Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

BC Bike Race: Highlights!

I know race reports can be somewhat tiring to read so I'll keep it brief.

Day 1: Vancouver North Shore
    -Everything you've heard about the North Shore is true. Everything is big, REALLY big, and we only went down Blue trails.

Day 2: Vancouver Island - Part 1
    -Shuttle bus and one ferry
    -First part of the day was a lot like riding along the edge of the Escarpment.
    -Second part of the day was a lot like riding the hardest parts of Puslinch.

Day 3: Vancouver Island - Part 2
    -Shuttle bus
    -First part of the day was a lot like Albion.
    -Second part of the day was like Buckwallow on steroids, lots of 'em.

Day 4: Sunshine Coast
    -Shuttle bus, ferry, shuttle bus, ferry.
    -By far the most TransRockies-like day.
    -Long fast climbs, fire road descents, 45 minutes hike-a-bike, you get the picture.
    -First major injury: fast solo male dislocates hip, fractures collar bone and breaks wrist - sends a chill through the peleton.
    -Hot, long day in the saddle, the IV tent looks like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Day 5: Sechelt
    -First part of the day was most like Mansfield
    -Second part of the day was the most amazing downhill I've ever ridden: imagine 15 km of Catalyst in the Don.
    -Ferry ride to Squamish.

Day 6: Squamish
    -First part of the day was unlike anything I'd ever ridden, amazingly technical and rocky.
    -Second part of the day was something like Hilton Falls, but way funner.
    -Best all-around day by far; I didn't talk to anyone that didn't crash (hard) at least once.

Day 7: Whistler
    -First part of the day was like climbing Kelso six times in a row and ended in a Black Diamond downhill.
    -Second part of the day: see part one.

Random Stuff:
    -We finished and we have the belt buckles to prove it!
    -Mrs. Monster became the first woman (and by extension, we became the first mixed team) to complete BCBR on a Single Speed!
    -About one-sixth of the teams/riders that started the race didn't complete it whether due to injury, mechanical or time-cut.
    -Other major injuries: broken collar bone, broken arm, brain swelling, internal bleeding and dislocated fingers to name a few.
    -Major mechanicals: at least 3 Fisher Hi-Fis (carbon and aluminum) frames (head/top tube, chain stay, etc) , 2 Niner Jet9s (head/top tube), a Scott (chainstay), an October (top/seat tube) and a set of Roval wheels didn't finish the race.
    -Ryan Trebone really is THAT tall.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely, but only if you arrive prepared: this was no cake-walk. We showed up ready-to-race and had a blast. Mrs. Monster had two rear flats and that was it. The Misfits were bullet-proof. We didn't bonk or get dehydrated. It was a textbook race.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    That's awesome, congrats on being the first SS mixed team.

I was reading the daily updates on Cyclingdirt and it made me want to be out there soooo bad.

Nice work!

mtbr member
    awesome accomplishment...congrats to you both. A ride report is not complete without some pics though!!!hint hint, nudge nudge

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    WELL DONE to both of you. That is truely amazing just to try it and even more to finish with a standing time. I was checking the site out to see how you were making out and was wondering if you did it SS or not. Man I don't know how anybody does thise hills on SS. CONGRATS

Looking for Adventure
    Great news man. I didn't realize you were there. Congrats on a good race!
    I have been reading the updates on the race and thinking of doing it one day, as my racing partner lives on Vancouver Island and rides some of those trails.

Did you train more than for CTS?
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

the original big ring
    Awesome!

I did it last year and can't wait to go back - hoping for a 'certain' partner for next year. Squamish was my favourite day too. Freak'in incredible. The support, logistics and organization is second to none.

Cheers.

Space for rent...

Outstanding job..

Great job even attempting that on a SS. Finishing it, truly amazing. You guys rock
    It's only pain......

No. Just No. Moderator
    Wowzers - nice work, and congrats to both of you. The 2010 early bird registration special they are putting up for $1499 is tempting and wicked deal compared to full price reg, but probably still not quite enough to get me off the fence.

My consolation is that at least I get to ride 1 or sometimes even 2 of those trail systems (other than on the Island) most weekends.

Looking forward to some pics eventually if you managed to take the time for any snaps. Not that I need to know what the trails look like, but there's something about event photos that helps to convey the overall atmosphere.

mtbr member
    does, "we didnt bonk..." mean what i think it does?? haha

that sounds like a wicked race...hope there are pics of all stages...

Muskoka
    Congrats, sounds like quite an adventure! Would you elaborate on day 3 and 4 on the island (ie trail names,location). We have a son living in Victoria whom we visit on occasion.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Congrats, sounds like quite an adventure! Would you elaborate on day 3 and 4 on the island (ie trail names,location). We have a son living in Victoria whom we visit on occasion.
    Scroll down on this link for stage 2 and 3 info;

http://www.bcbikerace.com/Race_Info/#Menu

bi-winning
    You kept it brief, but your report was still very interesting. Congratulations to you both. It sounds like a truly amazing race. I think I would enjoy it. Maybe one day....
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    garage monster: -Mrs. Monster became the first woman (and by extension, we became the first mixed team) to complete BCBR on a Single Speed!

