Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Albion Reboot

Some guy
    Jul 2007

Albion Reboot

Anybody been able to ride since the trail re-opened? I suppose the weather has been too crappy. Well, I'd like to hear what people think when they get a chance to ride it.

Also, let's keep the sh!t slinging to the other thread, and use this for commentary on the new (and improved?) trails.

Lemmy Rules!
    Raced there this past tuesday night. It was as if the 24 hours of summer solstice never happened. Great job Sean and all that came out to help!

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Forgot to post that I was there last weekend. With the exception of a couple closed loops (S1 and S7 IIRC) I would agree. Since I was looking I could tell which sections had been repaired, and they probably were a little bumpier than before, but really, nobody would notice if they weren't looking.

Edit: their =/ there
    Last edited by McGuillicuddy; 07-09-2009 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. It won't be long and you won't even be able to find the old trails and know you are on a re-route.

At the end of that day I really wanted to head out on the bike and check everything out. Unfotunately I still haven't got back, but soon enough I'll see them.

mtbr member
    Thank you Chico Racing and all the volunteers.

Looking for Adventure
    I know this is now old news, but I didn't get a chance to ride Albion since Solstice until last weekend, so I know some will roll their eyes when reading this. It should be noted that most of you know where I am coming from, mainly because I suck at racing on smooth and buff trails, where speeds of 30km/hr makes me think too much about what would happen if I hit a tree. (So there, now you know why I like good old fashioned XC trails)

First impressions:

My, has the place changed! There is a lot of new trail, and a lot of closed trail. And the new trail is well worn in.....already.
    Of course, the new trail build was probably supervised/reviewed by a TRCA lawyer and insurance agent......there are no technical or physical challenges to be found......shame.

Good News:

Newbies, seasoned beginners, and families now have a great section of trail to ride without worries. On my ride I saw for the first time many new and/or casual riders who were actually smiling. They can now call this place as their turf to really offer them something worthwhile.
    Cyclo-cross racers can now use a large section of the trail to train.

Bad News:

Wow, what a mess was created in there! Unbelievable. Lots of lost trail.
    How long will it be before Tea Cup is put to rest and closed????
    Even some famous IMBA trail was destroyed.
    Many favourite challenges are now gone.
    I miss good old Sean's creative trail building designs!!!!!! (ie. Dagmar) Is his talent lost forever?????

Note to TRCA lawyers and insurance agents:

While the new trails are much safer and well graded (to reduce cardiac stress), it should be noted that riding speeds will increase dramatically. As such, you should now look forward to serious head on collisions with trees, instead of the usual scrapes, cuts, strains, and occasional broken bones of lateral falls. But then again, it is an unwritten rule in law that a dead person cannot sue......as long as they were wearing a helmet anyway.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rick,

I love you, but you need to rethink some of what you are saying.

FYI - Trails that are ridden a lot have to be created without major ups and downs or they will see lots of erosion. These past 2 seasons have been hard on "old style" singletrack due to heavy rains, tons of water.

Bottom line is that popular GTA based trails can't be old style fall lines or they will be destroyed.

I also NEVER get complaints about how "easy" Albion is from Elite level riders, it is always the Sport level riders that find it "too easy". Watch how a top Elite rider rides the singletrack at Albion vs almost everyone else and you will understand that at the speeds they ride this singletrack is technical.

If only the hardcore stuff in Ontario is technical for riders it is because you aren't riding it fast enough....

And if you are afraid of collisions with trees just slow down.... Only Elite level riders can do these trails at big speeds anyways....

Just my 2 cents.

Adam

Looking for Adventure
    I love you too man.....but Adam.....I cannot ever be very fast. No good family genes. Only good at endurance adventure style races......I always sucked at races requiring pure speed......so what does a man do at 50.

Will Sean ever build other trails for other purposes than speed???? Please?

Evil Jr.

Whoa!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Will Sean ever build other trails for other purposes than speed???? Please?
    Done! You should see the sweet trail we built in Haliburton for CTS!

Lemmy Rules!
    "But then again, it is an unwritten rule in law that a dead person cannot sue......as long as they were wearing a helmet anyway".

Dead people may not be able to sue, but their estate can sue on their behalf, whether they are wearing a helmet or not.

Of course, not wearing a helmet will typically result in a 20-25% discount for contributory negligence if it can be proven that the failure to wear a helmet caused or contributed to the dead person's death.

This has been a public service announcement.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster

Whoa!
    Have I become a cranky old man

Really, I don't mean it.....perhaps the economic climate, perhaps my lack of client work, perhaps my sad racing event season, perhaps my kids going postal without any camps or recreation activities here in Toronto....perhaps it can be true.....I have become one of those guys.............

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Of course, not wearing a helmet will typically result in a 20-25% discount for contributory negligence if it can be proven that the failure to wear a helmet caused or contributed to the dead person's death.
    You know, I was thinking about that during my lunch, and realized that too.

humber river advocate
    i've beaten some of those elite riders on a lot of the old trails in albion hills...

i would say the relative skill set of ontario elite riders has dropped quite a bit over the years, (sure there are some who are cross disciplined and i'm not talking about road riding) and as a result they need less tech trails to ride on. while the majority of people young and old seek a different riding challange of tech and progressive trails (i'm not talking about double black diamond here).

Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing
    Rick,

I love you, but you need to rethink some of what you are saying.

FYI - Trails that are ridden a lot have to be created without major ups and downs or they will see lots of erosion. These past 2 seasons have been hard on "old style" singletrack due to heavy rains, tons of water.

Bottom line is that popular GTA based trails can't be old style fall lines or they will be destroyed.

I also NEVER get complaints about how "easy" Albion is from Elite level riders, it is always the Sport level riders that find it "too easy". Watch how a top Elite rider rides the singletrack at Albion vs almost everyone else and you will understand that at the speeds they ride this singletrack is technical.

If only the hardcore stuff in Ontario is technical for riders it is because you aren't riding it fast enough....

And if you are afraid of collisions with trees just slow down.... Only Elite level riders can do these trails at big speeds anyways....

Just my 2 cents.

Adam

Evil Jr.
    FWIW, I both like the new Albion trails and miss the old ones. It just seems like people are getting all twitchy in here lately.

And now, for something completely different: a stone marimba!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you seen our performances at National Champs lately? Half the medals at a Quebec National Champs belong to Ontario!!! We're leading Canada in x-c racing....

Chris, you haven't been out to races in years and I don't even remember you racing Ocups....

Results talk....

Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    i've beaten some of those elite riders on a lot of the old trails in albion hills...

i would say the relative skill set of ontario elite riders has dropped quite a bit over the years, (sure there are some who are cross disciplined and i'm not talking about road riding) and as a result they need less tech trails to ride on. while the majority of people young and old seek a different riding challange of tech and progressive trails (i'm not talking about double black diamond here).

humber river advocate
    et alors... i think you missed what was said in the post... yes results do speak for themselves.
    and they sure don't get that way riding fast on the non tech trails in albion hills...

Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing
    Have you seen our performances at National Champs lately? Half the medals at a Quebec National Champs belong to Ontario!!! We're leading Canada in x-c racing....

Chris, you haven't been out to races in years and I don't even remember you racing Ocups....

Results talk....

Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-05-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member

Wrongo Sir!

Your comments are very unfounded as Albion is not that different from any other xc trails in other venues across the province or even into Quebec, save for the hills. You have clearly identified in your many other posts your idea of technical vs. what we x-country riders recognize as technical. I wouldn't call Albion technical in comparison to a place like Buckwallow for bike handling. But "technical" has many dimensions to it, as do the trails at Albion. The Albion trails, while not having many "obstacles", are very demanding at speed in a max heart rate state, which is what the xc community would be accustomed to. Tight singletrack, some climbing, off camber cornering, switchbacks, etc...At high speed, these elements are all defined as technical. And if you suggest otherwise, perhaps you should venture out to a Tuesday night in the next remaining few weeks and see how you fair. Not throwing down a competition, only suggesting that if you are a total slowass (no disrespect to others, it's all relative), then yes, for you it isn't technical at all.

I really don't think you would have a clue what makes any of these Elite level riders fast. Perhaps you could share some of your training expertise. Your usual thinking behind the keyboard is in full force again...

et alors... i think you missed what was said in the post... yes results do speak for themselves.
    and they sure don't get that way riding fast on the non tech trails in albion hills...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why do you have to hit something at high speed to make it technical?

mtbr member
    doesn't anyone sleep around here any more?

humber river advocate
    so albion hills is like quebec trails... ummmm like mount saint anne? (slapping hand against forehead) crap if you want to get ahead in xc either move to bc or quebec.

lol i've done a tuesday night once or twice... even on a single speed i must say my fav buckwallow trail is the weasel... like porc ridge stairway to heaven more though... on a scale of 1 to 10 these trails would be a 6 on the tech scale.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Your comments are very unfounded as Albion is not that different from any other xc trails in other venues across the province or even into Quebec, save for the hills. You have clearly identified in your many other posts your idea of technical vs. what we x-country riders recognize as technical. I wouldn't call Albion technical in comparison to a place like Buckwallow for bike handling. But "technical" has many dimensions to it, as do the trails at Albion. The Albion trails, while not having many "obstacles", are very demanding at speed in a max heart rate state, which is what the xc community would be accustomed to. Tight singletrack, some climbing, off camber cornering, switchbacks, etc...At high speed, these elements are all defined as technical. And if you suggest otherwise, perhaps you should venture out to a Tuesday night in the next remaining few weeks and see how you fair. Not throwing down a competition, only suggesting that if you are a total slowass (no disrespect to others, it's all relative), then yes, for you it isn't technical at all.

I really don't think you would have a clue what makes any of these Elite level riders fast. Perhaps you could share some of your training expertise. Your usual thinking behind the keyboard is in full force again...
    Support TORBA

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    In principle I don`t find this hard to believe at all. There are tons of great riders out there who either have no interest in racing, or have been there done that and just ride for kicks now. It`s not in any way inconceivable that one of these riders could be quicker than an Elite licensed rider in some trail segments.

That being said, inquiring minds still want to know if you`re just talking out of your ass here. You must have clearly identified them as Elite riders because... let`s see... you inspected their race licenses? Or because you know who the Elite licensed riders are (not too hard to keep track of since there's only about 50 in the province) in which case you can tell us specifically who it was that you put the beat down on? You must also have agreed with them to have a little impromptu full gas race, so that you could be positive that they weren't just spinning around for some giggles, while you were instead trying to prove some point that only you were aware of?

i would say the relative skill set of ontario elite riders has dropped quite a bit over the years.
    Maybe true, maybe not. Could you explain how you came to this conclusion? Have you been a regular spectator at races over the years, and paid special attention to the Elite category in particular each time to note this degradation in skills? Tough to do, since mutliple Elite and non-Elite categories are all out on the course at the same time. No doubt you must know and recognize all the individual riders by sight to be able to make that distinction.

humber river advocate
    why so defensive? there is nothing wrong with easier trails for xc racing. actually i'm all for it, but back on subject... yes i watched a few "elite" races and was impressed by some of the riders... schnell comes to mind. most where, what!? you had to dismount over that?
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-07-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by McB
    The new re-routes are good on S1 and S17 and were needed regardless of the 24 hour.
    Agreed. We rode S17 and S1 backwards, in that order, on Tuesday, and the re-routes are every bit as fun as the old trails. (Except maybe that silly hairpin on S17... )

mtbr member
    No kidding...And just what we need on here, Larry and Curly working together with their unfounded banter.

Quote Originally Posted by McB
    Dude,

You really got to get over the 24 hour.. I don't remember you ever thanking Chico for the much needed changes to S2, S3, S5 last fall.. All you have been doing is whining about that damn 24 hour that you never helped fix.. The new re-routes are good on S1 and S17 and were needed regardless of the 24 hour..

Please get your panties out of that knot and do us all a favour and shut it..
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast