mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Anybody (any of you people..not shops) in the GTA able to rebuild FOX forks?

There is a shop in Toronto that can rebuild my Fox forks for around $100, but, I am looking to see if I can get them rebuilt a little cheaper. Can any of you folks rebuild a set of 08-09 Fox F100 RLC 26" forks for me for say $50 or less? I'd buy the seal kit.

thanks in advance for any feedback

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are you talking a full rebuild or changing the seals and replacing the oil?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At this point, I'm not sure, but the fork is about 6 years old. Moderate to low use, as in <500 km a year in the first 2-3 years, less than 50 km a year on average later years, and in actual fact, not used more than 3 or 4 times total from 2011 onward. Not used in extremely dusty or sandy conditions from what I recall. Not abused, no major problems noticed. The fork simply doesn't seem to perform as nice as I would expect. I'd say it is a bit mushy but otherwise works fine.

Unless I find somebody here willing to help with a rebuild, I will probably take it to Cycle Solutions or the Trek Store.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd say $100 is cheap if the fork is completely torn down, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. There are a lot of o rings and small parts to disassemble, service and then put back together. Of course $100 isn't cheap at all if all they are doing is changing the semi bath oil and popping in a set of seals. You need to ask 'what will be done?'

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gotcha. So how much is too much for oil and seals? How much is ok for a complete tear down, cleaning, lubing and reassembling with now seals including the smaller parts?

Workin for the weekend!
    Seems like a lot of people ask for this service, but Fox and their sh!tty Canadian distributors don't support us even remotely the same as they do in the US. Ontario needs a shop that specializes in MTB suspension rebuild and upgrades...
    Todd

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well, what's the shop's time worth and how much actual work are they doing? For instance the time to completely disassemble my old Bombers is considerable, not even touching the cartridge. Dust seals and main seals need to be pulled and then the lowers need to be separated from the arch, after removing the assembly from the upper legs, just to change bushings. This would take easily an hour to do. If I was yanking apart my newish manitou the process would be completely different in lubing up all the o rings in the two dampening cartridges and rods. The seals and oil bath is a little less of a pain. Doing a thorough job takes time. I could see an hour labour if the shop was fastidious about diassembly and thorough cleaning. $100 is very cheap for such work.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It would be nice just to change the oil without tearing it down. I thought I could do that with a Fox RLC F100.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I find it funny how people will complain when a bike mechanic will tell them it will cost $150 to service their fork. Yet won't bat an eye when the car mechanic charges them the same.

Part of what you are paying for when it comes to forks being serviced is the fact the mechanic has put the time in to learn about suspension. And for the specific tools to do the job properly.

Someone says there needs to be a suspension only shop for Ontario? If you see the market need then step right up and get the suspension works Ontario up and running.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well I'm not complaining as if its a terrible thing, I am just trying to cut my costs and the issue isn't necessarily the work, its that fewer places do Fox, so you have to pay to ship it to Fox for service. Luckily I have found at least 2 places that service Fox in Toronto and don't have to ship it. I will probably go there for my service if need be. Cycle Solutions or the Trek Store.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Anybody (any of you people..not shops) in the GTA able to rebuild FOX forks?

I would have gladly paid $100, but no one around here does it. The LBSs wanted to send it out. If you are just changing the oil & replacing the seals, it isn't a bad DIY job.

The most difficult part is determining the proper oils to use. They have charts online but finding my model was confusing. I called Fox and they were very helpful. (Turns out the Float 100 is referred to as F100.).

You also need a 26mm (as I recall) 6-point socket with the skirt ground off to remove the narrow nuts. No problem if you have access to a bench grinder.

Total cost for seals & oil was around $50US. But now I have enough oil to last forever :-). It took a little over an hour not counting my time running down the stuff.

I used Youtube but relied primarily on the stuff on enduroforkseals.com. Good seals in my experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    You also need a 26mm (as I recall) 6-point socket with the skirt ground off to remove the narrow nuts. No problem if you have access to a bench grinder.
    Lunar Bike Tools

Instead of grinding down a socket, I would get one of those wrenches. For $8 ($12 shipped to Canada if I remember correctly), its a pretty good deal. And no more slippage on the top caps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Fork Cap Wrench. I wasn't aware such a thing was available.

I paid $7 for the socket at the local auto parts place, and spent 5 minutes grinding it down. It doesn't slip. But for someone who doesn't have a bench grinder....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Or for someone who just wants more tools in the toolbox to play with

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Well I'm not complaining as if its a terrible thing, I am just trying to cut my costs and the issue isn't necessarily the work, its that fewer places do Fox, so you have to pay to ship it to Fox for service. Luckily I have found at least 2 places that service Fox in Toronto and don't have to ship it. I will probably go there for my service if need be. Cycle Solutions or the Trek Store.
    Just be done with it and send to Matt at CS. You'll forget about the $ when you get it back. Had mine done, which wasn't the FULL on which would have been over $200-$300
    He'll tell you what you minimally need based upon your projected usage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    CS = Cycle Solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by hmto View Post
    Just be done with it and send to Matt at CS. You'll forget about the $ when you get it back. Had mine done, which wasn't the FULL on which would have been over $200-$300
    He'll tell you what you minimally need based upon your projected usage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    CS = Cycle Solutions?
    sorry Yes, I deal with the Parliament store, ask for Kale.
    Matt is the head mechanic there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cycle Solutions are good people.
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    yes. they are good. I have experience with the kingston road store. I'll be going there.