Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lemmy Rules!

Banished to the garage

I have just moved into a new home, and my (non-cycling) better half has laid down the law and told me my bikes have to be kept in the garage, rather than inside the house.

I am a little concerned about theft - does anyone out there have any suggestions about how to set something up in the garage to keep the bikes secure. I thought about chaining them to the studs in the garage wall, but an enterprising bike thief could saw thru the studs. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

bi-winning
    If somebody is planning to use cutting tools, you are pretty screwed anyway. Metal chains, cable locks, studs,... they can all be cut with the right tools.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    In the garage!! Heartless other-half!!! If they are expensive bikes, be sure to insure them.
    High on Life

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I have just moved into a new home, and my (non-cycling) better half has laid down the law and told me my bikes have to be kept in the garage, rather than inside the house.

I am a little concerned about theft - does anyone out there have any suggestions about how to set something up in the garage to keep the bikes secure. I thought about chaining them to the studs in the garage wall, but an enterprising bike thief could saw thru the studs. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    A cot and a scuba spear gun (much quieter than a shot gun). Once you get your significant other trained in the use of the spear gun, and she tries to get used to sleeping in the garage, she may decide that the bikes are better kept in the basement.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    A cot and a scuba spear gun (much quieter than a shot gun). Once you get your significant other trained in the use of the spear gun, and she tries to get used to sleeping in the garage, she may decide that the bikes are better kept in the basement.
    +1 on the spear gun idea!!!
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

ROCKY!

I know how to use a spear gun

which reminds me - I left my bike in the garage last night after my ride. What a heartless thing to do ... shame on me
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Misfit Psycles
    does anyone out there have any suggestions about how to set something up in the garage to keep the bikes secure.
    these peoples will sort you out.
    you'd probably get some sort of trade discount too.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Same thing happened to me, all was well @ the old house but moved into the new diggs and wifey laid down the law about bike+dirt in the house. I wired the garage door to the alarm system to mitigate the risk and all is well now

OCD
    To secure my track bike (motorcycle) to my garage floor I used to use a combo of:
    https://www.kryptonitelock.com/produ...scid=&pid=1161
    and
    https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produ...=1002&pid=1196

I stopped playing with that toy and got rid of it, the chain still gets used to secure the mountain bikes to my trailer hitch when needed. You wouldn't want to leave the chain on while driving though, it would likely dent the frame. Now I worry about thieves cutting my trail hitch off more than that chain!

Cheers!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Very constructive. Thank you. Can me and my bikes just sleep on your couch?

Misfit Psycles
    Very constructive. Thank you. Can me and my bikes just sleep on your couch?
    i felt terrible for a moment, what after i saw that there were actually CHEAPER solutions.

sorry, save that link though, you'll need it after (Fe)...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

LA CHÈVRE
    I just moved into a new place too and since I'm paying most bills, I got to have a whole room for storing bikes, working on them and a roadie on a trainer as well, she didn't even pick the wall colors. An important lesson kids: money=power!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Looking for Adventure
    Well, the deal should continue with "as long as I can renovate the garage to become a family den/play room, complete with heat, electrical, cable, and furniture; and we will have to leave the cars on the driveway......O.K."

Otherwise, the basement should work out just fine, don't your think dear??

Never leave expensive bikes in the garage.....you will be sorry!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

I already rode that
    Get some good insurance or bring them inside. Tell the other half that at least they arent in the bedroom!
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Steady Creepin'
    I couldn't be in a relationship with someone that "laid down the law", especially with something that was very important to me. Seen too many friends living miserably with controlling/demanding spouses.

see Nogearshere's advice..

Living Life Behind Bars..

Good Garage Ideas

not sure if this is any safer or more secure but a friend of mine who bought a new home put a few locked kryptonite locks in the concrete garage floor when the trades where pouring it. The top of the U-lock is about 3 " above the garage floor and the rest is buried. He runs cables through all the ' toys ' he has in there and so far so good. Not sure if would be a actual theft proof but would act as a barrier for the smash and grabs.

Dorkimus Prime

Sanctuary not banishment.

Like the title says you have to view it from a positive angle. Being blessed with the garage is not a bad thing, don't treat it like you've been exiled like Napolean. Fortify that garage, big dead bolt, beefy chains, a few token T & A pictures and alot of references to beer.

When this is complete you'll have a sanctuary where you'll be comfortable and you're S.O. will not. This has to be your space. I don't mean this to piss off the women, before you get panties in a knot, I was told this by a woman.

Early in the relationship I have with my partner, her Aunt overheard our negotiating for house space and decor choices. She informed us that there was a Jewish custom of the man always having complete control over one room in the house, no matter how tacky he may be. I believe this was to appease men who realistically have little or no control over want goes on in our homes.

This system really works well for us. I love my garage she loves her house.

An extra tip - in the front of my garage I hung a large flag. This makes it very difficult to see my hoard of swag from the street, even with the door open. Also, my garage door is older and swings out before it goes up. This is sweet because when we go away, the spare car gets butted flush up against the door.

I hope this helps.

Happy in Hootchie Hell,
    Ed

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    I couldn't be in a relationship with someone that "laid down the law", especially with something that was very important to me. Seen too many friends living miserably with controlling/demanding spouses.

see Nogearshere's advice..
    My wife is neither controlling nor demanding. She just doesn't ride. "Laid down the law" and "banished" was my half-assed attempt at being folksy - if anyone out there thought otherwise, then that is my bad. And I am not "living miserably" by any stretch of the imagination. Trust me on that one. And for all of you that think I am just writing this in case my wife came across this post, you should all know that this is not the way things work at chez unglued. I just want to figure out a solution that sees my bikes safe from theft, but no muddy tire tracks on the hall carpet. It's all about compromise.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, humorous and practical. Happy trails y'all.

mtbr member
    You could always take your balls out of her purse for a moment and tell her you'll put the bikes where you bloody well please, since you own half the house.
    Stuff.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    My bikes are in the Quonset hut, along with the 16' workbench, the compressor, the truing stand, and all the rest of it. It's Shangri-la.

When I lived in Toronto (Beaches) I left my bikes in the shed with a lock on the door.

Buy insurance and relax.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Hack Racer
    Not flaunting nice stuff in the garage keeps passer bys un interested. If you start showing off expensive bike hung on the wall, nice snap on tool chests, an impressive compressor and the likes = trouble. All you are doing is showing off to the world that your garage is a gold mine for goodies.

Don't leave your garage door open for long periods of time. Don't leave your garage door open when you aren't inside it (meaning if you are in the back cutting your lawn), don't leave it open.

Insurance on your bikes. Expensive single items usually require seperate "ryders/riders" on the policy. Let your insurance company know you own expensive sports equipment. They will ask you what it is, and how much. Then they can either say... ok that is fine you are covered, or you need to fill out a form and send in a picture documenting what the item is in detail / support it with a reciept. If your insurance company asks for the later usually they will ask for extra money. Probably like 20 bucks extra a year to insure your 6000+ dollar bike for replacement value.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    There is also the option of hiring an IMC.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    You could always take your balls out of her purse for a moment and tell her you'll put the bikes where you bloody well please, since you own half the house.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are single and live in your parents' basement.

mtbr member
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are single and live in your parents' basement.
    He has a point though. Man up and push for a compromise that works for both of you

If MTB'ing is such a huge part of your life, this surely isn't a 'new' thing for her to deal with, you've been riding for years and she is well aware of this.

So for her to 'lay down the law' and deliberately put such a huge part of your life into a situation to cause you added costs & stress, means she doesn't give a crap about your passion for riding, which is a large part of who you are.

If the garage bugs you, step up and get them in the house. If you're an easy push over now, just wait, it'll get much worse ....

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    Not flaunting nice stuff in the garage keeps passer bys un interested. If you start showing off expensive bike hung on the wall, nice snap on tool chests, an impressive compressor and the likes = trouble. All you are doing is showing off to the world that your garage is a gold mine for goodies.

Don't leave your garage door open for long periods of time. Don't leave your garage door open when you aren't inside it (meaning if you are in the back cutting your lawn), don't leave it open.
    X2

Doesn't matter what your hobby is (bikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles), don't advertise what you've got in your garage. I'm also choosy which neighbours know when I'm gone. After a break in several years ago, I'm extra careful. The current neighbours on 1 side of me I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them or their kids' friends.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast