mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Albion trails to recieve trail upgrades!

Good news for Albion Hills!

Tomorrow MP David Tilson will be officially announcing recreational infastructure money for Albion Hills trails! The work will be slated for completion by spring 2010! Very exciting!

humber river advocate
    his office is by the tim hortens off of highway 50...
    http://www.davidtilson.ca/

and the press release here...
    http://www.davidtilson.ca/EN/press_r...llion_dollars/

one question i would ask as a resident and business owner in caledon is why there is not a bike lane or a safe walking/cycling path/bridge over the train tracks (highway 50) in bolton? it is a disgrace that the so called greenest community in ontario is so autocentric and discourages cycling in its communties
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Evil Jr.
    Additionally, the Toronto Region Conservation Authority received $33,000 for Albion Hills Conservation Area trail enhancements.
    So what does $33K get you at Albion? A new Tea Cup, a bridge or two, crushed stone and wood chips?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    and $75'000 expansion for the bolton skatepark that maybe 5 kids use...

there are so many other projects in the area that can use some funding and get people on
    their bikes.

-like building a multi use trail up the humber river to albion
    -or the creation of safe bike paths in bolton to get people out of their cars
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the 33k from the province will be matched by the feds and the trca, so the total investment will be close to 100K into albion trails!

humber river advocate
    ummm only a third of the 33k is from the province
    quote: "The federal, provincial and municipal governments will each be providing one third"

could not find any info on match funding for any of the projects.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    it would be great to have bike paths like they have in europe completely seperate from roads so you don't have to ride along major highways (hwy 50,10, airport road etc.)and get run off the road.
    I realize this would cost alot of money and we'll probably never see it in our life time.
    but i don't think it would be asking to much to at least have a designated bike lane along the side of some of our roads as is the case in many communities in Ontario and the states.
    We seem to have fallen way behind in promoting people to get out and be able to safely ride to some of their destinations instead of taking a car for every little trip.
    the rail trails are great but to get there from my area in Mono Mills you either drive or risk the traffic on the highways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    ummm only a third of the 33k is from the province
    quote: "The federal, provincial and municipal governments will each be providing one third"

could not find any info on match funding for any of the projects.
    You can take my word on it

humber river advocate
    how true, europe and quebec also (montreal/quebec city puts us to shame)
    riding on any of these roads you are taking your life in your hands. even just crossing highway 50 at the lights is a dangerous undertaking with the red light runners and trucks.

to build an all weather all bike path running north on the humber river up to bolton and beyond would be a visionary undertaking. thousands of people would use it to access rec areas, commute, etc. it would also continue the cultural legacy of the humber river system to be used as a transportation route. but oh well, i guess collecting user fee's (wonder if they are going to go up?) and creating more places you have to drive to is more important...

Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    it would be great to have bike paths like they have in europe completely seperate from roads so you don't have to ride along major highways (hwy 50,10, airport road etc.)and get run off the road.
    I realize this would cost alot of money and we'll probably never see it in our life time.
    but i don't think it would be asking to much to at least have a designated bike lane along the side of some of our roads as is the case in many communities in Ontario and the states.
    We seem to have fallen way behind in promoting people to get out and be able to safely ride to some of their destinations instead of taking a car for every little trip.
    the rail trails are great but to get there from my area in Mono Mills you either drive or risk the traffic on the highways.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-11-2009 at 07:26 AM.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_2005
    We did S1 through S15 last saturday and one of the guys had an odometer on his bike which showed that we travelled aprox. 22.5km.
    with only three more sections of single track I don't know how there could be 50 km of trails. Unless they include all the fire road and some hiking trails.
    But if they add an additional 20 km of single track to get the 70 km they're talking about in the newspaper article that would be real cool.

humber river advocate
    yup, looks good for mountain biking...

quote from article:

"According to Edwards, the trail improvements will focus on making the hiking experience an enjoyable one for any Caledon resident.
    “It’s about getting people on the trails and having them constructed in such a way for people with disabilities,” he said.
    Edwards explained that improved accessibility means trail widths, grades and densities will need to be examined and worked on.
    Grades, of course, to make sure that the trails are manageable by all ages, and the densities will be examined to make sure trails are hard enough for someone in a wheelchair."

"Edwards also mentioned that a goal of the TRCA is to see the trail system increase from its present 50 kilometres, to approximately 70 kilometres.
    Sandals, who spoke for the provincial government’s contribution said that she knew well of the Albion Hills area as a spot near and dear to mountain bikers, and looked forward to the improvements building on the escape for all outdoors types, from the everyday hiker to this winter’s cross country skiers"

project lists/funding here...
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/708.nsf/eng/h_00019.html

faq's on the program
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/708.nsf...009.html#ques4
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Does anyone else find the signs at Albion confusing? We tried to follow the black arrow signs but there was so many of them pointing in different directions. Some were even pointing onto trails that had no entry signs posted. I know also that the trails are supposed to be one way and some of the signs were pointing back towards the trail we just had done. We ended up doing S15 (hot august nights, and it was hot!) three times!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage
    Does anyone else find the signs at Albion confusing? We tried to follow the black arrow signs but there was so many of them pointing in different directions. Some were even pointing onto trails that had no entry signs posted. I know also that the trails are supposed to be one way and some of the signs were pointing back towards the trail we just had done. We ended up doing S15 (hot august nights, and it was hot!) three times!
    Yes and no. Although I believe you are supposed to go one way on the trails, by doing so on the coloured doubletrack loops you wouldn't be able to hit all 18 numbered singletrack sections. By following those little arrows, you do go "backwards" on some doubletrack for short stretches in order to be able to hit all of the singletrack in order.

The only thing I've noticed is that at speed, you can sometimes have trouble seeing a few of the signs, as they are small, and there is a lot of forest growth this year. I once got lost around S10 or S11 due to this, but sorted it out later.

I don't know how you ended up doing S15 three times, but my guess is that you missed a sign partially obscured by leaves or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    I don't know how you ended up doing S15 three times, but my guess is that you missed a sign partially obscured by leaves or something.
    My guess would be that if Dgage is talking about a ride they did this weekend, they followed some of the 24hr course signage, which would explain how they ended up riding some sections backwards.
    Personaly, I think Albion Hills has some of the better trail marking around. There aren't many crisscrossing trails to get confused by either.

Arek

Looking for Adventure
    So what does this mean???????

"Its about getting people on the trails and having them constructed in such a way for people with disabilities, he said.
    Edwards explained that improved accessibility means trail widths, grades and densities will need to be examined and worked on.
    Grades, of course, to make sure that the trails are manageable by all ages, and the densities will be examined to make sure trails are hard enough for someone in a wheelchair."

Mountain biking in a wheel chair??? What kind of demand is there for hiking in a wheel chair??? The TRCA has really lost it !!!!!

From http://www.caledonenterprise.com/lif.../article/74295
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Paved paths and woodchips here we come.

Hardtail Freak
    I would love to see the outcome of the trails at Albion Hills....wondering what specifically they would be "upgrading". But it does sound extensive.

humber river advocate
    it's all a bit of a mystery and chances are a bit of a snore... more interesting stuff going on elsewhere. on the plus note i see more kids riding the skatepark on their bmx's in bolton. on the negative note i can see a sign being posted soon saying no bikes.
    Support TORBA

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy
    Paved paths and woodchips here we come.
    Hmmmmm, tire recommendation for woodchip trail conditions??
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way