max_29

Albion HIlls- trail etiquette and rules.

So i'm grunting my way up a Goat Path and there's a family of 4 hiking the same way with a dog not on a leash. I made a call to make a pass. They aknowledged my presence, but haven't moved aside from a trail. Instead, a dude (head of a family i assume) pulls a map and shows me where it clearly says:
    "Cyclists yield the right of way to hikers"

Well, rules are rules. Being polite and co-operative was not on that booklet

Shouldn't there be another rule for shared use on singletracks?
    How about slower moving object yields the right of way to a faster one?

No. Just No. Moderator
    I'm struggling to find the right wording for this situation, but their interpretation of "Cyclists yield..." is obviously an incorrect treatment in this scenario, and doesn't demonstrate a lot of common sense or cooperation. Not traits I'd want to put on display for my children.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Albion HIlls- trail etiquette and rules.

Maybe yielding the ROW it'd y'all are going opposite directions, but slower should always yield to faster if headed in same. IMO

More than a little slow
    I have a feeling we are going to be encountering situations like this more and more frequently, esp. at Albion Hills and other conservation areas. The guy was/is a douche. There's lots out there.
    I don't know how to deal with it. Being polite doesn't really work but being an assh.. whatever, back doesn't work either.
    I'm curious. What did you do?????
    Cheers, Dave

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    I have a feeling we are going to be encountering situations like this more and more frequently, esp. at Albion Hills and other conservation areas. The guy was/is a douche. There's lots out there.
    I don't know how to deal with it. Being polite doesn't really work but being an assh.. whatever, back doesn't work either.
    I'm curious. What did you do?????
    I've dismounted, pointed out that on the same page there's a rule about keeping dogs leashed, walked around them and countinued to ride (i'm telling you, starting SS on a climb is no fun ).
    There was no point in debating with someone who just "does not get it"
    waste of time.
    In all years of riding anywhere and sharing trails with hikers, runners, equestrians or whoever else, this was the first time i've encountered such behaviour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That guy most likely drives 100 in the left lane of the 401 as well.

humber river advocate
    this is a fact of life in crowded muti-use conservation areas/parks.
    the hiker was right, you have to yield. this failing to yield is the biggest complaint hikers have against us. one can not expect or demand people to get out of your way. it is much better to wait until the trail is clear, dismount, or session the section. being polite and co-operative is always our responsibility, plus it goes a long way with regards to trail advocacy.

dogs off leash is a constant issue pretty much in any park. best to register a compliant with the park. if you find the trails to crowded for your riding it is also a good idea to register a compliant with the park. this is an indication that trail user density is to high and that the trail plan shoul be altered to fix the issue.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 05-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I encountered one of these in Guelph lake who yelled at me when I called ahead on the Single track for a pass and he *****ed about the bikers wrecking the forest, I then asked him who built the trails and he couldn't answer it, so I reminded him it was MBer's and carried on.

I was also cut off and stopped by a guy in a Tacoma on my way to work last week when i made a legal pass around him and he tried to punch out my window to get to me. It's going to happen everywhere you go as there are people who feel entitled to some sort of power over others.

Karma will kick them in the ass one day, its just a matter of time and them calling out the wrong person.

mtbr member
    I expect hikers or bikers to get out of the way when I ask politely to be allowed to pass them. Holding somebody up one narrow trail is poor etiquette weather you are a hiker or a biker. Fortunately not all hikers or bikers are such a-holes.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    I have had pretty good luck with hikers. Twice, I have had a group sort of cheering/encouraging me up steeps. A whole family clapped at the end of a particularly grueling climb. Maybe they can't believe the big guy could make it. I give hikers plenty of notice and slow down (not when climbing as I am not speedy that way) and seem to get pretty good responses. We get positive comments at Hilton Falls/AF when they see us go over stuff they can hardly walk over. I have had to stop for families not because they were being difficult, but because they did not seem to get their act together to get out of the way. No biggie though.

You can't expect to be going at race speeds during busy days. Also most hikers will not understand how hard it is to get started on a hill, especially SS. They will not know/care that they are ruining a nice flowy descent. If you put yourself in their shoes, you will see a maniac on a bike barreling up or down on their family. A good sign explaining MTB's and how they work and some general rules of etiquette might help.
    And yes, lots of ignorant a...holes too out there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've had an encounter with an unleashed dog last year where I warned the owner that it is unsafe to unleash their dog with bikers around while I was walking my bike past them and mounted back on about 30 feet ahead of them. As soon as I started to move again the dog ran up and hit my tire which made me fall and when I got up the owner yelled at me for being unsafe and trying to hurt his dog. Many people out there are ignorant but that's life.