Burnt Orange Lives

another zip-tie horror story...

so I wanted to change the crank arm spacing on my S-Works , to allow more space on the drive side (it was rubbing slightly under big torque against the chainstay) - known issue - warranty of course... Called Spesh warranty department and they were very nice and understanding. they knew exactly what the issue was and directed me to "any dealer in the area".

i called shop X, the guy seemed to knew exactly what i was talking about, said they had many different spacers - just come in.

so i did.

one wrench - who appeared to be the experienced one, was busy working on another bike while customer was waiting... a kid with his jeans half down, hat and cycling glasses on it takes the frame and stars looking around with WTF look on his face... the bolts come out eventually and the non drive side crank is off... the drive side crank is not coming out... he takes some huge allen key, and starts hammering it with hammer metal on metal... now my face is WTF, in disbelief... eventually the drive side crank came out...

time to mess around with spacers... at one point all spacers are messed up on the table - no idea which were on the bike which were brought out...

mmmkay, we don't have the right spacers, kid says... let's call Spesh...

the tech on the phone told them to email pictures of existing spacers.

we do that. while the crank was off, i asked them to replace the spider on it - with mine - which i brought. it is a special tool that unbolts the ring nut that holds it in place. 30 seconds job. i re-tightened it after kid laboured through it...

it was apparent that i am getting no help here - spacers that they said they had - they did not really have...

please lets put the bike together guys... kid does it but something is weird... the bearing seal is facing the outside instead the bearing...

umm, okay... not a big deal, we did not break anything, yet... lets take it off again. this time i wiggle the drive side out, instead of letting the kid bang it out. it comes out actually pretty easily...

everything is put together now and i am out the door when cashier yells at the wrench... "any charges (wrenches name)???"

yep, he said. we installed the spider...

my face is now again WTF? charge for unscrewing and screwing back the ring nut?

cashier says - $15... you got a deal... we usually charge $30 for bottom bracket rebuild, with innocent look on his face...

still in disbelief i note that the crank was off for warranty repair already and there was no bearing rebuild at all - the cashier just shrugged his shoulders...

oh well, could have been worse... i was happy that my bike was still in one piece and that the crank bolt was not striped after being banged out 3 times...

simply unbelievable... my foot will not cross that doorstep EVAR.

Called Specialized when i was back in the office. They said they would get back to me after lunch.

Called again. spacer set is on it's way to me. at least Specialized owned up immediately and did the right thing without much fuss.

i felt good. saved on zip-ties.

i think you all know which shop i was taking about...

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i think you all know which shop i was taking about...
    I feel your pain.

mtbr member
    I fix what I ride...........you just explained why...........yiks.

Evil Jr.
    Wow.

If my bike is gonna get wrecked, I'll do it myself, thank you very much!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    That is absolutely brutal. I have what amounts to a mini bike shop in the basement. The only thing I don't touch is the shock. I have a stand, crank tools, cassette, bleed kits etc. I would have been tempted to take it to a shop if it was a warranty issue though; Then you can have a record that a "qualified" person worked on it just in case. I have basically dealt with Dukes or Cycle Solutions over the last 20 years and never had this kind of issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    I fix what I ride...........you just explained why...........yiks.
    This.

Scary.

Burnt Orange Lives
    Yes it was Gears Mississauga.

I am still in disbelief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Yes it was Gears Mississauga.

I am still in disbelief.

I see what the problem is. You went into the shop to get it fixed. You are aware this is Canada right? We don't fix things here. We take it off, throw it in the land fill, and sell you a whole new one.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Burnt Orange Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I see what the problem is. You went into the shop to get it fixed. You are aware this is Canada right? We don't fix things here. We take it off, throw it in the land fill, and sell you a whole new one.
    The only reason I ever go to the shop is warranty repair. This was it.

When Specialized heard what happened, they are sending me required parts so that I can do it myself.

Kudos to Specialized. They did the right thing.

Gears made $15 for nothing but lost thousands. From me alone.

Signature

mtbr member
    What were you doing? Changing drive line offset to gain some clearance?

Burnt Orange Lives
    What were you doing? Changing drive line offset to gain some clearance?
    Yes needed more clearance.

Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I cannot speak highly enough of Specializeds warranty ppl, especially Colin.

He is the reason I ride two SWorks bikes (Tarmac SL2, Epic). Selling rocking bikes is one thing, fantastic after sale support is even more important.

mtbr member
    What brand of bottom bracket? plastic or metal spacers?
    I think I had a Race Face BB that came with plastic spacers two on one side one on the other, which ever side you put two on one of the two would break and then loosen.
    Ebay has some nice metal sets I think chain reaction does as well.
    more combinations with 1/2 size spacers.

Burnt Orange Lives
    What brand of bottom bracket? plastic or metal spacers?
    I think I had a Race Face BB that came with plastic spacers two on one side one on the other, which ever side you put two on one of the two would break and then loosen.
    Ebay has some nice metal sets I think chain reaction does as well.
    more combinations with 1/2 size spacers.
    BB30. Different ball game completely. Crank is special as well. If you add spacer on one side you have to take off same amount on the other side.

Signature

Burnt Orange Lives
    yes, ditto...
    Colin was extremely helpful. When I called the first time - they told me they could not send or sell me updated spacers as that is against their practice which protects the dealers. Completely reasonable so I went to the shop. After I shared my shop experience, they didn't say a word - just asked me for my shipping address.

I respect that. They earned a good paying customer.

mtbr member
    Ok...now I got it..... I don't have any thing with a BB30 so I had to go do some reading... looks very simple I like that.
    With the external cups we had to move the spacer as well not just take them out but there were advantages to having the 1/2 sizes.
    Interested read though

Burnt Orange Lives
    yeah, with external cups and compatible cranks - you have some wiggle room to play with the chain line. With some BB30 cranks - there is still some flexibility - like Rotor for example. But with Specialized Fact Carbon crank - there is no wiggle room. Both side spacers must be synchronized and the total width is FIXED. This is in order for spindle to "click in" properly and engage. Otherwise - a play in the spindle is created and cranks do not function properly. Ingenious design - but not flexible chain line wise at all.

I like BB30 as the bearings are larger and the system is simple and lighter.

mtbr member
    I had a real horror show with Gears many years ago. I bought the then new Shimano 4 piston XT brakes. They are now known to work fantastically well, but have a horrible break in period where it feels like they always need a bleed. After several attempts, they had their "team mechanic" work on them, and still they did not work properly. They came close to accusing me of somehow tampering with the brakes, contaminating the pads or some other thing. I even bought a second set of pads to shut them up, and the brakes still did not work right. I spoke to a mechanic at Dukes and he seemed to know all about the issue. It was not a bleed issue, but a wear in pad issue. He told me to bring the bike in and am not sure what he did to the pads (he called it dressing the pads) they worked great. I still have these brakes on an old rig, and if you change the pads, you can expect several rides of break-in.

mtbr member
    lol @ Gears.

The whole time I am reading this I am hoping Oggie is not one of those people that shortens Specialized to Spesh or Speshi IRL speaking. Because that is just throat punch worthy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

do most of my own work execpt for shocks/forks and

especially bottom brackets. Couldn't face throwing away a carbon frameset because I screwed up the bottom bracket shell. Just had my American Classic ti bottom bracket pulled out and LBS replaced the bearings that were long ago pooched. The LBS did a good job and had the bearings in stock so I got the bike back in a couple of hours.
    I don't think I could stand back and watch the guy working on your crank, prolly would have got involved when he first starting whacking on the crank arm.

Hack Racer
    This is the exact reason why I do everything myself minus wheels. I'm not comfortable building or truing wheels. The one time I had to get a wheel looked at it went to winterborne.

This goes the same with the my cars. The only thing I let the shop work on is if I need the deck planed, the bore honed bigger, the turbo/engine rebalanced and alignments. Even then I tell them what the numbers to align to.