Thread: Argon 18 bikes

I dd what you see there.

Argon 18 bikes

So I'm looking at jumping onto a cross ride for riding to work/rail trails and I came across the Argon 18 'Arsenic' cyclocross bike. It's apparently decked out in 105 components and it appears to be a decent price. I also like the fact that it's a Canadian company, but that seems to be the only Information I can find on them. I have to admit I get kinda scared in the cyclocross forum. It's a wee bit too uppity and seemingly exclusive for my liking.

So, does anyone currently have or previously owned an Argon 18 bike? Subsequently, what are the pros and cons, strengths weaknesses or just plain old does anyone have gossip or old wives' tales about them?

X-Ray Guy
    I have never personally rode one but i have met a few people who own their road bikes on group rides. They said they really like their rides and don't have any complaints. They are a bit of a premium price brand bike similar to Cervelo if you want to compare. Their carbon frames carry 3 year warranties which is not bad compared to most other companies. I would just talk to the dealership and ask them how well they deal with warranties and typical turn around times.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC
    I have to admit I get kinda scared in the cyclocross forum. It's a wee bit too uppity and seemingly exclusive for my liking.
    I used to hang out in the cyclocross forum a bit. It seemed like a cool enough place to me. Just another group of guys and gals who really like to ride their bikes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Bikes are used by the Spidertech team

http://cyclesportmanagement.com/

I just came back from the Tour of Pelham with an Arsenic on my car (wasn't mine), but the rider has both a road and a CX Argon 18 and no complaints.

I really don't think you can go wrong an Argon 18. CX bikes are great and with a swap of tires can go from a fast paced road bike, touring bike, commuter or even take it through some all purpose trails and non technical XC riding.

Evil Jr.
    Our club's "loaner" youth road bikes are Argons too and they've done the job. Since I know you're a Hamiltonian, go visit Central Cycle, Brian might even have one on the floor.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Our club's "loaner" youth road bikes are Argons too and they've done the job. Since I know you're a Hamiltonian, go visit Central Cycle, Brian might even have one on the floor.
    That's where I'm talking about. I remember the Argon 18s from last year when they did the rebuild on my Jekyll and gave me smoking deal on my Stylo OCT cranks.

So I put it all together, a good CANADIAN made bike, great guys at a local store so I was leaning more towards it rather than others but there isn`t exactly a wealth of information about them on the net as of yet.

Central`s website lists the Arsenic at $2499 with a `full 105` build which isn`t bad considering the asking prices for used bikes on EBay not to mention the overall slim pickin`s for used cross bikes (on here, ebay or kijiji).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC
    That's where I'm talking about. I remember the Argon 18s from last year when they did the rebuild on my Jekyll and gave me smoking deal on my Stylo OCT cranks.

So I put it all together, a good CANADIAN made bike, great guys at a local store so I was leaning more towards it rather than others but there isn`t exactly a wealth of information about them on the net as of yet.

Central`s website lists the Arsenic at $2499 with a `full 105` build which isn`t bad considering the asking prices for used bikes on EBay not to mention the overall slim pickin`s for used cross bikes (on here, ebay or kijiji).
    I've really enjoy the customer service I've obtained at Central Cycle, which has caused me to drop what I consider serious coin there in the past 6 months.

If Brian is carrying Argon 18, I doubt you'll need the excessive reviews. Talk to him if you have any worries about the brand, I'm sure you will come out reassured.

Oh, and if you can go without the carbon frame, but prefer better parts (full Ultrega), I picked up a Scott Team CX from there and you'd be at a similar price point (or cheaper). Such a fun bike.

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/pr...8/55783/218128

I dd what you see there.
    Damn you. I was also interested in that one.

But without knowing the price of it, I was leaning towards the Canadian built rocket that I did know the price of, but now....

I suppose I'll just make a trip there some day and see them all!

veldrijder
    The Argon 18 is a fantastic bike and I would never steer someone away from buying one, BUT you say you're looking to ride to work and ride rail trails and for that a carbon race bike without rack/fender mounts doesn't seem like the best way to spend your money. You can probably get a more versatile frame and better components for the same money, and you won't be losing much unless you were to get serious about cyclocross racing.

mtbr member
    Noticed you made a point of saying the argons are made in Canada when you were deciding to get one but they're only designed here, they're fabricated in Asia.

Whether that changes your mind I don't know!
    Last edited by akura; 04-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005