Congratulations to both of you. Frankly I am not surprised you did this, but Mrs Monster? On a singlespeed? Damn, that is impressive!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Out there
    Aug 2006
    FANTASTIC JOB.

Starting to think about this for 2011. NOT on a SS.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Looking forward to some pics eventually if you managed to take the time for any snaps. Not that I need to know what the trails look like, but there's something about event photos that helps to convey the overall atmosphere.
    Like so?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

Nice!!!

Awesome work Mark and Mrs. Monster. I am envious. I actually had a conversation with my wife about doing CTS together in a couple of years when our children are older and we can be away for a few days. She's been away from the mountain bike for a few years, so this is inspiring to read to motivate me to get her back on it. Fantastic job and a killer experience for you guys.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Did you train more than for CTS?
    Yes. And thank god we did.

Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8
    Man I don't know how anybody does those hills on SS.
    One walks!

It really was an incredible experience. I've never ridden trails like that. Everything was so beautifully built - it made stuff in the Don look really sketchy by comparison! I had lots of moments of "I can't believe I just rode that!" (e.g. ladder bridges over deep chasms, crazy downhills, enormous rock gardens). My technical skills improved hugely as the week progressed. It turns out I'm a pretty good descender. Who knew?

Everyone there was ridiculously fit and skilled, plus it was really neat to be in the same race as all those pros.

They made a number of changes to the course to increase the amount of singletrack, and I think it was a big success. Most of the fireroads were in fact climbable on a SS, even if the steep, uphill, loamy singletrack wasn't (at least for me).

The organisation and logistics were incredible. The food was really good, even if it wasn't quite up to CTS standards. That $1499 deal is sick-good. Though it probably doesn't come with all the swag we got (BCBR Syncros handlebar, stem, seat etc).

And, yes, you may interpret "didn't bonk" however you want. You could hear people farting six tents over - no privacy.

We didn't take any pictures, but the ones up at http://bcbikerace.com/Media/Blog/ are excellent.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Yes. And thank god we did.
    Since your team and our team were nipping at each other during the CTS, could you share your training plan that you used to do an amazing finish at BCBR? Leaving out trade secrets of course.....

Things like how many hours/sessions per week, broken by mountain vs. road training, and special things to note like intensity levels and back to back sessions. I think others would be interested, but if it gets too detailed and intense, send me a PM.

You folks are an inspiration for me to give it some serious consideration. The format suits me more than Trans Rockies.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    could you share your training plan that you used to do an amazing finish at BCBR? Leaving out trade secrets of course.....

Things like how many hours/sessions per week, broken by mountain vs. road training, and special things to note like intensity levels and back to back sessions.
    Um, I should point out that while we did finish (my big goal), and on SSs (which is a big accomplishment), we were still in the bottom third of the field. The riders were outstanding.

Well, the training plan was a lot like the one we used for CTS. Ride a lot... more. I'm not a fan of structured training plans. They seem too much like work and not enough like fun. Andreas Hestler has a good one posted on the BCBR website that we used for inspiration, but that was it.

Here's what we did:
    1. Race CTS
    2. Ride rail trails as much as we could during the winter. Get comfortable with some snow riding (including the Icebreaker).
    3. Classic ski a LOT (1-2 hour night skis at the local conservation area 1-2 times per week; five hours skis on weekends at least once, preferably twice). Do the Canadian ski marathon and as many loppets as possible.
    4. Go to Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park in February to hone the technical skills.
    5. Do a lot of early season road centuries with varied terrain for volume.
    6. Dragonboat practice in the pool (later the water), 1-2 times per week.
    7. Feb-April, as part of dragonboat training, we did 1-2 hour circuit training once a week, which focused a lot on core strength. Also, we had to start running about 5 km per week in the spring for dragonboating (I hate running, but it was useful).
    8. When the trails became rideable, we tried to spend as much time as we could on the mountain bikes, as the power, skills and big pushes (especially for SS) just don't get developed on the road. Plus it's fun. We did Hydrocut, Puslinch, the Don... Tried to ensure I was comfortable on bridges and skinnies. We did long rides Saturday and Sunday as much as possible (though we started dragonboat racing several weekends more recently).
    9. Tuesday night series.
    10. Lifestyles 24 hour race

So here's a typical week:
    Saturday Sunday: two long hard rides (or skis or OCups or dragonboat races)
    Monday: "recovery ride" - about two hours on rail trails and road
    Tuesday: Albion race series (or night ski) - high intensity
    Wednesday: Dragonboat practice (~2 hours of exercise)
    Thursday: Two hour mountain bike ride (or circuit training or night skiing)
    Friday: Rest day (groceries).

We avoided stuff like hill climbs, since they're no fun. It probably would have helped, but the point for me is to maximise the fun, during AND before the race. Hope that helps.

