mtbr member

Any trails close to Sundridge, ON?

For those who don't know, Sundridge is just East of Algonquin Park. I'll be going to a cottage up there in a few weeks, and I'm wondering if there are any local trails worth exploring up there, as the only thing that comes to my mind at this point is Buckwallow, which is not exactly close - 100km south.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Arek

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Actually it's west of the park between North Bay & Huntsville.

There are a couple of loops @ Arrowhead PP. However, you'll need a day pass to ride them.

The Seguin Trail passes under Hwy. 11 just south of Emsdale. Nothing too technical though.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Actually it's west of the park between North Bay & Huntsville.

There are a couple of loops @ Arrowhead PP. However, you'll need a day pass to ride them.

The Seguin Trail passes under Hwy. 11 just south of Emsdale. Nothing too technical though.
    Yes, sorry, I meant to write west! Thanks for the tip!

Arek

mtbr member
    oh man, when ii was a kid, my family had to stay in sundridge for a weekend for some reason....it was like hell...

the same add kept coming on the tv for cars..."sunny sundridge sells for less"....oh man... scary...
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

humber river advocate
    he will know where all the trails are... blueberrys will be out in a couple of weeks...

http://www.rickwards.com/

more trail info here...

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/Trails/trails.asp

it's a good resource to find trails to ride on.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket

more trail info here...

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/Trails/trails.asp

it's a good resource to find trails to ride on.
    And unless the trails are on Crown Land (which the map you're linking to doesn't show) you are trespassing on private property.

Taken from the OFSC's website:

Respect Landowner Property by:

1. Staying on the trail.
    2. Leaving the stakes intact.
    3. Leaving gates and fences alone.
    4. Respecting equipment and property.
    5. Avoiding farm animals and pets.
    6. Using the trail for snowmobile use only.
    7. Using the trail only for winter use.
    8. Use only when the trail is open.
    9. Respect the Landowner
    As an aside, the snowmobile club in the Powassan area has had to deal w/ trail closures resulting in major reroutes the last few years. Don't be part of the problem by MTBing where you shouldn't be.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

banned
    Feb 2005
    Nice info Revrnd about the OFSC trails, not good to see someone's work be wasted by misuse.
    Always wondered about the Seguin trail. Is it rideable / fun / worth doing?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Buckwallow is only an hour and 15m away, well worth the drive IMO.

There is also some slickrock riding in Killbear PP but you might have to canoe to find it!
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Nice info Revrnd about the OFSC trails, not good to see someone's work be wasted by misuse.
    Always wondered about the Seguin trail. Is it rideable / fun / worth doing?
    Thanks PT .

W/ the rapid growth of ATVs (and limited legal trails), the clubs are having enough of a problem dealing w/ irate landowners over ATVs riding where they shouldn't be.

(For 5 years I looked after obtaining land permission for a Peterborough County club.)

The Seguin is OK if you're in the area & want to get some riding in but I wouldn't drive specifically to ride it. Trails in the Parry Sound area

I think it's more scenic in the Parry Sound area than the area around Hwy 11.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member

Keep going North.

To North Bay, there is a couple good riding opportunities there, about 70km north of you. First is the ski hill, don't have a map, nice trails. Just park at the top or bottom of the hill, grab a trail and get lost of a while. The second is North Shore Drive, there is a well marked network of trails that are a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind the longish climb to get to them. These trails are a nice mix of tight single track and technical (but not scary) rock sections. I haven't been able to explore all of them, yet.
    Daves trails map.doc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I rode in back of Sundridge once. Started off on the 309D top trail and toured through the Round lake and Craig lake areas on a variety of roads snowmobile trails and 1 memorable ATV trail. There was also one loop in particular that was advertised locally for cycling called the ridge trail. This was back in 1996 I think so there must be tons more ATV trails in there now I would imagine. At the time it seemed to be entirely crown land in that area and I certainly didn't see any private property marked out anywhere.

Yes indeed snowmobilers do a good job of respecting private property and cyclists should do likewise, but, in my opinion snowmobilers are much less respectful of regulations on public lands. I've personally witnessed the consequences in Kolapore, and at McCrae lake where they put in a huge bridge, promised the MNR they would control access by ATV's and totally failed to do so. So if there's a little friction on their privately owned trails these days due to ATV incursions, snowmobilers are just getting a taste of their own medicine for a change.

humber river advocate
    open a dialogue with other users, you never know where it might take you...

it is a good resource to find old (public!) roads, doubletrack/trails, right of ways... use your best judgement and common sense, know the law! don't forget to do something to help the local economy... and always try to stick up for your rights as a cyclist/mtber in eastern canada.

Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    And unless the trails are on Crown Land (which the map you're linking to doesn't show) you are trespassing on private property.

Taken from the OFSC's website:

As an aside, the snowmobile club in the Powassan area has had to deal w/ trail closures resulting in major reroutes the last few years. Don't be part of the problem by MTBing where you shouldn't be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I grew up in the area, as for what we call typical MTB trails its pretty much a dead zone. There are plenty of double track trails weaving back and forth east of Pevensy heading north and south but not recomended without a guide and some research due to private land issues. Buckwallow is less than an hour away, porcupine ridge 10 mins further than that. NorthBay Trails under an hour and Minesing Trail (Algonquin Park) is a bit further yet. If you don't mind traveling your good to go, otherwise just put some miles on your saddle and ride around Lake Bernard, or even out and around Eagle Lake (west of sundridge).

ride on , wiz

humber river advocate
    thanks for the map, going to check out those trails for sure in north bay.

Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    To North Bay, there is a couple good riding opportunities there, about 70km north of you. First is the ski hill, don't have a map, nice trails. Just park at the top or bottom of the hill, grab a trail and get lost of a while. The second is North Shore Drive, there is a well marked network of trails that are a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind the longish climb to get to them. These trails are a nice mix of tight single track and technical (but not scary) rock sections. I haven't been able to explore all of them, yet.
    Daves trails map.doc

banned
    Feb 2005
    Kay "So if there's a little friction on their privately owned trails these days due to ATV incursions, snowmobiles are just getting a taste of their own medicine for a change."

What goes around comes around...Eh Kay.

MNR needed to hire a person ( likes to MTB ) for my area, just to field all the complaints coming from one area. Hikers b!tching about MTBers going too fast, MTBers and Hikers about Horse riders shredding the trails and piles of $hit, Horse people getting their horse spooked by other users not alerting them to their presents, everyone B!tching about the hunters tree stands, hunter angry that MTBers frighten the deer away, occasional 4 wheels and Motor bikes, snowshoes on cross-country ski trails, birdwatchers against dog walkers frightening the birds away, everyone B1tching about singletrack (but still enjoying using it )

The list goes on and on, this is just a small taste of the more popular ones.
    So I run into a land manager and start to talk about MTB racing.
    Land Manager... …can't you take care of this " in house" our policy is to be inclusive to as many user groups as possible until they create a problem. We can't now start classifying sub groups.

Just some of the stewardship problems and why I now stay away from attending boring government meetings.

mtbr member
    Thanks to veryone who chimed in!
    I think we will drive up to North Bay for sure, looks interesting.

Arek