Results 1 to 63 of 63
  1. #1
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772

    Back by popular demand - The Second Annual MTBR Holiday Ride

    So...last year's holiday ride seemed to go over well, so I figure we should do it again. I figure those who are interested in coming out should meet up at 9am at Cafe Domestique on December 28th.

    Given that I have a rudimentary knowledge of the trails around Dundas, Cpt Sydor has graciously agreed to lead the ride. This will be a low-pressure, no-drop fun ride in or about the trails surrounding Dundas, much the same as last year. Beverages and lunch at Domestique afterwards for those who are able to stick around.

    Hope to see y'all out!
    Strava made me do it....

  2. #2
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    isn't that on Friday?

    there are people that have to work for living, unlike most lawyers... helloooo?

  3. #3
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    isn't that on Friday?

    there are people that have to work for living, unlike most lawyers... helloooo?
    I was not aware that you were one of those people, Oggie....
    Strava made me do it....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    isn't that on Friday?

    there are people that have to work for living, unlike most lawyers... helloooo?
    It was on a week day last year, you didn't show.

    Any guess as to why it's on a week day again this year?

    Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, but screw working, I'm in.

  5. #5
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    28th? I'm chained to my desk that day.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    isn't that on Friday?

    there are people that have to work for living, unlike most lawyers... helloooo?
    Think of it as a mobile off site meeting.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.

  7. #7
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Yes, it was on a weekday last year.
    I think I just found out that I have that day off. I'll let you know.

  8. #8
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    It's not really a holiday ride unless you take holidays for it, now is it?
    Not sure if we'll make this one or not. Depends on the weather a bit (road conditions, not trail conditions). Perhaps I'll throw out a babysitting request...

  9. #9
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    isn't that on Friday?

    there are people that have to work for living, unlike most lawyers... helloooo?


    It was on a week day last year, you didn't show.

    Any guess as to why it's on a week day again this year?

    Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, but screw working, I'm in.
    __________________

    double posting much Captain?


  10. #10
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    It's not really a holiday ride unless you take holidays for it, now is it?
    Not sure if we'll make this one or not. Depends on the weather a bit (road conditions, not trail conditions). Perhaps I'll throw out a babysitting request...
    At a minimum, we expect the three of you to put in an appearance at Domestique either before or after the ride...
    Strava made me do it....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    594

    this sucks because I was away for the Dundas Monstercross

    (had to work in Hilton Head, play golf that is) and I am away for this one as I will be in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. Hopefully on that day I will be singletracking in El Choco National Park with Max and his friends. When is the next group ride so I can plan ahead?

  12. #12
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    (had to work in Hilton Head, play golf that is) and I am away for this one as I will be in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. Hopefully on that day I will be singletracking in El Choco National Park with Max and his friends. When is the next group ride so I can plan ahead?
    Thank you for sharing this vital bit singletrack info. Now to go start hinting to the VBall Diva for next years team trip.

  13. #13
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    I could be off, but I'll be working. That`s our `making money hand over fist` week because we float two holidays (rememberance day and `your birthday`) to go with Christmas and Boxing day that week. They`ve never asked for any mechanics to come in on Christmas day (the busses go out though), but we can `sign` to come in and work the other 3 holidays for time and a half. By the end of the week, if you work the 3 holidays your total pay for that week alone is 76 hours..

    I signed them all to help fund a new bike in the spring....
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  14. #14
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    double posting much Captain?
    Apparently the site's servers/software had a bit of a hiccup yesterday (now solved) causing many duplicate posts across all forums. Or, it's also possible the Cpt wasn't properly adhering to the mantra "don't drink and post". Or maybe that was supposed to be "drink before you post"? I dunno.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    594

    ok, but could you tell me where I could find

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Thank you for sharing this vital bit singletrack info. Now to go start hinting to the VBall Diva for next years team trip.
    VBDiva's office?

  16. #16
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    VBDiva's office?
    My wife is the coach at Queen's and that is her handle on the Vball and coaching forums.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    594

    ok I'll put in a good word for you,

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    My wife is the coach at Queen's and that is her handle on the ball and coaching forums.
    where on my computer do I find that damn smiley face?

  18. #18
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    where on my computer do I find that damn smiley face?
    Timing of your post is funny. As three days ago she mentions the team is taking a week and a half trip to either Florida or the Dominican Republic. Now I just have to convince her the Dominican is the better choice.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    594

    my son and daugter have separately taken trips here,

    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Timing of your post is funny. As three days ago she mentions the team is taking a week and a half trip to either Florida or the Dominican Republic. Now I just have to convince her the Dominican is the better choice.
    Swell Surf Camp Dominican Republic # 1 surf camp in Cabarete
    so mom and I are taking them away for a week to cabarete so they can visit with their friends at Swell, I can ride El Choco, and we can escape Christmas.
    Here is another Cabarete video,
    26 « November « 2012 « The Lazy Rando Blog…
    lots of young people, meditation, surfing, and safe to travel.

  20. #20
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    Swell Surf Camp Dominican Republic # 1 surf camp in Cabarete
    so mom and I are taking them away for a week to cabarete so they can visit with their friends at Swell, I can ride El Choco, and we can escape Christmas.
    Here is another Cabarete video,
    26 « November « 2012 « The Lazy Rando Blog…
    lots of young people, meditation, surfing, and safe to travel.
    Unfortunately for the team it's really a business trip. If I go it's called fun.

  21. #21
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    As Mrs. Monster said, if we're around, we should be able to make some sort of appearance though riding would be the most funnest.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Proud to say that I too, am not a lawyer, but shall be in.

  23. #23
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Proud to say that I too, am not a lawyer, but shall be in.
    Blah. You are probably unionized. Most likely public service.

  24. #24
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Blah. You are probably unionized. Most likely public service.
    Hmm.. I suspect someone needs more Slivovitz in their Egg Nog.

  25. #25
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Hmm.. I suspect someone needs more Slivovitz in their Egg Nog.
    Can't do. I work in public sector.

  26. #26
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Can't do. I work in public sector.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dIto5mwDLxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-17-2012 at 10:58 PM.

  27. #27
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    i'm in if i can use platforms.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  28. #28
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i'm in if i can use platforms.
    You can ride a unicycle as far as I am concerned. The more the merrier....
    Strava made me do it....

  29. #29
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    You can ride a unicycle as far as I am concerned. The more the merrier....
    i can't ride a unicycle
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Blah. You are probably unionized. Most likely public service.
    Haha. Union of one (self employed). Still answer to wife...luckily, allowed to ride bike this day.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265
    In! Probably.. most likely

  32. #32
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i can't ride a unicycle
    You can borrow mine. It has platforms.
    Strava made me do it....

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    I'll be leading in style.....

    Hoping and praying for snow, just follow my tracks

  34. #34
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Reputation: 14Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    726
    Unglued has harassed me into throwing my tentative hat in.

    Depends entirely on when the new baby shows up. We shall see but I do want to ride!

  35. #35
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i'm in if i can use platforms.
    That depends on the model you are using. And of course then we have to consider the shoe to be used with these pedals.

  36. #36
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    That depends on the model you are using. And of course then we have to consider the shoe to be used with these pedals.
    these with clips:
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  37. #37
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Unglued has harassed me into throwing my tentative hat in.

    Depends entirely on when the new baby shows up. We shall see but I do want to ride!
    1. Congratulations!!!
    2. Really? You'll ride close to a due date? If before - cell phone at ready and commute time to wife better be short. If after, you'll be tired and pretty busy... Just sayin'.

  38. #38
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    these with clips:
    Hmm.. acceptable only if they are from Jon Fluevog and come with a stealth rubber sole.

  39. #39
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Reputation: 14Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    726
    Thanks

    Baby has been somewhat comical in its non appearance lately. Keeping us up all night with kicks and punches making mommy really unhappy and tense, only to go silent and nappy during the day.. its been a good time

    My wife kicks me out of the house to ride, but she makes sure to glue the phone to my hip before I go, though Hamilton may be a stretch. I get cabin fever if I don't ride outside at least once a week so she'll kick me out of the house and hog the bed while I go ride in the morning on weekends instead of dealing with the longing looks outside while sighing loudly, constant fiddling on a one geared bike, and endless evenings of laptop bike lust.

    Its a small trade according to her.

  40. #40
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Well, I'm one to talk. I was out on the bike a week before going into labour, while Mr. Monster led a group ride (with cellphone!). I agree that riding helps the mental strength!

    My baby also mostly kicked at night, though he also kicked when I was climbing on the singlespeed. Faster, mommy, faster! The last trimester was NOT good sleep, but I look back on those days with starry eyes now, as the sleep since baby has been much, much worse.

    Maybe we'll see you! Good luck either way!

    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Thanks

    Baby has been somewhat comical in its non appearance lately. Keeping us up all night with kicks and punches making mommy really unhappy and tense, only to go silent and nappy during the day.. its been a good time

    My wife kicks me out of the house to ride, but she makes sure to glue the phone to my hip before I go, though Hamilton may be a stretch. I get cabin fever if I don't ride outside at least once a week so she'll kick me out of the house and hog the bed while I go ride in the morning on weekends instead of dealing with the longing looks outside while sighing loudly, constant fiddling on a one geared bike, and endless evenings of laptop bike lust.

    Its a small trade according to her.

  41. #41
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Reputation: 14Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    726
    Thanks

    Mrs. Stone has promised to come out to some events this year. Hopefully you guys can meet her and Mini Stone 1 and 2.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    485
    Looks like there'll be one more for the ride. I've been given the green light to come for a ride.

  43. #43
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    how many km?
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  44. #44
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    how many km?
    I'm guessing the km's will be decided during ride based on snow conditions.

  45. #45
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Last year we covered about 25-30km but not at a blistering pace
    Strava made me do it....

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    We got a pretty descent amount of snow yesterday. More than I think we'll be able to plow through in the single track. I suspect will be just playing around more locally in the Dundas Valley where the locals have been out trampling a bit.

  47. #47
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Reputation: 14Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    726
    Hey guys.

    Baby came on time on the 24th. Things got a bit off kilter as some of us got sick when baby arrived throwing everything out of whack. We're trying to get back into a routine but I think I'm going to have to bow out for this one unfortunately. Though I really want to go.

    I have been given the nod for Frostbike though!

  48. #48
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Hey guys.

    Baby came on time on the 24th. Things got a bit off kilter as some of us got sick when baby arrived throwing everything out of whack. We're trying to get back into a routine but I think I'm going to have to bow out for this one unfortunately. Though I really want to go.

    I have been given the nod for Frostbike though!
    congrats and good luck!

  49. #49
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    We got a pretty descent amount of snow yesterday. More than I think we'll be able to plow through in the single track. I suspect will be just playing around more locally in the Dundas Valley where the locals have been out trampling a bit.
    how did fatties handle Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest... we watched you man-handling that rock wall at the beginning of the ride...

    it appears you've been working on your technical skills lately. what's up with that?

    did you get sponsored again? i didn't see Rapha hat on?

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    Congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Hey guys.

    Baby came on time on the 24th. Things got a bit off kilter as some of us got sick when baby arrived throwing everything out of whack. We're trying to get back into a routine but I think I'm going to have to bow out for this one unfortunately. Though I really want to go.

    I have been given the nod for Frostbike though!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    The fatties were great in Hilton, loads of fun. But you had to man/woman handle them.

    It was quite the contrast however, the day before I was riding my 21-22 lb carbon hardtail, the 37 lb fattie was a little more sluggish!

    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    how did fatties handle Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest... we watched you man-handling that rock wall at the beginning of the ride...

    it appears you've been working on your technical skills lately. what's up with that?

    did you get sponsored again? i didn't see Rapha hat on?

  52. #52
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Reputation: 14Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    726
    Thanks guys

    Though I don't want to derail the thread

  53. #53
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    well, i'm out.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  54. #54
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    We got a pretty descent amount of snow yesterday. More than I think we'll be able to plow through in the single track. I suspect will be just playing around more locally in the Dundas Valley where the locals have been out trampling a bit.
    Thank you dog walkers. Last night took a evening spin just as a the leading storm edge hit us and it was definitely a wee bit crunchy under the snow.


    This morning chickened out and drove the car in to work... it would have been easier to ride the 10 minutes then have driven.

  55. #55
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,061
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    The fatties were great in Hilton, loads of fun. But you had to man/woman handle them.

    It was quite the contrast however, the day before I was riding my 21-22 lb carbon hardtail, the 37 lb fattie was a little more sluggish!
    lol, they did look fun riding though... planning on taking them into deeper snow this winter i suspect?

  56. #56
    That's not a W
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    lol, they did look fun riding though... planning on taking them into deeper snow this winter i suspect?
    The fatbikes are so freaking fun and were surprisingly awesome at Hilton... once I got used to the handling. It rolled easily over the rock and climbed pretty well too, considering.

    That said, the goal will be riding them in snow, wherever it may be!

  57. #57
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Thanks to everyone who made it out for a great, if shambolic, ride!
    Strava made me do it....

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    485
    Great ride guys. Thanks

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks to everyone who came out. Great ride, great company.

    Definitely felt the advantages of the fatbike today, conditions were great for it. Lots of local foot traffic that provide a solid base to get out. I even went out for another 1.5 hours this afternoon!

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,121
    Thanks the guys for organizing and leading the ride, and waiting up for my slow ass. I had a great time out there even though it was more hike than bike for me. And there were some epic wipeouts, including a couple of my own.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,680
    Went back out today and did essentially the same route (with minor tweaks), even with the new 3-4 cm of snow, the extra 24 hours of walkers allowed me to clean essentially all the climbs. Though I did have a couple comical dismounts into the fluffy white stuff.

    I think this area has huge potential for fatbikes to make riding for everyone truly year around!


  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    135
    @CptSydor, we should organize a fatbike ride. If youre interested we have some fatbikers here in Brantford and we have about 40km+ of riding. Let me know if youre interested.

  63. #63
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Thanks guys

    Though I don't want to derail the thread
    Wow, I leave for holidays and miss all sorts of stuff!

    Excellent news!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •