Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anybody worn these?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SuprGrovr 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Look for something with a "gummy" or softish tread. My Garneau shoes have an excellent tread pattern on them which is absolutely useless on rocks, wood or anything hard as the compound is so stiff and hard. It reminds me of trying to get traction in one of those old Big Wheels when I was a kid.

#5 ·
I'm hoping that the softer, grippier outsoles will make up for the lack of toe-spikes. I was looking at Lake MX167's as well. They have sockets for toe-spikes and soft rubber tread, but no buckle - just 3 velcro strips. I'm worried those velcro strips might quickly wear out.

Specialized makes the Rime shoe with grippy tread, but they abandoned the ratchet buckle for their new BOA system, which seems to have some problems.

#6 ·
I have used shoes with the BOA system by Pearl Izumi and they had problems as well. I rode with a very similar shoe to what you show above years ago with good results and did not find I missed toe spikes. I now have Sidi's for places I know will not have much in the way of hiking or super tech and flats for where things are hairy and have appropriate shoes for the conditions. That is the beauty of flats sometimes. You can use hiking shoes, or even boots when wet or cold. I wear whatever will make my ride the most fun.

#10 ·
I bought the MT91's for fall and late season riding but now my dragon 2's don't get used even in the summer. I will buy another pair if these wear out, but two and a half years and no real signs of wear. The soles are great on wet rocks but i'm not sure anything is good on wet roots. I'm not sure it's a negitive but the sole is not nearly as stift as the carbon sole on the sidi's.
m2c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.