Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bi-winning

Idea! All Weather Challenge @ Hilton Falls

It goes down rain, snow, or shine on April 6th. (maybe)

Come out and ride this great fun race and support Hilton Falls, one of the finest places to ride in Southern Ontario! There are draw prizes for early registrants, and a whole bunch of categories. Some of the trail has nasty sections so ya better be good. There's rocks, roots and logs mixed in with high speed fire road. It always takes folks by surprise. Better start training! There are a couple of moderate climbs, but the main obstacle is the technical nature of the trails. Who knows how much snow is going to be left! Event goes rain or shine or snow!
    If you register before 6pm Friday (28th), you are eligible for the early bird draw, which gives away ~$1000 worth of stuff.

For more info, see:

http://www.wowmtb.com/WOW/Hilton_Fal...Challenge.html
    Last edited by rkj__; 03-31-2008 at 08:25 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    ill be there. Lets see if sobriety and winter training is what its cut out to be.

mtbr member
    Let's see if derailleurs are all that Aaron claims they're cut out to be!

Live Free or Ride!
    Hmm anybody been there recently?
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

bi-winning
    Ricksom was there on the weekend

Current Hilton Falls Conditions?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    There will no doubt be snow on the trails. There was a really frozen solid base on the trails when I was there on Friday. Very few of the rocks are even exposed, everything is filled in but choppy as hell.

bi-winning
    I'm most concerned about ice. I have no studs, and I don't want to slip an hurt myself.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Well I signed up today. I went for a ride on some rail trail today in Hamilton, it was pretty brutal. I think the best we can hope for is sub 0 weather for race day. WIth the way this winter is going, that is likely quite possible.

Hopefully within the trees and shade, there won't be significant melting to cause very icy trails (just frozen, crunchy frozen slush) as I don't have any studs either.

I'm not sure how packed down it is in Hilton Falls, or how they route the course, but there could be a fair bit of walking/running.

On a side note, I signed up online (in a bit of a hurry) and it said I would be contacted regarding a payment. I assumed I would receive an email confirmation, but didn't. Is this common or did I miss something in my rush?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    On a side note, I signed up online (in a bit of a hurry) and it said I would be contacted regarding a payment. I assumed I would receive an email confirmation, but didn't. Is this common or did I miss something in my rush?
    I have not been contacted yet. I registered online this afternoon.

The 14 day trend has all the highs above zero (but as we all know, that does not really mean too much)

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0434

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I have not been contacted yet. I registered online this afternoon.

The 14 day trend has all the highs above zero.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0434
    Good....that suggests I did things right. Always in question.

That forecast doesn't look good. I don't know these trails well, but unless they are seriously packed down well by walkers/skiers, this could be a long 20km.

mtbr member
    It is frozen but just frozen snow rather than slick sheets of ice. Grip is good, I wouldn't worry about slipping, unless it really melts and then freezes over. You definitely won't need studs.

bi-winning
    Good....that suggests I did things right. Always in question.

That forecast doesn't look good. I don't know these trails well, but unless they are seriously packed down well by walkers/skiers, this could be a long 20km.
    It was definitely a long hard race for me last year. It was raining, and kinda cold.

You can read my race report from last year here:

W.O.W Hilton Time Trial

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    It was definitely a long hard race for me last year. It was raining, and kinda cold.

W.O.W Hilton Time Trial
    Good report Ryan, got me a little more excited.

In my personal opinion however, give me cold and wet, I can deal with that. I commute daily in all weather conditions (well except that morning it was -12 and 60km/h winds). I'm used to having to ride 45+ minutes when I was too lazy to pack my rain gear (see Tuesday).

Anything more than 3" inches of potentially soft snow, that's just cruel punishment!

I'll do it, but I don't have to like it. Okay, I'l like it when I'm done, but not during!

mtbr member

W.O.W Hilton Time Trial
    Great report; the best part was the bit about visiting spokes n slopes. Your description of that shop is perfect. Looks like a bomb went off in that place.

rad to the power of sick
    Despite popular belief, it isn't an all weather challenge. In 2003 we picked up 15 cm of snow the Friday before the race, and they postponed it for a week. So im sure they'll do a prelim check and go from there.

Also worth noting, the week before has historically been a poor indication of what to expect. I think a week of days over 5 degrees should make things manageable.

bi-winning

Update

This explains why I have not been contacted for payment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Falls
    we are not sure if the race will proceed on April 6th yet. The final decision will be made on Wednesday. The race may be postponed to a later date due to the large amount of snow on the trails. As of last Friday, some trails still had over a foot of snow. I will contact you by Wednesday to let you know what's going on.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    It should be called

The All weather challenge*

*[SIZE=1]not actually all weather.

[SIZE=2]If its postponed a week later, i cant race it.. bloody exams..[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Well, from my forecasting experience, which is nothing more than me being able to distinguish white from brown, I'm guessing there will be 6+ inches of soft snow on most, if not all the trails in Hilton. Quite possible the worst and only situation to prevent the race.

With the snow we have, unless we are getting some pretty sunny/warm temperatures (that don't return to below freezing after sunset) or heavy warm rain, it could be close to the end of April before we see the snow melted in the forested areas.

I've made my bets. I signed up for Tour of Pelham. I'll race both if I have to.

bi-winning

What to do?

I've made my bets. I signed up for Tour of Pelham. I'll race both if I have to.
    I just don't know what to do, but based on the reports, it sounds like Hilton is probably a no-go. Since I have not payed yet, it's not like I am locked into that race.

Maybe I should go ahead and sign up for the Tour of Pelham? Probably... It's 35km of riding I need. O-Cup #1 is coming up on me way too fast.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I just don't know what to do, but based on the reports, it sounds like Hilton is probably a no-go. Since I have not payed yet, it's not like I am locked into that race.

Maybe I should go ahead and sign up for the Tour of Pelham? Probably... It's 35km of riding I need. O-Cup #1 is coming up on me way too fast.

I was hoping Hilton would be a go. If they say it's going on, since I did sign up, I will likely race, however in retrospect, I should have realized with the exception of sub zero temperature, this was probably pretty unlikely.

I was torn between racing the two, and similarly, I wanted to get some 'race km's' in, mostly out of curiosity to see where I a am.

bi-winning
    I was hoping Hilton would be a go. If they say it's going on, since I did sign up, I will likely race, however in retrospect, I should have realized with the exception of sub zero temperature, this was probably pretty unlikely.

I was torn between racing the two, and similarly, I wanted to get some 'race km's' in, mostly out of curiosity to see where I a am.
    I know exactly where i am, and it is pretty far from racing shape. I really want to do the Hilton Race, but I'd hate to hold out till Wednesday, find out it is canceled, and then miss out on the no extra charge food at the ToP.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Yeah, free pancakes made the potential of racing twice in a weekend worth it.

bi-winning
    I'm pulling out of the All Weather* challenge. I'll be racing the ToP instead.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder

rad to the power of sick
    Excellent. All that fireroad is going to be amazing when dry. 1.9 semi slicks anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast