mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Algonquin Provincial Park

Noticed in the latest Park Tabloid that there are plans to extend the Old Railway Bike Trail from Mew Lake to the Cache Lake Dam, Should be about 7km I think. Certainly not singletrack but a nice addition to a great park and good news for those of us with kids or friends uninterested or unready for the more technical backwoods Minnesing trails.
    If this route follows the extension of the Track and Tower trail that I have already spent some time on then it will be generally more hilly then the portion that heads to Rock lake.

I figure the cost to replace the Trestle at Cache Lake with an elevated Board walk to get the trail all the way to the highway would be quite high. But it would be nice to only have a one km or so stretch of Hwy 60 to ride before hitting the entrance to the Minnesing Trails.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Great news. Now if they could extend it to Whitney.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    That's a fun trail I've taken my family there a couple times a year for many years.
    a few more kms would be great.
    I used to run there on Canada day, HBC run I think it was I'm not sure if that still happens,
    I will keep a watch for the new extention.
    Thanks for the update

GAME ON!
    i just got back from there. unfortunately, my bike did not make the trip with me. some of the trails looked mighty inviting.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Closest thing to mtb trail I;ve riden in algonquin park is the cross-country ski trail. Double-track-ish, but not flat, so a bit off-road like. Not sure if you can still ride it.

If you want to camp, hike, swim and do a wee bit of mtb riding up north, Arrowhead Park by Huntsville has a trail around the lake there. Go both forward and backwards to get more length out of it, and there is another short trail elsewhere in the park. Not a lot of mtb riding, but, if you time a camping trip there right, you can hit buckwallow etc on the way up, and/or way back if you live in the GTA. Altogether you get in some riding.

mtbr member
    The Minnesing trail is a great ride if it's not to wet and the deer flies don't turn into a herd of moose flies.
    If you're up there camping anyways you should give it a try. I think it is the parks only mtb trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's the one. Rode it once in 1994 when I was working at Harkness on Opeongo.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Stosh (Canada) , not Stosh (USA) it is great to have a rail trail...um...MTBing expert on site.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Thanks Stosh (Canada) , not Stosh (USA) it is great to have a rail trail...um...MTBing expert on site.
    Did you miss this part of his post:

Certainly not singletrack but a nice addition to a great park and good news for those of us with kids or friends uninterested or unready for the more technical backwoods Minnesing trails
    Taking a newbie for a ride on a rail trail as an introduction to MTBing might interest them in singletrack as their skills develop.

I've ridden Minnesing twice & I wouldn't think of taking kids or newbies for a ride on any of the loops. After the rocky climb near the start, they'd probably want to turn back.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

banned
    Feb 2005
    I did not miss a thing...thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A ride anywhere off road is pretty cool in Ontario, and that is the extent of my Expert opinion.
    Anyone know where a railtrail expert can get a job in Ontario? I have one reference so far.

More importantly when it gets busy enough a special interest group could approach Ontario Parks with some detailed suggestions on how to improve or provide more flowy technical rides in all of the parks. Fitting in the proper building and maintenance of real trails is the tough part. Oh and the other trail users that sometimes have sharing issues like bear, moose and deer. I love seeing the big three, not being chased by them.

The Minesing trails are at least a ride with and amazing technical rock climb, at least on the first loop. They may still provide free camping if you volunteer for the Trail Ranger Program.

At least the railtrail starts to cut down on the road riding or drive to the trailhead if you are in a south of 60 campsite.

Stosh

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    A ride anywhere off road is pretty cool in Ontario, and that is the extent of my Expert opinion.
    Anyone know where a railtrail expert can get a job in Ontario? I have one reference so far.
    http://ontariotrails.on.ca/
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Noticed in the latest Park Tabloid that there are plans to extend the Old Railway Bike Trail from Mew Lake to the Cache Lake Dam, Should be about 7km I think. Certainly not singletrack but a nice addition to a great park and good news for those of us with kids or friends uninterested or unready for the more technical backwoods Minnesing trails.
    If this route follows the extension of the Track and Tower trail that I have already spent some time on then it will be generally more hilly then the portion that heads to Rock lake.

I figure the cost to replace the Trestle at Cache Lake with an elevated Board walk to get the trail all the way to the highway would be quite high. But it would be nice to only have a one km or so stretch of Hwy 60 to ride before hitting the entrance to the Minnesing Trails.

Stosh
    I was up camping on Basin Lake (north of Barrys Bay & west of Pembroke) last week & picked up the park paper. Here's the direct quote:

We have plans to extend the Old Railway Bike Trail from Mew Lake to the Cache Lake dam. You will learn more about this project in the months ahead.
    Seeing as the paper was written in the spring, has anyone seen or heard anything else about the project? My brother & nephew are going to be camping @ Lake of Two Rivers on the Labour Day weekend, so I'll ask them if they can get any additional info.
    Last edited by revrnd; 08-15-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    My brother & nephew are going to be camping @ Lake of Two Rivers on the Labour Day weekend, so I'll ask them if they can get any additional info.
    Might even be worth them talking a spin west up the trail that is there now.

Stosh

GAME ON!
    i went to lake of two rivers just over a month ago. i didn't see anything noting a new addition but there are some fun looking trails out there with very little pedestrian traffic
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"