mtbr member

No good Another Cyclist vs Car Road Rage incident

Toronto driver charged after car knocks down cyclist - The Globe and Mail

Toronto driver charged after car knocks down cyclist
    timothy appleby
    Globe and Mail Update
    Published Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 2:25PM EST
    Last updated Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 2:49PM EST
    A Toronto driver alleged to have deliberately struck a cyclist with his car after an altercation on a midtown street Wednesday morning, and then fled the scene, faces three charges including assault with a weapon.
    The 35-year-old cyclist was knocked to the ground after the motorist drove up on to the sidewalk, police said, but she survived with minor injuries.
    The encounter happened two days after Jenna Morrison, a 38-year-old pregnant mother and yoga instructor, was dragged under a truck and fatally crushed beneath its wheels while riding her bike on Dundas Street West. No criminal charges have been laid in her death.
    In the Wednesday incident, it's alleged that at around 9:15 a.m., Matthew Nettleton, 38, was driving behind the unidentified cyclist, heading south on Ossington Avenue. Both were in the process of making a left turn at Harbord Street when the driver overtook the cyclist and an argument erupted.
    Mr. Nettleton boxed in the cyclist and as she was forced up on to the sidewalk, his car also mounted the sidewalk and drove alongside her, police said.
    The woman was struck and thrown to the ground.
    Mr. Nettleton drove away but surrendered to police four hours later.
    He is charged with failing to stop after an accident, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and assault with a weapon.
    He was released on an undertaking and is to appear in court Dec. 21.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Mr. Nettleton boxed in the cyclist and as she was forced up on to the sidewalk, his car also mounted the sidewalk and drove alongside her, police said.
    The woman was struck and thrown to the ground.
    Seriously, WTF is wrong with people???!?!11?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There has GOT to be more to the story than that! Or this guy is an escaped mental patient..

namagomi
    What more do you want to know? Did the starbucks "barista" mess up his venti double-mocha non-fat soy latte 5 minutes earlier. Would that explain it? Heh!

sheep in FOX clothing
    The shocking part is that the guy (1) turned himself in and (2) was charged with anything.

I'd been led to believe that getting bumped by cars on purpose was something I would have to put up with.

If he hadn't turned himself in and they had an incomplete plate #, I wonder how hard would they have looked for him.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    What more do you want to know? Did the starbucks "barista" mess up his venti double-mocha non-fat soy latte 5 minutes earlier. Would that explain it? Heh!
    9:15 am. Yup. Sounds like a coffee fukk up.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The shocking part is that the guy (1) turned himself in and (2) was charged with anything.

I'd been led to believe that getting bumped by cars on purpose was something I would have to put up with.

If he hadn't turned himself in and they had an incomplete plate #, I wonder how hard would they have looked for him.
    Haha, not to be a skeptic, but i myself have been successfully "bumped" on purpose at least twice(one by a handicapped person behind the wheel - apparently out to handicap others) and nothing came of it from the other side. To my credit all other bumpers have failed and the ones who didn't simply ran me down while i was stopped at an intersection. Which is one reason right on reds should be banned downtown. I'm sure pedestrians will agree.

I think the large part here is the motorist turned themselves in and the recent death of another female cyclist got the police to proactively save face and write up some charges.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    9:15 am. Yup. Sounds like a coffee fukk up.
    It was definitely a "fukk up" of sorts...

mtbr member
    Toronto News: Man charged in violent driver-cyclist incident - thestar.com

more info

Man charged in violent driver-cyclist incident

Molly Hayes Staff Reporter

A man has turned himself in to police after a confrontation that led to a cyclist being struck by a car.

Police say a cyclist was travelling southbound on Ossington Ave., turning left onto Harbord St. on Wednesday morning when the incident occurred. A man driving a black Hyundai was behind her.

The driver passed the 35-year-old woman in the oncoming lanes as they both turned, sparking an argument.

Joey Porretta who works at the auto repair shop at the intersection said he heard the blare of a car horn and got to the front of his shop in time to see the cyclist kicking at the side of the black car.

I just saw legs and arms flying, he said.

The cyclist rode off and the car followed.

Further east on Harbord, near Grace St., police say the driver turned his car toward the woman, forcing her onto the sidewalk and driving alongside her. The woman was struck by the car and knocked off her bike. The driver fled.

The woman and her bike were near a small laneway behind a glass repair shop when police arrived. She suffered minor injuries.

We see it all the time here, said Porretta about run-ins between cyclists and drivers at the intersection.

Other locals agreed. They say these types of incidents are regular occurrences. Although no ones been driven off the road in recent memory.

Matthew Nettleton, 38, turned himself in to police a few hours later. He is charged with failure to stop after an accident, dangerous operation and assault with a weapon.

The incident occurred just two days after 38-year-old cyclist Jenna Morrison was struck and killed by a truck at Dundas St. W. and Sterling Rd.

No charges have been laid against the driver in her death.

With files from Chantaie Allick
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So in simple terms.. autotard was in a hurry.. cyclist was in his way so cut into oncoming traffic to make a dangerous term... cut off cyclist...cyclist took offense to driver trying to kill her.. male driver decided to impose his will on a female by using his car to make second attempt to take out cyclist.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If autotard isn't already defined like albiotard recently was, it ought to be.

namagomi
    Motorists need to know cyclists need to make left turns from the left lane a surprising many of them don't know this.

I'm sure "motortard" was going to teach her a lesson for making that left and flipped his lid when she fought back. Great stuff.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I'm sure "motortard" was going to teach her a lesson for making that left and flipped his lid when she fought back. Great stuff.
    Autotard is a much clearer definition. Motor is to close to Mototard which is a completely different sub group and we don't want to give another group credit for work they hqaven't done.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Autotard is a much clearer definition. Motor is to close to Mototard which is a completely different sub group and we don't want to give another group credit for work they hqaven't done.
    I suppose.. there are the quadtards to remember also. I wouldn't want to descriminate.