mtbr member

Anyone have tips for renting / riding in Las Vegas ?

Going to be in Vegas April 1-5th .
    Thinking of mtn biking at Bootleg and or Cottonwood .
    May even road ride as well .
    Last edited by ccaddy; 03-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I suggest making a post in the appropriate forum for Las Vegas NV, and see what the locals know. Search for bike shops in the area, see who rents, what they rent, and for what rate.

I posted on SoCalTrailriders.org or something like that a couple years ago when going to Fontana, and got a lot of advice.

mtbr member
    Been reading a thread in the Nevada section .
    While not very up to date (yr and a half old) , most info
    seems good .
    Just putting out as many feelers as I can so thats why
    I asked here as well .
    Also good to get an Ontario perspective on what was good
    or not (of those who have been there )

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When I followed the Vegas forum last year prior to my trip there last year, a good majority of the guys rode at night because of the heat. They did have lots of warnings about snakes, and other nasty critters too. There were guys offering to ride and guide in that area as well.

If you have time, and a vehicle to travel, head to SW Utah. It is maybe 90 minutes to the north east, and you will be in the Hurricane, St George area, home of Goosebery Mesa, and many more trails.

Evil Jr.
    While not riding related, I highly recommend visiting the Hoover Dam, which is just a short drive away (and visible from the plane depending on your approach). It is awesome!

Anyone have tips for renting / riding in Las Vegas ?-hoover_dam.jpg
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

Eagle Rider....

Custom User Title
    when we went, we let the good folks at Las Vegas Cyclery. (Las Vegas Bike & Running Shop - Specialized, Santa Cruz and Cannondale Bicycle Rentals, Las Vegas Day Tours, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling and Hiking. Running and Scooter Shop.) take care of us. They picked us up on The Strip, provided kick-butt Santa Cruz rental bikes and took us to the St George area guided us on the GEM trails at the Goosebery Mesa. They also run local, one day tours.

If you are going to rent a bike there anyway, talk to them.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

Lemmy Rules!
    Always double down on 11?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll be in Vegas march 21-24. I called these guys. Las Vegas Bike Shop in Boulder City, NV and Bootleg Canyon - All Mountain Cyclery
    They have guided tours but I'm only one person and they have a 2 person minimum. Bike rentals are $55 (specialized enduro or camber)but you'll need a car to get there and back. It's in boulder city roughly 30 min from the strip. Bootleg canyon is the trail out there. Trail gets great reviews and is said to have something for everyone. When are you going out there? My plan is to ride the Friday morning the 22.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    some ideas to help prep:
    re Vegas

Bootleg Canyon -- protection?

mtbr member
    I've ridden Cottonwood and Bootleg. Cottonwood is a much more casual ride on desert trails. Fairly easy trails and not a lot of technical stuff. At least not what our guide took us on.
    Bootleg was a different story. Different terrain, a lot of up and down, some steep drops, but a lot of fun! Wear knee and elbow protection while there. I manage to crack my helmet open on a rock when I fell. In fact everyone of our group came off at one point or another and the ground is mostly sharp rocks.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Thunderzy - Im there April 1-5 .
    Sorry if I mid lead you with the end of the
    month quote .... I fly out Mar 31st .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Anyone have tips for renting / riding in Las Vegas ?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I'll be in Vegas march 21-24. I called these guys. Las Vegas Bike Shop in Boulder City, NV and Bootleg Canyon - All Mountain Cyclery
    They have guided tours but I'm only one person and they have a 2 person minimum. Bike rentals are $55 (specialized enduro or camber)but you'll need a car to get there and back. It's in boulder city roughly 30 min from the strip. Bootleg canyon is the trail out there. Trail gets great reviews and is said to have something for everyone. When are you going out there? My plan is to ride the Friday morning the 22.
    You might want to reassess the trail you plan to ride out there based on your rides at your local trails. If you have trouble keeping up with others in your group on some of your local trails, Bootleg Canyon might be a bit much for you.

mtbr member
    All booked .
    Taking the Cottonwood Valley tour with Adventure Tours through Las Vegas Cyclery ,
    If I have enough energy left over , I might take a road bike out on another day .
    Contour and digital camera all packed ;-)

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I would recommend just going there and riding. I took the tour and it was overly expensive and really short (2hrs) for the price I paid. The trail head is 1km from the shop and you can't get lost, the desert is wide open. Plus you can download the trail map.
    Trails | bootlegcanyon.net

Yes there are technical trails but you could also ride easy XC stuff and work your way up the skill ladder.

mtbr member
    The deciding factor in taking the tour is that they pick you up and take you back to your hotel on the strip .
    We wont have a car and a round trip out to the shop by taxi would be $80 .
    You add that to the cost of a rental bike and one is a few bucks short of the tour price .
    No brainer .