It's funny. At one point, Mr. Monster actually commented to me that he thought you'd particularly appreciate BCBR as "real" mountain biking.

Looking for Adventure
    Um, I should point out that while we did finish (my big goal), and on SSs (which is a big accomplishment), we were still in the bottom third of the field. The riders were outstanding.

Well, the training plan was a lot like the one we used for CTS. Ride a lot... more. I'm not a fan of structured training plans. They seem too much like work and not enough like fun. Andreas Hestler has a good one posted on the BCBR website that we used for inspiration, but that was it.
    WOW! Did you ever get prepared! But first this........considering you were up against national and international celebrities....bottom third was damn good!
    Then this.......do you have kids??

I think I will have to disown myself from the family for that kind of training (knowing my wife and kids think a 25km trail ride is tough), but it may be worth it during one year. I love cross country skiing and trail running and .......dragonboating??WTF??? Would kayaking substitute?
    I could mustard 5 good stage days, but 7....ouch. Perhaps 2010 is the year.

Glad to hear I am buried in someone's conscience......

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I think I will have to disown myself from the family for that kind of training (knowing my wife and kids think a 25km trail ride is tough), but it may be worth it during one year. I love cross country skiing and trail running and .......dragonboating??WTF??? Would kayaking substitute?
    I could mustard 5 good stage days, but 7....ouch. Perhaps 2010 is the year.
    The dragonboating is our "other" summer sport. I don't think it's a necessary part of any mtb training plan; it's just what we did. Kayaking does use very similar muscles though.

Probably a more structured training plan could get you to the same place more efficiently, but I enjoyed doing what we did. As I said, I thought of it as a fun way to spend time together (it helps that we "train" together), not as training. As you surmised, we don't have kids, though we do have demanding jobs.

I would seriously recommend the BCBR to anyone. As long as you're up for 60-70 km of technical single track per day.

mtbr member
    Nerdgirl: I would seriously recommend the BCBR to anyone. As long as you're up for 60-70 km of technical single track per day.

That should be no problem ... for the first day.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great job to both of you. I also made the trip out there and competed in the race. My partner is a friend from Vancouver and we both had an amazing week. (Our goal was to make the cut off times, but we ended up being stronger than that and finished 26th in the 2 man category) The race is very mentally tough as well as physically challenging, and riding with a team-mate also has its rewards and challenges.

It was amazing to ride with the pros and i was in awe of you folks on the single speed bikes!

I totally agree with your statement Nerdgirl in that i also felt that i got stronger and stronger as a rider as the week went on.

I wrote a little blog while we were out there: http://bcbikerace.wordpress.com

-pary

And the three bikes

Here's what we did:
    1. Race CTS
    2. Ride rail trails as much as we could during the winter. Get comfortable with some snow riding (including the Icebreaker).
    3. Classic ski a LOT (1-2 hour night skis at the local conservation area 1-2 times per week; five hours skis on weekends at least once, preferably twice). Do the Canadian ski marathon and as many loppets as possible.
    4. Go to Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park in February to hone the technical skills.
    5. Do a lot of early season road centuries with varied terrain for volume.
    6. Dragonboat practice in the pool (later the water), 1-2 times per week.
    7. Feb-April, as part of dragonboat training, we did 1-2 hour circuit training once a week, which focused a lot on core strength. Also, we had to start running about 5 km per week in the spring for dragonboating (I hate running, but it was useful).
    8. When the trails became rideable, we tried to spend as much time as we could on the mountain bikes, as the power, skills and big pushes (especially for SS) just don't get developed on the road. Plus it's fun. We did Hydrocut, Puslinch, the Don... Tried to ensure I was comfortable on bridges and skinnies. We did long rides Saturday and Sunday as much as possible (though we started dragonboat racing several weekends more recently).
    9. Tuesday night series.
    10. Lifestyles 24 hour race

So here's a typical week:
    Saturday Sunday: two long hard rides (or skis or OCups or dragonboat races)
    Monday: "recovery ride" - about two hours on rail trails and road
    Tuesday: Albion race series (or night ski) - high intensity
    Wednesday: Dragonboat practice (~2 hours of exercise)
    Thursday: Two hour mountain bike ride (or circuit training or night skiing)
    Friday: Rest day (groceries).

We avoided stuff like hill climbs, since they're no fun. It probably would have helped, but the point for me is to maximise the fun, during AND before the race. Hope that helps.

It's funny. At one point, Mr. Monster actually commented to me that he thought you'd particularly appreciate BCBR as "real" mountain biking.
    I'm feeling a nap coming on just reading this! Congratulations! Amazing job.

Misfit Psycles
    mrs monster (and also by extension the mr) were even semi-celebrities in Breckenridge CO.

one of the organizer/helper types from the Breck Epic returned from BCBR...during a bike cleaning i overheard part of his tale..."then this maniac of a woman flew past me on the downhill...on a singlespeed"...i interjected and the identity of the maniac confirmed!

excellent job!
    bcbr is on the list for 2010.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast