our own Garage Monster may have had a problem with them too!
    Nope, love mine but I'm not doing the 1000s of kms per season I used to either so only time will tell.

It was Easton XCOnes that gave me all the heartache. Bearings started going snap, crackle and pop right at the end of their first year. I'm told they've fixed the problem now...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sore member
    Factory Hope Hoops on Stans rims from CRC are hard to beat price-wise.

mtbr member
    hand built all the way!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    So getting back to my original point, not that I dont appreciate everyone's posts thus far, just wondering more where is the best place to order wheels.

Any LBS in T.O. area that have good prices? or no one can match CRC

mtbr member
    If you go to most local bike stores and tell them you want wheels they will order them from a catalog already built. A lot of stores don't want to bother building up a wheelset anymore. If that's what they prefer, you might as well shop online and get the best possible price. Jenson is nice because they tell you exact price you'll pay to get it to your Canadian doorstep. You won't get any surprise duty fees.
    Don't buy Easton or Crank Brothers wheels. Do a search, they suck. Get whatever Stan's you can afford.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've ordered three wheelsets from CRC, all at prices my LBS couldn't touch - when CRC was blowing out last year's wheel model. Aside from wheels, my LBS does a close enough job matching online retailers that I don't bother buying online to save 15-20%.

I've been happy with black flag pro's as well as charger pro's (both 29er model) and now running Stan's 650b flows on hope pro II hubs. At my weight (~200 geared up) I found the Stan's Arch EX 29er wheelset to be quite flexy - enough to rub the inside of the seatstays).

Happy shopping!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    CRC will build wheels too won't they? Get some Hope PRO2 evo hubs laced to Stans rims with DT spokes and brass nipples and I think you would have a reasonably priced performing wheelset that will be much better than most factory wheelsets. The whole proprietary spoke thing going on with Crank Brothers, Mavic and other factory wheels is a deal-breaker for me.

sore member
    Your LBS are highly unlikely to match CRC's prices. Unless you have lots of spare time to visit them, I wouldn't bother.

With Jenson, put the item in the shopping cart, go to checkout to get the exact price including shipping and taxes.

With CRC, choose the free shipping option (CRC tends to ship large/expensive items with tracking anyway, so no sense in paying extra for expedited shipping just to get tracking). Figure in $9 brokerage fee and 13% tax to that to get the final price. If you are lucky, the package will slip through Canada Border Services unnoticed and you won't have to pay brokerage and taxes (bonus!), but likely you will have to pay and it will still be cheaper than anything else on the planet.

Jensen ships UPS, so if no one is home during the day to receive the package, you need to wait for UPS to attempt delivery, then call the number on the attempted delivery notice slip, ask them to hold it at the depot for you, wait 24-48 hours, then take time off work to drive to the depot which luck would have it is often on the other side of town. And guess what? They aren't open during lunch and have business hours, a waiting line, and customer service worse than most banks.

With CRC, your order will arrive via Canada Post. They usually attempt delivery once and then hold it at the nearest post office, which for me is a Shopper's Drugmart down the block open from 9am to 9pm.

Whatever you choose to do, don't order from an online retailer that ships "UPS Ground" Google "UPS brokerage fee scam" to find out why.

I hate UPS. Can you tell?
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 01-10-2013 at 11:44 AM.

GAME ON!
    crc is hard to beat, that's why retailers hate them
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    When I order from Jenson the guy just leaves it at my door. That's ok for me. Someone is always here to bring it in.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    What are peoples views on buying a wheel set used. I have found a couple sets now that sound pretty good. Some with tubeless tires already installed (not sure how I feel bout this, cause I dunno how quality the installation was) or just the complete wheel, no tires.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    crc is hard to beat, that's why retailers hate them
    They must do huge volume.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    What are peoples views on buying a wheel set used. I have found a couple sets now that sound pretty good. Some with tubeless tires already installed (not sure how I feel bout this, cause I dunno how quality the installation was) or just the complete wheel, no tires.
    Used wheels OK in my books. Not any more of an issue than buying anything used, in that each type of component has things you would ideally inspect to determine condition. Your ability to perform that inspection depends on your own knowledge and skills plus the amount of time you want to make available relative to the cost of the goods.

If you head further down the used path and want some tips I'm sure the collective group here could chime in on how to inspect and evaluate, either as a basic once over or fine tooth comb (which may not be possible if you aren't accustomed to doing your own wheel maintenance for freehub, bearings, and spoke tension/true). Then again, there's no bad time to start learning, and it may provide you with an excuse to increase your knowledge with some of these items if you aren't already at that point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast