Muskoka

Barney, B'loo, and The Barrens [o]

Barney Zirple Purple, HullaBaloo,and myself played this afternoon on the Torrance Barrens

http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    From all your recent photos, looks surprisingly dry at the Barrens already this year - so is it good to go save for the usual wet spots or are your photos well placed?

In other matters, we rode to cornell on sunday (yes, in that snow) and I found a new use for the Fatback - I'm going to have fun with that thing. Cornell is rideable save for the bog right at the start by the way - might have to put some effort into re-opening the singletrack around that section again

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko
    From all your recent photos, looks surprisingly dry at the Barrens already this year - so is it good to go save for the usual wet spots or are your photos well placed?

In other matters, we rode to cornell on sunday (yes, in that snow) and I found a new use for the Fatback - I'm going to have fun with that thing. Cornell is rideable save for the bog right at the start by the way - might have to put some effort into re-opening the singletrack around that section again
    The Barrens are indeed in great shape, with just the usual few wet areas. However the western end of The Barrens Extention Trail around where the big beaver dam is happens to be drier than previous couple of years. The beavers are making the dams ever higher, which I think accounts for all the flooding we now get on the eastern end of Highland Pond, near the trail head...it never used to flood there like that until past 2-3 yrs! It's been really nice riding there past few weekends though, and nobody else around!! We saw 2 Sandhill Cranes off in the distance previous weekend while riding with Mike & Donnie. Well, this weekend I came upon them about 25ft from the edge of the trail! Those birds are truly HUGE!!
    OF course I was rolling on the bike with camera in-case, so no chance of getting a pic. As soon as they saw me they started trumpeting, which got B'loo's attention ( who hadn't seen them 'till that point)so he went charging over... which spooked them off. But I was very pleased that he left them alone and came right over to me when I called him
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor