I Like Bicycles

Anyone hit The Don lately?

Thinking of riding tomorrow. Anyone been to The Don? Is it rideable?
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I suspect it will be muddy based on reports and my own observations of the trail conditions in the last week... I always check here RIDING FEELS GOOD - View topic - Daily Trail conditions in the Don to see what people are saying about conditions.

Lemmy Rules!
    I was there yesterday, with a couple of people who know the trails way better than I and knew which parts to stay clear of. There are some muddle spots, especially towards the south end of the trails, but for the most part it was surprisingly OK. My suggestion is to stay off the ridge and to stick to the trails to the north of the bridge and the cricket tree as they are the dryest.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    rode it on Saturday. good enough if you're desperate for a ride, but definitely needs to dry out still. required a heavy duty cleaning after the ride so add that to your time for the day before you venture out until it dries better ... unless you have the free time post-ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    but definitely needs to dry out still. required a heavy duty cleaning after the ride
    I would suggest that, if your bike requires a heavy duty cleaning after riding in the Don, you are doing some serious damage to the trails.

Right now (based on what I saw on Friday) only these parts are dry enough for riding: Flats, Ridge from Millwood Bridge to Cricket Tree, and Motown. In fact, right now is a perfect time to ride Motown (as shown by VY yesterday) - no fire ants. Everything else appears to be way too wet or, as it the case with Vietnam, is still under snow. Riding the muddy Don trails will only do lots of damage to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hey smarty, appreciate the 'suggestion'. how about keeping some perspective too? the ride started DRY, then started to get sloppy ... so took the flats back to trailhead/car to leave. bike still required heavy duty cleaning when i got home, but not because i am not a good steward of the trail.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    hey smarty, appreciate the 'suggestion'. how about keeping some perspective too? the ride started DRY, then started to get sloppy ... so took the flats back to trailhead/car to leave. bike still required heavy duty cleaning when i got home, but not because i am not a good steward of the trail.
    That may be the case, but in fairness to Smarty, there was nothing about your initial post to suggest that you packed it in when you realized you were damaging the trails.
    Strava made me do it....

sheep in FOX clothing
    I went with the will of the masses and rode motown this afternoon. Not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Don is pretty good, at least 50/50 as of yesterday

mtbr member
    Conditions yesterday (Sunday the 21st) were near perfect.
    A few mucky spots still but overall very rideable.
    By next weekend it should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone ride the Don today or yesterday? looking for any update on conditions as am thinking of hitting it tonight if dry enough. thx.

pin it
    We rode the Don on Saturday. Trails were dry and fun. Rode mostly Crothers Woods and the DJs. Met up with many familiar riders

Enjoy!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    we got a ride in last night, and glad we did. was very dry and has been cleaned up pretty good. now we just need to get our legs and lungs to enjoy it properly again too, haha.